Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I actually don’t think he played that well tbh
Canucks hit 2-3 irons + Kulak saved a goal from the goal line

Pickard was lucky

Do the Oilers go back to Skinner who brought them here? Or do they start a career jounrney man who could very turn back into a pumpkin

As Tom Barrasso said, “You want me to save the shots that aren’t going in?”

A post is a close miss but still a miss.

He was under siege for two periods and it still came down to a nifty little back heel and a friendly bounce.

I don’t think Skinner played behind a more poorly playing Oilers team. Vancouver having a lot to do with that.

But hey, could be wrong.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Any pro goalie can step in and take a team the distance. Any "proven" star #1 can melt down and be terrible. Having The best player in the world playing injured isn't in the same stratosphere as some goalie being out, and another one standing on his head.
Playing injured or just struggling against strong defense.
I think it’s lazy to blame every l stars poor performance on injury. Even superstars like McDavid have poor stretches of play.
McDavid’s skating looks fine. I suspect he’s just burnt out from playing 29 minutes a game.

Reactions: stampedingviking

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Any pro goalie can step in and take a team the distance. Any "proven" star #1 can melt down and be terrible. Having The best player in the world playing injured isn't in the same stratosphere as some goalie being out, and another one standing on his head.

I don't understand how a key player doesn't count for one team but it does for another.

Demko has been a large part of the Canucks success. If your team is built that way (instead of just having forwards, forwards and more forwards) losing a key part isn't diminished because other teams in the league view goaltending as a completely separate thing that doesn't, ackshully, count.

But I guess Kiprusoff wasn't all he was cracked out to be if 'anyone' can play goalie, lol.

Also, won't this be like the third post-season in a row where McDavid was playing injured? Injuries are a part of playoff hockey and teams have to adjust to them. Either by having depth (LOL) or playing through it.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Oilers fans : We just need a goalie who can make big stops when we give up chances.

Canucks fans : Our team let's the other team shoot from the outside and limit the amount of times our goalie has to make big stops.

Reactions: DL44 and geebster

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
No, actually, you twisted what I said. An investment in goaltending might get you $10 Bills Bobrovsky posting an .896 so far, or "Vezina-level" Hellebuyck putting up .870. Silovs has stepped in and approached the arbitrary "good" performance of .915. Post pics of the badge, though.

Not having an adequate roster also gets you the current year Edmonton Oilers.

Roster construction matters. If any bum can take a team through the playoffs Campbell would still be in the crease, lol.

Reactions: I am toxic

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Avsfan1921 knows more than a former NHL ref.., who almost always sides with the refs and cheers for the Oilers. Not reading the rest of what you put, not worth the few seconds.
I don’t agree with the former ref. And you don’t agree with the current one that made the call. Get off your high horse lol.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

Roster construction matters. If any bum can take a team through the playoffs Campbell would still be in the crease, lol.

There's still a chance he starts Saturday!

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
The Canucks playoff bubble success was clearly legit playoff experience, certainly more than people wanted to admit. It was always laughable to me that the Oilers were favourites because of the Canucks lack of "experience".

Reactions: I am toxic

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Got it. Goalies are arbitrary and totally interchangeable. Skinner, Demko, Hasek, who cares? Invest heavily in forwards and cover them in bubble wrap = success.
No actually. Despite you attempting to cloud the issue with inane irony, I was talking about McDavid playing injured, specifically. If Ryan McLeod was playing injured, maybe Demko's absence is more impactful.

Playing injured or just struggling against strong defense.
I think it’s lazy to blame every l stars poor performance on injury. Even superstars like McDavid have poor stretches of play.
McDavid’s skating looks fine. I suspect he’s just burnt out from playing 29 minutes a game.
Again, I'm not saying he's injured. I was speaking on the hypothetical. Like if he's legitimately hurt, and can't raise the puck or something

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Or what, we'll get called for charging? :sarcasm:
Hey now, let’s not JUMP to conclusions

The Canucks playoff bubble success was clearly legit playoff experience, certainly more than people wanted to admit. It was always laughable to me that the Oilers were favourites because of the Canucks lack of "experience".
Playoff success is drastically overblown here, its really not that big of an impact

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
No actually. Despite you attempting to cloud the issue with inane irony, I was talking about McDavid playing injured, specifically. If Ryan McLeod was playing injured, maybe Demko's absence is more impactful.

Again, I'm not saying he's injured. I was speaking on the hypothetical. Like if he's legitimately hurt, and can't raise the puck or something

McDavid is still on the ice isn't he?

Or do you just think that his lowered production is only due to his potential injury, and not the system the Canucks play, not the Canucks players limiting McDavid's effectiveness 5 on 5?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

I was speaking to the fact that a third stringer came in and has performed satisfactorily, and the Canucks are still in it. I wasn't suggesting that literally any goalie will come in and baseline a .950 and win the cup.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
McDavid is still on the ice isn't he?

Or do you just think that his lowered production is only due to his potential injury, and not the system the Canucks play, not the Canucks players limiting McDavid's effectiveness 5 on 5?
I'm not suggesting anything. I don't believe his injured. I only saw this today, and was speaking about hypotheticals. Does that compute?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Ok.

I guess you guys are the favourites.
Of course the Canucks are, they have the better record, better goaltender, better defensive system, and 4-0 vs the Oilers going into the playoffs.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Of course the Canucks are, they have the better record, better goaltender, better defensive system, and 4-0 vs the Oilers going into the playoffs.

Well, hopefully they can finish them off, or all the pressure will be on them in Game 7 not to choke.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I was speaking to the fact that a third stringer came in and has performed satisfactorily, and the Canucks are still in it. I wasn't suggesting that literally any goalie will come in and baseline a .950 and win the cup.

I wouldn't argue 'any' goalie could jump in. EG, I wouldn't want Dan Cloutier jumping in and taking over.

The point I was making is that Oilers faithful will moan and complain about 'injuries' or 'PDO' or 'luck' or 'biased officiating' or 'Connor had a hangnail' when most of those things affect both teams. But it only 'counts' for the Oilers and if they go on to win the series, Demko being out is a non-issue because the Canucks were the frauds they always knew they were.

Steve Yzerman won a Cup on one leg. Injuries are just something you have to be ready for in the playoffs. Sometimes you have an answer, sometimes fate goes 'lol, no.'

Reactions: ziploc

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I wouldn't argue 'any' goalie could jump in. EG, I wouldn't want Dan Cloutier jumping in and taking over.

The point I was making is that Oilers faithful will moan and complain about 'injuries' or 'PDO' or 'luck' or 'biased officiating' or 'Connor had a hangnail' when most of those things affect both teams. But it only 'counts' for the Oilers and if they go on to win the series, Demko being out is a non-issue because the Canucks were the frauds they always knew they were.

Steve Yzerman won a Cup on one leg. Injuries are just something you have to be ready for in the playoffs. Sometimes you have an answer, sometimes fate goes 'lol, no.'
I would suggest to you, that at any point in his career, Dan Cloutier could step in and do what Silovs is doing. You're talking at some imaginary Oilers fan. I hate the Oilers. I was only suggesting, if McDavid was playing hurt enough to hamper him, it's a bigger impact, because goalies are voodoo.
Even the supposed bonafide star number 1s, the select few, Demko, Shesty, Vasy, Hellebuyck, I wouldn't bet on a team based on them being the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad