Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Sure, but one of the few scrums where a player gets crosschecked into the teeths...

The Nucks fans should stop looking for excusses for their players, like McD fell into the crosscheck into the face.....
Like I said, don't go into the most pit if you don't want to get thrashed.

Nothing that Soucy or Zadorov did would've been more than a minor penalty. In fact, the only penalty called on that play for was 2-minutes for cross-checking to Soucy.

1715607907973.png

The timing of both occurring at the same time is unfortunate but it doesn't cross the threshold of targeted or premeditated.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
As an Oilers fan, It really would be hugely disappointing if the prime years of McDavid/Draisaitl end up being wasted like the Canucks org did with the prime Sedin/Luongo years.

I'm unsure if this is a jab or a legit comment, but in reality, it's very hard to win in the playoffs these days. There can only be one winner, our of 32 teams, and with the rigors of the NHL playoffs other factors like injuries play a major part as well.

With the Sedins / Luongo we did make it to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I understand the logic of "cup or bust" but in reality success can be measured in different forms than that.

With that said, when you have the best player in the world on your team, the bar is a bit different. The comparison should be more so to a team like the Penguins when Crosby / Malkin were in their prime.

But you know... Edmonton is a good team... All this "blowing it up" talk is insane. Go trade for a legit goalie, build some depth, and run it back. That would be whether they win it all or lose somewhere along the way.

I would be surprised if there is anything more than a fine for Soucy. There are too many mitigating factors to what occurred:
  • McDavid initiates with the two-handed slash.
  • Soucy and Zadorov take offense to that and simultaneously react.
  • Zadorov’s blow knocks McDavid lower before Soucy can adjust his angle.
  • McDavid seems to be perfectly fine.

There wasn’t the premeditation or targeting of the head that typically causes a suspension in these sorts of incidents. Unfortunate circumstances but it doesn’t rise to the level of dirty.

Don’t go to the mosh pit if you don’t want to get thrashed, etc.

That is my thought on this as well. As a hockey fan you don't even want to see a cross check to the face, especially when a star player is on the receiving end. I don't blame Oiler fans for being upset, but this is more of an unfortunate circumstance than anything, I don't really see it as suspension worthy.

With that said, I'm wondering how this would have been looked at if it happened in game. If there is an accidental hit to the head, it's still a 5 minute major in most cases where the player misses the rest of the game. If they are looking at it like that, then I don't know, maybe a 1 game suspension? It just seems a bit crazy to hand out a suspension on this when these was zero intent with the action, but I suppose that's the logical case that I could make for a suspension...

Reactions: Duder54

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Oilers fans still thinking McDreamy was a victim of assault. Dude two handed chops a player AFTER THE GAME like he's trying to cut down an old oak tree and people expect it to go un answered? Get real. The only reason it looked as bad as it did is because he was already on his way down from the back shot he took. Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Got what he started.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'm unsure if this is a jab or a legit comment, but in reality, it's very hard to win in the playoffs these days. There can only be one winner, our of 32 teams, and with the rigors of the NHL playoffs other factors like injuries play a major part as well.

With the Sedins / Luongo we did make it to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I understand the logic of "cup or bust" but in reality success can be measured in different forms than that.

With that said, when you have the best player in the world on your team, the bar is a bit different. The comparison should be more so to a team like the Penguins when Crosby / Malkin were in their prime.

But you know... Edmonton is a good team... All this "blowing it up" talk is insane. Go trade for a legit goalie, build some depth, and run it back. That would be whether they win it all or lose somewhere along the way.

That is my thought on this as well. As a hockey fan you don't even want to see a cross check to the face, especially when a star player is on the receiving end. I don't blame Oiler fans for being upset, but this is more of an unfortunate circumstance than anything, I don't really see it as suspension worthy.

With that said, I'm wondering how this would have been looked at if it happened in game. If there is an accidental hit to the head, it's still a 5 minute major in most cases where the player misses the rest of the game. If they are looking at it like that, then I don't know, maybe a 1 game suspension? It just seems a bit crazy to hand out a suspension on this when these was zero intent with the action, but I suppose that's the logical case that I could make for a suspension...
The cross check is on par with the Nurse boarding. It’s karma really

Oilers fans still thinking McDreamy was a victim of assault. Dude two handed chops a player AFTER THE GAME like he's trying to cut down an old oak tree and people expect it to go un answered? Get real. The only reason it looked as bad as it did is because he was already on his way down from the back shot he took. Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Got what he started.
Reap what you sow kind of situation. What happened to McDavid was 100% caused by mcdavid

Darwin101

Mar 9, 2014
Few reasons why this isn't a suspension.

1. The Mcdavid cross check wasn't intended for the face, it was bad timing where Soucy intended to cross check Mcdavid in the chest, but since Zadorov pushed McDavid he fell forward at the same time and therefore the contact point became the face. That is out of Soucy's control.

2. This wasn't an isolated incident. McDavid pretty viciously two handed Soucy which caused the ensuing situation. Both parties were involved.

3. McDavid was completely fine.

4. It's the NHL playoffs, and this wouldn't even be talked about if it wasn't the NHL's shining star.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
The media, like the Hockey News, has posted a video of the incident only starting after the McCheeses two-handed slash.

The Canucks are doomed.
I'm shocked (not sure why) oilers fans are saying one or both of our guys should be suspended and I think they believe that.
Mc Cro-Magnon slashed first in a much more aggressive manner targeting a spot injured early.
Zads slash was not hard and soucy's only ended up looking bad because Mc damaged chromosomes fell forward.

The but shot on Hogz and the slew foot on Quinn were worse IMO.

I'm actually surprised overall at a lot of comments from oiler players and fans.

When you get 22 shots and only one is a high danger shot, you are not outplaying a team but instead playing right into their plan.

The fact they can do this with the #3 goalie is such a testament of how good this team is.

Oilers tried it in game 1 and we scored four goals in like 8 minutes, nucks did it for literally two full periods.

Like Tochett has said all playoffs, that's Vancouver hockey and were not gonna apologize for it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah cross checks to the face are part of the game good call

I mean every canuck fan is still crying over am accidental highstick from game 2
That's what I find rich, they talk about the McDavid high stick incessantly - which was a terrible missed call - like he Gustav Nyquist'd him in the face. When McDavid was looking behind his shoulder and Quinn basically skated into his stick. But laugh and cheer and meme about actual stickwork to the face after the play. The slash McDavid gave would never possibly cause injury but it's justified he takes a cross check to the back and face due to it. And the lies that Soucey did nothing before that - although it wasn't enough to deserve a slash. Just like a slash doesn't justify a cross check to the back and face.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Ok I get it now. It’s ok to crosscheck someone in the face if they’ve first been crosschecked from behind after the whistle.

Thanks. That makes so much more sense. I guess that explains why they didn’t call the high stick by McDavid on Hughes. Hughes turned and it’s not McDavid’s fault that Hughes turned his face and got hit by the stick.
You missed the point entirely. There will be nothing because there was absolutely no intent to get him in the face any jag off can see that. It was also followed by a much harder two handed slash form #97. There was also not even an injury of the slightest on #97.
End of the day of all slashes, #97's was easily the most violent considering he swung it like a fuc*ing bat.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sedin core went to the cup final and won a couple presidents trophy. Their prime wasn't wasted - it just wasn't good enough to win a cup.

McDrais prime has actually been wasted thanks to poor drafting, cap and roster management.
I'm a canucks fan but it seems like some people don't understand how hard it is to win a SC.

Even the canucks going to the finals in 11 where a couple of Dave Bolland games away and a Brian Campbell goalpost from not getting out of the first round.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
That's what I find rich, they talk about the McDavid high stick incessantly - which was a terrible missed call - like he Gustav Nyquist'd him in the face. When McDavid was looking behind his shoulder and Quinn basically skated into his stick. But laugh and cheer and meme about actual stickwork to the face after the play. The slash McDavid gave would never possibly cause injury but it's justified he takes a cross check to the back and face due to it. And the lies that Soucey did nothing before that - although it wasn't enough to deserve a slash. Just like a slash doesn't justify a cross check to the back and face.
Take a breather. Focus on the players, teams, and series. Not the fans and posters.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
McDavids face went into the stick, the stick didn’t go into McDavids face. Just like the high stick you described

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad