Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
I'm amazed this perception still exists.

The Sedins were two of the biggest class acts in NHL history on and off the ice for 20 years. They were clean players and they didn't dive. At all, really.

And this isn't because I'm a Canuck fan. I'll freely admit that Pettersson is cut from the same flopping cloth as McDavid and Draisaitl and when the Canucks need a PP he'll intentionally skate into contact and get himself 'picked' to draw penalties. Ryan Kesler would dive when the situation called for it.

But the Sedins didn't. Except for one time in the 2011 Finals when they were getting frustrated that literally nothing was being called and Daniel took one painfully, embarrassingly bad dive that was the most obvious thing ever and people remember that - and it was obvious because this was not how they played. They stayed on their feet and cycled the puck and fought through hooks and holds and crosschecks that were never called properly for their whole careers.
No bro they’re identical twins insert incest joke here

Reactions: Nopefully and MS

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Didn't see Hughes face hit, but if McDavid did this on purpose, he's in the wrong too.. NHL should have a zero tolerance for sticks to face, head, neck area, and have a huge punishment for doing so. But...., with players being expendable to leagues, even with some fans, doubt a rule like this gets done.

Two wrongs don't make a right is another simplistic lesson many fans could also remember.
Soucy didn’t intend on hitting him in the face, issue solved.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
They are the 2 most dislikable stars in the league.

Even their media is dislikeable and still saying Edmonton is clearly the better team.
The better team doesn’t always win. It’s about being able to turn it on and keep it on in the playoffs, and the Oilers have realized they have a 5 man unit and nothing else going for them. They’re screwed unless they can spread the depth or get bottom 6 scoring.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
You don't game the system by whining to the refs.

If all McBaby and Crysaitl does is cheap shots and dive, the refs can only do so much for them.
Well I just think it’s kind of a silly, useless thing to harp on. JMO. This isn’t my rivalry, so I’m neutral here.

OTOH - getting McDavid to actually play in his own end, and not completely blow his assignments (like on the second? Boeser goal). That’s some actual hockey criticism, and something he’s lacking in his game that is hurting his chances of ever winning a Cup.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Unsung hero so far is Ian Clark. Always producing good starters for the Canucks. Best goalie coach in the league. He got Silovs prepared today.
Conversely the Oilers have had the same goalie coach for over a decade and it shows.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
McDavid has played through more hooks and holds than the Sedins did combined in their entire careers.

It's actually really funny how tilted people get at the world's most boring dude just going out and being better than everybody at something.
Does it get tiring to make excuses? Granted the Canucks have been very shit for very long but at least Toronto fans have somewhat landed in reality and realized their golden children aren’t as infallible as they thought. Or are we still doing the “it’s not fair because it’s McDavid!” Things?

Hockey is a team game. Perhaps if the oilers were a team instead of two really good guys and some dudes who are dodging criminal charges. For the close to $15 million you guys are paying Nurse and Campbell, you could have a JT Miller and Brock Boeser! How cool is that?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Well I just think it’s kind of a silly, useless thing to harp on. JMO. This isn’t my rivalry, so I’m neutral here.

OTOH - getting McDavid to actually play in his own end, and not completely blow his assignments (like on the second? Boeser goal). That’s some actual hockey criticism, and something he’s lacking in his game that is hurting his chances of ever winning a Cup.

Why would McDavid play defense if the owner/GM/coach/fans will all just shift the blame to others??

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

McDavid doesn't mess up in his own end any more than most star forwards. He definitely gets bailed out less often by his goalie when he does, though.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Sedins were amazing till they met Boston. They dismantled SJ in the WCF . Henrik had 12 points in 5 games .

The Canucks PP was really deadly, but when it got late to the Stanley Cup when fewer calls were made, Boston had all the advantage.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
The Canucks PP was really deadly, but when it got late to the Stanley Cup when fewer calls were made, Boston had all the advantage.
Im not sure what the twins have to do with anything because unlike the leadership of the oilers, they’ve actually led a team to the finals.

Yes I know: sisters, soft, Swedish, bunk bed. Consider me burned.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

McDavid is averaging 27:19 TOI/game in this series thus far, that's not normal for a forward - there's going to be some give and take regarding his effort in his own end, which is also why I don't think he can win in Edmonton, that organization has been mishandled so bad for so long that I think they've topped out with their salary cap dynamic, and also the fact that while they do have their own draft picks next year and the year after, they won't be high enough to be a difference maker.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Does it get tiring to make excuses? Granted the Canucks have been very shit for very long but at least Toronto fans have somewhat landed in reality and realized their golden children aren’t as infallible as they thought. Or are we still doing the “it’s not fair because it’s McDavid!” Things?

Hockey is a team game. Perhaps if the oilers were a team instead of two really good guys and some dudes who are dodging criminal charges. For the close to $15 million you guys are paying Nurse and Campbell, you could have a JT Miller and Brock Boeser! How cool is that?
I mean they could probably still have found a way to have JT Miller and Brock Boeser last year when nobody in Vancouver wanted them if they tried hard enough. But the Oilers haven't had a GM in the McDavid era with the ability to find a way.

I think that's a problem if you look at their goaltending record.
Calling it a problem is probably an understatement at this point.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
I'm amazed this perception still exists.

The Sedins were two of the biggest class acts in NHL history on and off the ice for 20 years. They were clean players and they didn't dive. At all, really.

And this isn't because I'm a Canuck fan. I'll freely admit that Pettersson is cut from the same flopping cloth as McDavid and Draisaitl and when the Canucks need a PP he'll intentionally skate into contact and get himself 'picked' to draw penalties. Ryan Kesler would dive when the situation called for it.

But the Sedins didn't. Except for one time in the 2011 Finals when they were getting frustrated that literally nothing was being called and Daniel took one painfully, embarrassingly bad dive that was the most obvious thing ever and people remember that - and it was obvious because this was not how they played. They stayed on their feet and cycled the puck and fought through hooks and holds and crosschecks that were never called properly for their whole careers.
Apologies, I was more trying to argue that Oiler fans who hated the Sedins for how they played should be looking in the mirror. I love the Sedins, and would take them both on my team 10 times out of 10. I have them at 1 and 2 on my “Best Canucks of All Time” list. They did tend to go down rather easy at times though, and that’s not including the famous flop.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
I mean they could probably still have found a way to have JT Miller and Brock Boeser last year when nobody in Vancouver wanted them if they tried hard enough. But the Oilers haven't had a GM in the McDavid era with the ability to find a way.
Lmao it’s so funny you guys get gifted the best player in the world and still need to make up excuse of why the oilers can’t win with him. Canucks had a literal drunk toddler running their front office for a decade and they’re still in a better competitive position than McDavid and the dudes who sign for league minimum.

I said it before the series started and I’ll say it again: no one is afraid of a team with Darnell Nurse in their top 4. It’s been argued ad nauseum why Big Man Go Boom < Small Man With Norris (probably) but I’m happy to outline it again for you if you need a refresher.

Reactions: JKG33

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Lmao it’s so funny you guys get gifted the best player in the world and still need to make up excuse of why the oilers can’t win with him. Canucks had a literal drunk toddler running their front office for a decade and they’re still in a better competitive position than McDavid and the dudes who sign for league minimum.

I said it before the series started and I’ll say it again: no one is afraid of a team with Darnell Nurse in their top 4. It’s been argued ad nauseum why Big Man Go Boom < Small Man With Norris (probably) but I’m happy to outline it again for you if you need a refresher.
Yea I'm not really tracking your argument here. Are you saying McDavid should be winning even though his team is shit or are you saying that the organization failing spectacularly to build a team around him isn't a valid excuse?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

Nurse, Kane, Ceci, Campbell.

And you can't even get rid of them either.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Oilers have time to right this ship, but man the Nurse-Ceci pairing is a disaster. That, coupled with the complete liabilities they have as options between the pipes will lead to outcomes like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad