Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Have they? They've done the "hang on for dear life and turtle" in 2 of the 3 games so far. I don't know if that strategy will hold out over 7 games.

I didn't see an attempt at a nickname, you spelled Ekholm and Bouchard correctly. 5/5 adulting.
Called him McDouble for eating two (well really eating 1) cross check.

Might lose some of my adulting points.

Canucks also only turtled for the third period today, I’d also expect playing 3-4 players ~30 mins a night also isn’t a recipe for success when you’re playing physical playoff hockey every second night

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Sedin's are the reason I never liked the Canucks during that era sorry Vancouver fans the truth hurts they were like McDavid take every opportunity to dive. Van is nothing like that now.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
The Oilers first line is great but besides that dominant line there’s no one else, the 2 other forwards I noticed tonight besides the big line were Kane & old man Perry, that’s not even close to good enough. It’s amazing how they haven’t managed to add anything depth wise in the past 3-4 years, that’s on the GM. Oilers have no 2nd line, no 3rd line, no 4th line, and weak goaltending. They have 2 superstars plus Hyman & Bouchard and a whole bunch of plugs, Holland needs to be fired.
I mean how can u notice the other players if they never get to play

Reactions: Hank Plank

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Nah, she has all her teeth… the bar is low.

Called him McDouble for eating two (well really eating 1) cross check.

Might lose some of my adulting points.

Canucks also only turtled for the third period today, I’d also expect playing 3-4 players ~30 mins a night also isn’t a recipe for success when you’re playing physical playoff hockey every second night

Alright, 7/10 for McDoubles. It's unique so i'll give it a bonus

• Love
Reactions: Bizzare

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Anyone saying a slash deserves a stick used as a deadly weapon are sadly mistaken.
  • Any shot to neck, face, or head is dangerous and deadly.
  • Good chance we'd all be charged with assault if we did this, wouldn't we?
  • Kucherov back of neck crosscheck could've been deadly these playoffs.
  • McDavid's neck crosschecks tonight could've been deadly these playoffs.
  • There's plenty more examples throughout the yrs.
  • Suppose NHL, and some fans will need player(s) killed, before realizing a very simplistic lesson many already know.... A slashing isn't comparable to a stick to face, head, or neck
Ahhh now here is the guy truly in an alternate reality.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Check out the shift chart and ice time for the oilers in game 3:

That's just some crazy usage of the Oilers big-5 unit in the third period. McDavid, I believe, played 13:24 in the third period alone.
Over 65% of a period, that is bonkers for a forward. From a Canucks fan POV, I'd rather play against 80% effective McDrai for 13 minutes vs 100% McD for 9 minutes.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
It’s sooooo early into the playoffs for McDavid and Draisaitl to be playing 30 minutes a night. They might claw back and win the series, but I think Oilers fans have to be seeing the writing on the wall here. Fans are begging for Calvin Pickard. Calvin Pickard.

Canuck fans may chant ‘Skinner’ a bunch to try and get in his head, but it’s the Edmonton fans really playing mind games on him. The first bit of adversity the Oilers face in the playoffs and Skinner gets absolutely dogged. Maybe Pickard becomes a playoff hero, but I don’t really see it. 30 minute games for your forwards and a goalie controversy against the Canucks with their third string goalie? Good luck in the next round.

Reactions: Nopefully

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I mean, it's pretty accurate.

I've watched a lot of sports for a long time and I've never seen such a miserable, unlikeable, ceaselessly whining star player.
Over the years I’ve come to accept that it’s smart to use your star power to work the refs, etc… If you’re the “face of the league” then use it to your advantage. We saw the same from Crosby (and all the dumb nicknames we used to use like Cindy Crysby). Other sports: Tim Duncan, LeBron, Brady, and now Mahomes.

They’re all whiners. But it works - the refs are human and get star struck even if they don’t realize it. It’s annoying to watch as fans, but it’s smart to game the system any way you can.

I do agree though, that McDavid does appear uniquely miserable most of the time - he’s just an awkward dude, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: BERTUZZZZi

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
The Sedins never elevated their games in the playoffs, not a great comparison.

It's probably not a good comparison because McDavid is looked at as potentially being a top-5 player when it's all said and done, and Draisaitl is looked at as a generational talent while the Sedins were looking more like busts in the initial years of their careers. They've also made a Stanley Cup Final - sure, they didn't win, but it's a helluva lot more than getting swept in the conference finals as your career accomplishment in the playoffs, and the way things are trending that may end up being their career best playoff accomplishment

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Over the years I’ve come to accept that it’s smart to use your star power to work the refs, etc… If you’re the “face of the league” then use it to your advantage. We saw the same from Crosby (and all the dumb nicknames we used to use like Cindy Crysby). Other sports: Tim Duncan, LeBron, Brady, and now Mahomes.

They’re all whiners. But it works - the refs are human and get star struck even if they don’t realize it. It’s annoying to watch as fans, but it’s smart to game the system any way you can.

I do agree though, that McDavid does appear pretty miserable most of the time - he’s just an awkward guy, lol.

You don't game the system by whining to the refs.

If all McBaby and Crysaitl does is cheap shots and dive, the refs can only do so much for them.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
I mean, it's pretty accurate.

I've watched a lot of sports for a long time and I've never seen such a miserable, unlikeable, ceaselessly whining star player.
He’s literally the most un likeable pro athlete. No personality, constantly complains, never gets held to any standard and excused for any action.

I thought Crosby was dry but McDavid literally is the dude who threatens that his mom will call your mom for being mean to him.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
McDavid's whining to the refs is beyond unbecoming at this point.
I really don't understand how non-Oiler fans can think he "deserves" a Cup.
It's an absolute joke that some people view him as the face of the league.

If I were an Oilers fan (god forbid) I don't know how I could in good conscience encourage my children to cheer for that loser of a human.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
McDavid sticking his stick into Hughes's face could have ended his career.
Didn't see Hughes face hit, but if McDavid did this on purpose, he's in the wrong too.. NHL should have a zero tolerance for sticks to face, head, neck area, and have a huge punishment for doing so. But...., with players being expendable to leagues, even with some fans, doubt a rule like this gets done.

Two wrongs don't make a right is another simplistic lesson many fans could also remember.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
McDavid and Draisaitl are quite similar to the Sedins in how they expect the refs to help them at every turn. Modern day sisters?

I'm amazed this perception still exists.

The Sedins were two of the biggest class acts in NHL history on and off the ice for 20 years. They were clean players and they didn't dive. At all, really.

And this isn't because I'm a Canuck fan. I'll freely admit that Pettersson is cut from the same flopping cloth as McDavid and Draisaitl and when the Canucks need a PP he'll intentionally skate into contact and get himself 'picked' to draw penalties. Ryan Kesler would dive when the situation called for it.

But the Sedins didn't. Except for one time in the 2011 Finals when they were getting frustrated that literally nothing was being called and Daniel took one painfully, embarrassingly bad dive that was the most obvious thing ever and people remember that - and it was obvious because this was not how they played. They stayed on their feet and cycled the puck and fought through hooks and holds and crosschecks that were never called properly for their whole careers.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
He’s literally the most un likeable pro athlete. No personality, constantly complains, never gets held to any standard and excused for any action.

I thought Crosby was dry but McDavid literally is the dude who threatens that his mom will call your mom for being mean to him.

McDavid started complaining in his head the moment it was revealed to him that he's going to Edmonton after the draft lottery.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
McDavid's whining to the refs is beyond unbecoming at this point.
I really don't understand how non-Oiler fans can think he "deserves" a Cup.
It's an absolute joke that some people view him as the face of the league.

If I were an Oilers fan (god forbid) I don't know how I could in good conscience encourage my children to cheer for that loser of a human.
As a Canucks fan that sat through 2011: if you’re going to shit about the refs not giving you enough power plays because you can’t score otherwise, you’re probably gonna lose.

Maybe if Kenny Holland stopped letting McCryBaby play GM the Oilers would have like $8M to sign a real player rather than having Jack Campbell and Connor Brown farting around doing sweet f*** all. Next they’ll hire McDavid’s preschool teacher to be the team sports psychologist and all Oilers fans will champion how this is totally not a nepo hire.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Didn't see Hughes face hit, but if McDavid did this on purpose, he's in the wrong too.. NHL should have a zero tolerance for sticks to face, head, neck area, and have a huge punishment for doing so. But...., with players being expendable to leagues, even with some fans, doubt a rule like this gets done.

Two wrongs don't make a right is another simplistic lesson many fans could also remember.

Watch the replay with multiple angles.

McDavid sees Hughes coming, then lifts his stick and turns his head to watch his stick, then contact was made.

Best player in the world knew where his stick was.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
McDavid has played through more hooks and holds than the Sedins did combined in their entire careers.

It's actually really funny how tilted people get at the world's most boring dude just going out and being better than everybody at something.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad