Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
It’s weird because the Oilers had good defensive stats after the coaching change.
But having Ceci-Nurse as your second pair just doesn’t inspire confidence that the group is on par with Nashville’s.
In fact, I always thought the Oilers D would be their undoing.
I just can’t see that group holding up against Colorado or Dallas even if they get by the Canucks.

Ceci and Nurse have dirt on management and coaching - only way to explain their ice time/deployment. Everyone and their dog could see that pairing would be the thing to kill the oilers. Playing out in real time like it did the last couple years.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
It’s weird because the Oilers had good defensive stats after the coaching change.
But having Ceci-Nurse as your second pair just doesn’t inspire confidence that the group is on par with Nashville’s.
I just can’t see that group holding up against Colorado or Dallas even if they get by the Canucks.
That pair has been sus all year, but I don't believe they or any other NHL calibre defensemen can have a worse game than that. Looked like two forwards moved back to play d on a beer league team and then preceeded to completely shit the bed.

I expect the oilers to have a bounceback game tomorrow but thought the Canucks also looked a little rusty so I expect them to be better too.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

It was really more a compliment to Nashville I thought, Brunette got every guy buying in, the way they fronted shots & eliminated the middle of the ice was extremely impressive. They rly elevated their defensive game in the playoffs.

I do think EDM can play better defensively than they did but I don't know if its in their DNA to play that way for a full series like Nashville did, and it probably shouldn't when your as dangerous a rush team as they are to be fair. They want to be pressing & trying to get it up quick when a turnover happens.

I did think early on EDM looked more connected defensively than I was expecting but it kinda went away, I'm sure we'll see better in game 2.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Ceci and Nurse have dirt on management and coaching - only way to explain their ice time/deployment. Everyone and their dog could see that pairing would be the thing to kill the oilers. Playing out in real time like it did the last couple years.
Maybe all of this gets addressed if Holland retires this summer, you never know. They need a smarter dman to pair with Nurse because that pairing is an adventure in every zone.

Reactions: BurnabyJoe7

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It was really more a compliment to Nashville I thought, Brunette got every guy buying in, the way they fronted shots & eliminated the middle of the ice was extremely impressive. They rly elevated their defensive game in the playoffs.

I do think EDM can play better defensively than they did but I don't know if its in their DNA to play that way for a full series like Nashville did, and it probably shouldn't when your as dangerous a rush team as they are to be fair. They want to be pressing & trying to get it up quick when a turnover happens.

I did think early on EDM looked more connected defensively than I was expecting but it kinda went away, I'm sure we'll see better in game 2.
Yeah I don’t think people gave Nashville the credit they deserved. The whole team bought in.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
EDM coach saying this wasn’t a melt down lol

Well, he's not wrong. The Oilers managed 8 shots over the final two periods. A meltdown is more like what the Preds did in Game 4 where they blew it in overtime after largely controlling play throughout the game. The Canucks outplayed the Oilers for basically the last two periods. I guess if a team can "meltdown" over 2/3rds of the game, but that's usually just called getting outplayed.

Reactions: Uhmkay and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That edmonton PP is still beyond deadly
its gonna win them a few games I think so.

but people are realizing Vancouver's defensive structure is pretty legit 5v5
edmonton had like 12 shots with less than 6 minutes left in the 3rd
they turn the neutral zone into quick sand or attempt to.

the shot totals in nashville were very low.

We've been absolutely stifling in terms of limiting shots/chances through the end of the season and through the first 7 games of the playoffs. Absolutely checking teams into the ground and it's why we've kept winning even when the scoring has dried up.

The structure and intensity Tocchet has the team playing with defensively is about as good as it gets and there are literally no weak matchups for the opposition to try to exploit. Miller-Pettersson-Lindholm-Blueger is four very good two-way/defensive Cs and then you have Hughes-Hronek, Zadorov-Cole, Soucy-Myers as your D pairings. No soft spots there, unlike Edmonton where their bottom-6 and the Nurse-Ceci pairing are prone to getting trucked.

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Huge Jekyll and Hyde

if by that you mean he's really good against a team that shots from far with barely any traffic and terrible system that doesn't allow for opportune scoring chances VS he's a sieve infront of actual solid teams

yeah Jekyll & Hyde

Reactions: 333359

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The funny thing with Skinner is that I thought he was actually really good through 40 minutes for Edmonton. Vancouver was absolutely carrying the play in the 2nd period and he made some really strong saves (plus the Garland breakaway early) and then Edmonton got two weird/weak goals and all of a sudden it's 4-1 and at that point I thought Skinner had probably been their best player and they were extremely fortunate to have that lead.

And then he just imploded in the 3rd period.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Hard to say. I think it would benefit the Oilers to some degree.
Can’t be worse than what happened

The funny thing with Skinner is that I thought he was actually really good through 40 minutes for Edmonton. Vancouver was absolutely carrying the play in the 2nd period and he made some really strong saves (plus the Garland breakaway early) and then Edmonton got two weird/weak goals and all of a sudden it's 4-1 and at that point I thought Skinner had probably been their best player and they were extremely fortunate to have that lead.

And then he just imploded in the 3rd period.
It’s obvious to say that the GWG was a backbreaker, but what else was the defense supposed to do there? They pushed him to the outside and forced a horribly angled shot which snuck in. That goals all on Skinner.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
That pair has been sus all year, but I don't believe they or any other NHL calibre defensemen can have a worse game than that. Looked like two forwards moved back to play d on a beer league team and then preceeded to completely shit the bed.

I expect the oilers to have a bounceback game tomorrow but thought the Canucks also looked a little rusty so I expect them to be better too.
Neither of them are NHL caliber defencemen though.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
if by that you mean he's really good against a team that shots from far with barely any traffic and terrible system that doesn't allow for opportune scoring chances VS he's a sieve infront of actual solid teams

yeah Jekyll & Hyde
Not just comparing to the Kings series. During the season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad