Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM01 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 5-4 (Joshua, Lindholm, Miller, Zadorov, & Garland) | LET’S GOOOOOOO

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It was a big deal, especially in Latvia. Nobody is arguing that.

It is nothing like the NHL playoffs. It's like saying that the WJCs somehow prepare you for the NHL playoffs. They don't. It isn't the same thing.

And yes, the WCs are a B tournament. It isn't a best-on-best Olympics situation.
We will simply have to agree to disagree on this one. The point I'm making is that, despite a terrific year with us Silovs is getting literally zero respect from a significant percentage of the Canuck fanbase and it is clear by following the GDT's etc. that there are a lot of people who would rather put in a not-quite-healed Demko or even DeSmith over Silovs despite his great play so far which to me is just asking for trouble. We all know that if the team does that and we lose the excuse will be "he was still injured". Thankfully I think he is still the only really healthy goalie in the top 3.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We will simply have to agree to disagree on this one. The point I'm making is that, despite a terrific year with us Silovs is getting literally zero respect from a significant percentage of the Canuck fanbase and it is clear by following the GDT's etc. that there are a lot of people who would rather put in a not-quite-healed Demko or even DeSmith over Silovs despite his great play so far which to me is just asking for trouble and we all know that if the team does that and we lose the excuse will be "he was still injured". Thankfully I think he is still the only really healthy goalie in the top 3.

I've watched almost every game that Silovs has played as a pro and as I said before I was probably his first biggest backer on this board.

He's very inconsistent, runs very hot/cold, and is prone to bad goals at bad times especially when it comes to tracking pucks on long shots.

He was on an absolute heater to close out the 22-23 AHL season and carried that through the WCs.

This season, he regressed and was often outplayed by Tolopilo in the AHL. He probably has more upside than DeSmith ... but as we saw yesterday, that comes with a risk of some really bad stuff happening, too.

I think he should keep his net for tomorrow's game based on how well he played to close out the Nashville series and that you don't start juggling goalies in the playoffs especially after wins ... but if he has another stinker, you have to go back to DeSmith. And people aren't crazy for preferring the 'safe' option there.

Back to the WCs, the biggest difference there (even moreso than the calibre of players and the attention/fans/scale of the games being played) is that he was playing there with basically no pressure. Total underdog team with nothing to lose, wouldn't take an ounce of criticism if he allowed a bad goal in a loss at any point. Totally different that being in the NHL playoffs for a 110-point team where literally every play is scrutinized into the ground.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I've watched almost every game that Silovs has played as a pro and as I said before I was probably his first biggest backer on this board.

He's very inconsistent, runs very hot/cold, and is prone to bad goals at bad times especially when it comes to tracking pucks on long shots.

He was on an absolute heater to close out the 22-23 AHL season and carried that through the WCs.

This season, he regressed and was often outplayed by Tolopilo in the AHL. He probably has more upside than DeSmith ... but as we saw yesterday, that comes with a risk of some really bad stuff happening, too.

I think he should keep his net for tomorrow's game based on how well he played to close out the Nashville series and that you don't start juggling goalies in the playoffs especially after wins ... but if he has another stinker, you have to go back to DeSmith. And people aren't crazy for preferring the 'safe' option there.

Back to the WCs, the biggest difference there (even moreso than the calibre of players and the attention/fans/scale of the games being played) is that he was playing there with basically no pressure. Total underdog team with nothing to lose, wouldn't take an ounce of criticism if he allowed a bad goal in a loss at any point. Totally different that being in the NHL playoffs for a 110-point team where literally every play is scrutinized into the ground.
I too have followed him since he was a teen; for whatever reason I notice Latvian players when they cross my radar (although Blueger is a recent discovery for me). He apparently began the year with a bunch of challenging personal baggage to take care of (divorce and his granny's possible deportation from Latvia to Russia) and Abby didn't play great in front of him either though I didn't watch them much this year. Bottom line is that he's played very well in the NHL and is currently on a bit of a run so unless he really comes unglued I think he stays in. Your last paragraph made me laugh out loud; Silovs himself said that the home crowds in Latvia are tough and will boo a player at the drop of a hat. If he crapped the bed in the big game he would be tarred and feathered. No pressure my eye!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Currently on the can.

Feels good.
KfoNZ0Z - Imgur.gif

• Haha

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know the scoreboard said 5-4 and the Canucks had to come back from a three-goal deficit, but if you look at this game in its totality, the Canucks really did dominate after the end of the first period.

But for some shaky work by Silovs and Cole, this game would have been a lot more lopsided than the score indicated. And the positive thing from Vancouver's perspective is that it was a relatively quiet night for Hughes. and the PP.

He's bound to make a difference in one or two of these games as we move further into the series.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
The main thing about the playoffs so far for me is that the Canucks were looking (or at least thinking) of ways to offload guys like Boeser, Garland during the offseason - and - Lindholm, whom they just acquired and now these guys have been key to Canucks playoff success. (Just need more from Pettersson.)

Also, this comeback win, coupled with that AMAZING Game 4 win over Nashville now puts belief in this Vancouver team (and fear into the opposition) that Vancouver can come back into the game no matter the score, or how the Canucks have played thus far.

Reactions: Nopefully

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Where is all his anger towards Vancouver coming from though? It's honestly a little scary.

Dude was an Oiler player circa 2011 and he's basically a walking stereotype of the bizarre jealous hatred from that city of that era's Canucks.

They were in last place like 10 years straight and living in a shithole city with Shawn Horcoff as their best player and their Stanley Cup became cheering for the better team with better players in the nicer city to fail. And a disturbing percentage of their fanbase is still exactly like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad