GDT: [WCSF GAME 3] | Edmonton Oilers vs Anaheim Ducks | 4.30.17 | 5:00PM | SN | 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Horrible start. Great second, right up until the softie, and a third that wasn't all that bad, except we made a pair of dumb mistakes at the worst possible times and the Ducks capitalized.

Keep that second period energy in mind and use it in Game 4. I had a bad feeling about tonight.

My gut feeling was telling me the same also. The whole day for games 1 & 2, my mental mood was the Oilers are going to win tonight. Yesterday, I just started having that sinking feeling they would likely lose this one.

Oh well. Just like the 7-0 loss, park it and forget it. They still have the lead in the series and just like after the San Jose game, they're on home ice right after.

I expect a much different result Wednesday night.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Still winning the series and stole home ice away. Not Talbot's finest and defensive zone coverage was pretty putrid by both sides. Ducks just buried their freebies.

Zero reason to panic. We're still in the drivers seat.

not only that but we likely weren't winning this thing 4-0, and the Ducks weren't all that great in this game tbh

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He slapped it up the boards. Why the eff would you take a goddamn slapshot from behind your net?

It was a stupid play and he knows it.

It's a stupid play because Getzlaf was in position to pick it off but it's a really common breakout that both teams in this series will do from time to time. The point is for the winger to tip it in at center and have it pop out to the middle to a supporting forward or more often have it tipped in deep and allow two forwards with speed to get in on the forecheck, leaving two Duck forwards behind the play and the defense flatfooted holding the blueline.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Is there a more useless player than Eberle? Can't believe he managed 34g 76 pt in a season before. Supposed to be in his prime now and he's putrid.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Because Larsson isn't a dumb dumb. He's a better passer, thinker, and all around just better than Nurse.

There wasn't a single reason for Nurse to try that play.

Yeah, there wasn't. But you are bashing the play, saying nobody does it(tons of teams do it)

Now you're saying it was just Nurse being a dumb dumb.

What is it then? A bad play or a player making the play at a bad time? Huge difference.

It is a play that nobody notices when it works, but everyone rips on when it fails. I've seen it work tons this season.

vsove

Apr 13, 2017
Edmonton, AB
My gut feeling was telling me the same also. The whole day for games 1 & 2, my mental mood was the Oilers are going to win tonight. Yesterday, I just started having that sinking feeling they would likely lose this one.

Oh well. Just like the 7-0 loss, park it and forget it. They still have the lead in the series and just like after the San Jose game, they're on home ice right after.

I expect a much different result Wednesday night.

Yep. Game 4 will be a huge one, and the Oilers aren't going to come out forgetting how to play.

I think we're just cursed this year so we don't close out a series at home.

Everyone on this team knows what they did wrong. Just learn the lesson and come out hard on Wednesday.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Because Larsson isn't a dumb dumb. He's a better passer, thinker, and all around just better than Nurse.

There wasn't a single reason for Nurse to try that play.

:laugh: You said you don't see defeseman slapshot around the boards and now your changing it to Adam Larsson is better than Nurse.

I like Larss, but he played like crap too today.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, there wasn't. But you are bashing the play, saying nobody does it(tons of teams do it)

Now you're saying it was just Nurse being a dumb dumb.

What is it then? A bad play or a player making the play at a bad time? Huge difference.

It was a stupid play by a not-that-great defenseman. Maybe it's just me but I didn't see a single reason to try it. Not now, not ever. You're risking a turn over. Just pass it to a forward in flight.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Just cannot get that Talbot **** up out of my head.

Oilers have insane momentum and a goal from MVP and he just pulls a Dubynk.
I absolutely love Talbot but that triggered me hard.
Forget about this game. It is one game , we focus now on winning and playing better in game 4. Nobody said it was going to be easy and the Ducks are a good team. Being up 2 games to 1 is a position any oiler fan would love to be in now. Oilers now need to show character again and come back strong next game and Talbot will bounce back. This is what makes series fun, there are ebs and flows from game to game.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Nurse putrid Eberle putrid Tmac coaching putrid every flipping tv time out twice with Letestu back out than at start of game he puts Letestu out 2nd shift of course he loses faceoff instead of hey let's put our best player out there boom goal. After 4-5 min delay after review you I am going to put Letestu line out there again so Ducks can build confidence to shut down rest of game. never seen a coach that wastes tv timeouts and breaks like Tmac

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
not only that but we likely weren't winning this thing 4-0, and the Ducks weren't all that great in this game tbh

Nope they weren't. They were better in game 2. Just one of those games where everything they tried offensively worked.

Gibsons series of 4-5 grade A saves when it was 4-3 was the difference.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
45 years of watching hockey.
Screaming like an idiot to the TV since 1979 when the Oil joined. I have to honestly admit this now -

I GUESS I HAVE NO F ING IDEA AFTER ALL THIS TIME WHAT OFFSIDE IS.

It's judged differently against the Oilers, if that was an Oiler goal it's offside for sure. It's been a joke all year. Kessler got a freebie after that too by holding McDavids stick RIGHT in front of the ref. Although in saying that McDavid needs to stay hard on Kessler there and take away the rebound.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Complete bad luck goal, we should have tied it in the first part of the third. They come back and once that 5th goal was called for Anaheim, you knew this game was over. All the air out of the team and the building - young, inexperienced and emotional. 100%, if that's called for Edmonton, energy's back and we score to tie and win this game.

Chin up, don't spot them 3 goals in the first, and use those new look lines.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
This series is gonna ride on Draisaitl and RNH if it continues like it did tonight. McDavid now saddled with 2 boat anchors on his wings while also having to deal with Kesler on home ice.

Good news is Drai is winning the Getzlaf match up.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It was a stupid play by a not-that-great defenseman. Maybe it's just me but I didn't see a single reason to try it. Not now, not ever. You're risking a turn over. Just pass it to a forward in flight.

It's a play that's made when there is no option for a forward in flight. Forward tips the puck at the red line to the center of the ice or into the zone so the forwards can attack with speed. The Ducks players are going to be ahead of the Oilers forwards which allows them to gain the zone with speed.

It's a good play used at a bad time. That's it.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
ANA got timely goals... first one shut the crowd up the first min of game... The one after McDavid goal broke the back.. Its alright park it n move on

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's a play that's made when there is no option for a forward in flight. Winger tips the puck at the red line to the center of the ice or into the zone so the forwards can attack with speed. The Ducks players are going to be ahead of the Oilers forwards which allows them to gain the zone with speed.

It's a good play used at a bad time. That's it.

Then skate it out. There wasn't a single Ducks forward close to Nurse.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Welp, that second period was maybe the best period they played all season long. Unfortunately Talbot let in one softie and it was sandwiched by two periods of dog poop.

If McDavid can learn to unleash his shot like that he is going to be the best player in the game by a mile.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins is a winger. I've said this for like a year+ now. He is a winger. Play him on the freaking wing. There's no shame in it, Duchene, Mackinnon, many others have started at center and moved to wing. He is much better at wing. Draisaitl is better at center. Play RNH at wing with McDavid or Draisaitl and he will score points.

Eberle is useless. Cannot play playoff hockey.

The opening goal play we got burned on was smart by the Ducks, can't even be mad at that. We'll have to learn from that.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Doesn't matter what Nurse did wrong, how they started the first. It was 3-3. They came back to tie it. That 4th goal sucked the energy right out of the building.

This absolutely. Talbot cannot let that in. Add to that Gibson making 4-5 unreal stops in the next few minutes and the game was lost.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Nope they weren't. They were better in game 2. Just one of those games where everything they tried offensively worked.

Gibsons series of 4-5 grade A saves when it was 4-3 was the difference.

Yea definitely gotta give credit to Gibson. If he doesnt save the duck bacon there, we might have a very different game.

But of course with the way the oilers were playing, the ducks winning this game felt inevitable. Just too many give aways, not hard enough on the body or the puck. Speaking of which I feel like the oilers have really laid off the physical play. Why not get back to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->