Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Honestly I'm not mad at Vegas' success. They picked a team in the modern NHL where speed and goal scoring wins. They're benefitting by being ahead of the curve where teams like LA/ANA are still adjusting. I definetly felt the sharks were the ones best in the pacific to beat the knights, but it will be a close series. PDB is great at preparing a team and they always seems to get the correct reads on goalies. I think the extra rest and prep will be huge for the sharks and benefit them more than the knights. With that said, I think people are angry because of how hard it is to win the cup and the knights fanbase haven't felt that yet. Interesting enough the Sharks have the record for worst inaugural season, if anyones going to dish that blood its them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Mosher

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Honestly I'm not mad at Vegas' success. They picked a team in the modern NHL where speed and goal scoring wins. They're benefitting by being ahead of the curve where teams like LA/ANA are still adjusting.

Not hard at all when one gets to:

1- Draft experience NHL players.
2- Contracts are already known.
3- Is the only one drafting.

Give it a couple of years. Las Vegas will be struggling with the rest of the NHL on player retention, cap limits, drafting, and free agency, as their player contracts expire and they have to competitively draft.

The Sharks had nothing remotely similar to the advantages when they were an expansion team. Management had to fight, crawl, and scratch their way into putting together a competitive team.

Last edited:

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
Not hard at all when one gets to:

1- Draft experience NHL players.
2- Contracts are already known.
3- Is the only one drafting.

Give it a couple of years. Las Vegas will be struggling with the rest of the NHL on player retention, cap limits, drafting, and free agency, as their player contracts expire and they have to competitively draft.

The Sharks had nothing remotely similar to the advantages when they were an expansion team. Management had to fight, crawl, and scratch their way into putting together a competitive team.

Whats preventing teams like arizona from targeting solid 3rd liners to roll 4 deep and be competitive. It seems everyone is looking for that star 1st liner when role players are availible without a super high price to pay. Got to learn to walk before you run. League parity is high so depth is important. Good on Vegas to recognize. Theyve earned it but now they will have to prove they are more than a solid team.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Whats preventing teams like arizona from targeting solid 3rd liners to roll 4 deep and be competitive. It seems everyone is looking for that star 1st liner when role players are availible without a super high price to pay. Got to learn to walk before you run. League parity is high so depth is important. Good on Vegas to recognize. Theyve earned it but now they will have to prove they are more than a solid team.
Exactly, I think the Leafs are experiencing this now.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I think VGK stole at least one win vs SJ in the regular season, particularly the first one (it was very chippy). The last couple of games the Sharks looked different (better/faster) and I think this series will be decided by the play of Kane. He scares me. I voted VGK in 7, but, hey.. I'm a Vegas guy. What do I know?

You know nothing, you have paid no dues

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

What prevents teams from getting solid players? How about the teams those players are on and the contracts the team already have. Teams already have 3rd lines and just can't acquire a whole new line, its constant chasing as players become available and your teams contracts expire. Thats if teams are trading away those players and if they are worth the price it takes to get them

Tatar got a 1st, 2nd and 3rd?

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
maf > jones

if sj can't break this story line, it's probably another sweep

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
maf > jones

if sj can't break this story line, it's probably another sweep

How can this be so easily said? Jones has proven even just in this playoffs that he can be just as good as fleury.

And the sharks faced a team with a way more dangerous of an offense then the kings have.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Has anyone pointed out the obvious?

Evander Kane around Vegas for a week or two.

Yikes.

lol

Or maybe the team stays somewhere closer to home.

I think it's safe to say that the trade to SJ was the best outcome for him personally and for his career long term IF he stays. Not worried about him at all anymore.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It’s funny that people think that Vegas is winning because of their depth. Their depth is mediocre. Their stars are their team. MAF, Marchessault, Karlsson. Perron, Neal, Schmidt, Miller. They aren’t winning because of their third line or bottom pairing.

Yup. It makes me cringe when I hear our announcers say "this team was picking every team's 7th best forward, they don't have any 4th liners". Tuch is the only forward outside of their top-6 whose production is equal to or above satisfactory for his role, and the Sharks' entire 3rd line has better production than Tuch.

You forgot Fleury in your list of stars, but this is absolutely accurate. In my opinion, the difference in this series will be San Jose's depth. All that San Jose needs to do is hope that their legitimate, proven stars (Kane, Couture, Thornton, Pavelski, Vlasic, Burns) can equal Vegas' one year wonder stars in a 7 game series. If that happens, San Jose's depth will absolutely eat Vegas' depth alive and that will make the difference in the series.

Vegas' 3C, Cory Eakinwould be a healthy scratch on San Jose. He would literally be like the 17th best forward. I believe Vegas will really regret not going after a 3C at the TDL.

Reactions: Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Yup. It makes me cringe when I hear our announcers say "this team was picking every team's 7th best forward, they don't have any 4th liners". Tuch is the only forward outside of their top-6 whose production is equal to or above satisfactory for his role, and the Sharks' entire 3rd line has better production than Tuch.

You forgot Fleury in your list of stars, but this is absolutely accurate. In my opinion, the difference in this series will be San Jose's depth. All that San Jose needs to do is hope that their legitimate, proven stars (Kane, Couture, Thornton, Pavelski, Vlasic, Burns) can equal Vegas' one year wonder stars in a 7 game series. If that happens, San Jose's depth will absolutely eat Vegas' depth alive and that will make the difference in the series.

Vegas' 3C, Cory Eakinwould be a healthy scratch on San Jose. He would literally be like the 17th best forward. I believe Vegas will really regret not going after a 3C at the TDL.

(MAF)

Reactions: Juxtaposer

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
I will never understand why people think playoff hockey is so cut and dried. To say either team will easily win or that if X player/line plays well, that team will win, is asinine. Anything can happen come playoff time. Unsung heroes show up every year. Just last night an AHL goalie stonewalled the presidents trophy winners on their home ice.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Nothing would surprise me in this series, except a short series. Two fast, disciplined teams - one that plays exceptionally well as a team (VGK) and the other whose younger guys are finally figuring out how to possess and be dangerous in the O and play solid D (SJS)... My guess going in is that this goes 6 or 7, and lots of 1 goal games.

If Burnzie is really hurt, SJ's D corps goes from extremely solid to very suspect especially in the bottom pairing. But the forwards are really rolling, and if Jumbo is actually healthy, people are underestimating his value to the roster, even if a bit slower. I think that's enough to counteract VGK's team and speed game.

Sharks fan saying VGK in 7 because of home ice, but hoping the Sharks youngsters (Meier, Hertl, Sorensen, Donskoi, DeMelo) keep developing and changing the narrative!

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I think it's safe to say that the trade to SJ was the best outcome for him personally and for his career long term IF he stays. Not worried about him at all anymore.

I really don't know if it's safe to say that at all.

I do agree about it being good for him to go there, as San Jose is better then Buffalo by a long shot. In the future who knows, all I know is Buffalo didn't want him anymore and neither did Winnipeg when they got rid of him.

Why am I unsure though that he's turned his career around? I will let you know.

But people are acting like this HOT streak that E. Kane has been on since SJ is like a turn-around and now he's going to be a constant threat....,and this is something brad new. (It's not)

Just remember I said this, if you find the Sharks lose in this series and say Kane doesen't do very well....it still may be solid pick up and I hope you re-sign him so we get that first rounder, but his whole career he's been inconsistent. Especially THIS YEAR.

He was just as hot at the beginning of the season as he's been with San Jose, actually he was even better earlier, had a better stretch of games.

At the end of November he was like top 5 in goals with like 14 or so...

He had 19 goals, 36 pts in 39 GP playing with EIchel. THey took him off EIchel's line and not only did Jack perform way better after that but Kane only had 3 goals, 3 asssists, in his next 22 games. (Despite the successful offense they took him off the line because we kept losing) It's safe to say this sniper thrives off great play-makers (JE, Pavelski, Coutoure)

The Story was (when he was on that hot stretch) that EVander Kane had grown-up, but then there was a practice incident with Justil Falk (Not the good one) of Buffalo and seems like the team may of sided with Falk. (Who sides with a call-up depth D-Man over a star scorer) Maybe a team that didn't like his attitude?

So needless to say there's still a concern, San Jose was the only team that made Buffalo an offer.

So all I'm saying is one month, and a sweep doesen't tell the whole story.

I hope this is a good thing for you guys but I don't think the script is written quite yet, especially when I just went over what I did.

ANd that's not too mention his personal life or any other distraction that happened. I'm only talking about relevant recent stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->