• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Vegas in 6
I have officially stopped doubting them .... again....

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

This thought process will end up being the equivalent of buying a stock, watching it plummet, hanging onto it as it continues to plummet, and then finally deciding to sell it; right before it fires back up.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The difference maker for me is that SJ can skate with Vegas. This isn’t the grind it out, lumbering SJS we are familiar with.

Still think Vegas takes this though, they just have that ‘it’ factor.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
...asked every hockey analyst for the last 8 years.

Seriously, find any hockey reporter willing to make predictions, and tell me they never once picked the Sharks to win the cup. I don't think you'll find many. They were a contender for years. And, to an extent, they still are. It's just that this league, unlike the NBA, more than 2 or three teams have a chance to win every year.

I still can't believe San Jose lost to PIT in the finals the other year. I thought it was finally their time.

Anyhoo, Im going with the Sharks in 5 for this series. It's almost a joke to say it but, this Vegas thing can't go on forever. And I still want to see Big Joe get his Stanley Cup.

5 seems a bit generous. I think the Sharks take it in 6. As for some of the years we didn't win, we really ran into some great teams. The 2010 Chicago team and 2016 Pitt team are in my opinion the two best teams post 2005 lockout.

Reactions: mooncalf

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
5 seems a bit generous. I think the Sharks take it in 6. As for some of the years we didn't win, we really ran into some great teams. The 2010 Chicago team and 2016 Pitt team are in my opinion the two best teams post 2005 lockout.

The 2011 Canucks were the best team in the league that year without question. If it hadn’t been for Tom Thomas’ historically good performance, they’d have rolled over Boston.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
giphy.gif

Reactions: Jango Fett

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Here come big Vegas win. Get out the Sweeper Brooms.

And it's Good Riddance.

No one From the San Jose area even goes to Hockey Games. They are Surfer culture. Hit the Wave Dude. '

In the Hockey World they are always Ok but never Great. Why? Because they are Built Wrong.

When a person from that Area heres "Jumboe Joe" they think Jumbo Wave not Jumbo Joe Thorton.

They are on there 10th rebuild since being introduction to the League many years ago. And it never, ever works out.

Vegas will Show How It Done.

I'm not usually one to defend San Jose and their fans, but being a fan that developed his undying passion for the game of hockey in California, while living in a place that would indeed be considered to have "surfer culture" and having to stomach hockey fans telling me I don't know anything cause I live close to the ocean...

This is an utterly ignorant post. I would expect more from a "Genius"

San Jose is a formidable team and their fans are passionate about their team and the game.

Where do you think San Jose is?
I mean...people do surf in Northern California but it's certainly not the local culture so much as it might be in places in Southern California.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

This thought process will end up being the equivalent of buying a stock, watching it plummet, hanging onto it as it continues to plummet, and then finally deciding to sell it; right before it fires back up.
Well the gambler's fallacy does tend to work from time to time.

Luckily for him, investing in expectation of the winner of this series as a neutral fan doesn't have the kind of stakes investing in stock and failing does.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Knights can't be beat. RIP San Jose
Sure they can.

If they can't challenge Jones with high quality chances, their offensive game can be thrown off and the team as a whole can be as intimidated as they were against Quick. Granted, it worked out in the end but we absolutely didn't see Vegas at their best offensively. Sure they'd pepper the cage with shots but under the idea that if "you just shoot from everywhere, something is bound to go in."

I personally believe Vegas has one of the most underrated team defenses in the league and it really played a huge role in neutering the Kings. But, San Jose's offensive game is much more dynamic and hard to solve. If there's even the slightest crack in that defensive system, San Jose could blow the crack wide open and bury them.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Here come big Vegas win. Get out the Sweeper Brooms.

And it's Good Riddance.

No one From the San Jose area even goes to Hockey Games. They are Surfer culture. Hit the Wave Dude. '

In the Hockey World they are always Ok but never Great. Why? Because they are Built Wrong.

When a person from that Area heres "Jumboe Joe" they think Jumbo Wave not Jumbo Joe Thorton.

They are on there 10th rebuild since being introduction to the League many years ago. And it never, ever works out.

Vegas will Show How It Done.

Lol. This is satire, right? Surely our 25+ years in the league and being a model expansion franchise would clear us fans from the stereotypes. My word. We have the biggest adult hockey league in the country, yet we don’t give a crap about the game or out team. Let’s see how VGK does in several years when the dust settles and the raiders are in town.

For all other VGK fans, I don’t say that disrespectfully.

Cowabunga dude!!!!

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
The 2011 Canucks were the best team in the league that year without question. If it hadn’t been for Tom Thomas’ historically good performance, they’d have rolled over Boston.

We probably should have beat the canucks that year. I think Chicago and Pens were superior to that canucks team. Minus game 2 i thought we dominated fairly well.

We had a lead going into the third in game 1 only to lose 3-2.

Game 4 we dominate them out shooting them 35-13 but lose on 3, yes 3 (5-3pp) consecutive goals in the second.

Im sure we all remember game 5 where we were seconds away from game 6 before losing in ot.

Thats the year I thought we should go to the finals. Nucks were deserving but thats the one I always feel like we were right there, against Hawks and Pens that was not the case. Although the chicago series was closer then the sweep suggests.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol. This is satire, right? Surely our 25+ years in the league and being a model expansion franchise would clear us fans from the stereotypes. My word. We have the biggest adult hockey league in the country, yet we don’t give a crap about the game or out team. Let’s see how VGK does in several years when the dust settles and the raiders are in town.

For all other VGK fans, I don’t say that disrespectfully.

Cowabunga dude!!!!
It's still a little disrespectful to make that claim. The Golden Knights are born in Vegas and they are Vegas' team. And their existence in the Vegas landscape and culture is marked by being an immediate chance for the city to heal in the wake of the worst tragedy the valley has ever suffered. Las Vegans will remember this year the same way they never forgot the Tarkanian coached UNLV dream team.

By comparison, Vegas is getting a team that can't decide on a permanent home the same way the city will get a long term residency contract at the end of an entertainer's mainstream career (a la Britney Spears, Celine Dion, The Osmonds, Criss Angel, etc.). Vegas locals will support and be excited for a football team no doubt. But it won't be quite the same love, I wouldn't think. Locals here are far more proud of the success of The Killers and Imagine Dragons found than they are having Celine Dion here.

In fact more Las Vegans I know than not aren't even remotely excited about the Raiders and some are still pissed off that their stadium will be funded with tax dollars given their sketchy history and unwillingness to settle in one city.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
If I was the GM of the Sharks the first thing I would do is arrange for the team to NOT stay in Vegas during games 1 and 2. I'd find them a quiet hotel an hour's drive away and then bus them into Vegas on game day.
Same goes for game 5 in Vegas. The players can come back and party in the off season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If I was the GM of the Sharks the first thing I would do is arrange for the team to NOT stay in Vegas during games 1 and 2. I'd find them a quiet hotel an hour's drive away and then bus them into Vegas on game day.
Same goes for game 5 in Vegas. The players can come back and party in the off season.

I really doubt the Sharks even thought that they may want to do this because I think they actually have confidence that the players they employ and have employed for years are professionals and don't need to be babysat when they go to places like Montreal, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and numerous other destination places. If you feel like your players need that kind of supervision in the first place then you're probably going to lose anyway.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really doubt the Sharks even thought that they may want to do this because I think they actually have confidence that the players they employ and have employed for years are professionals and don't need to be babysat when they go to places like Montreal, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and numerous other destination places. If you feel like your players need that kind of supervision in the first place then you're probably going to lose anyway.
It's like these players aren't professionals who care about winning in the playoffs.

"Vegas flu" is another tired narrative that refuses to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad