WCSF: (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs. (3) San Jose Sharks | VGK Leads Series 3-2

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
It’s funny that people think that Vegas is winning because of their depth. Their depth is mediocre. Their stars are their team. MAF, Marchessault, Karlsson. Perron, Neal, Schmidt, Miller. They aren’t winning because of their third line or bottom pairing.

Vegas' 4th line was an absolute game changer against LA. Also, your list is missing a couple of notable names. Smith, possibly the best forward in the series. Theodore, Haula. McNabb with a game winning goal. That's about 3/4 of the team right there. I'd call that depth or maybe Vegas has 12 star players.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Vegas' 4th line was an absolute game changer against LA. Also, your list is missing a couple of notable names. Smith, possibly the best forward in the series. Theodore, Haula. McNabb with a game winning goal. That's about 3/4 of the team right there. I'd call that depth or maybe Vegas has 12 star players.

Having a good series is not indicative of much. Marcus Sorensen was possibly the Sharks' most key scorer in the Ducks series.

I'm not saying Vegas' depth is bad. I'm saying that they win because their stars are excellent. Which is not the narrative the media is playing. This "they have three second lines" business is absolute nonsense.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It’s funny that people think that Vegas is winning because of their depth. Their depth is mediocre. Their stars are their team. MAF, Marchessault, Karlsson. Perron, Neal, Schmidt, Miller. They aren’t winning because of their third line or bottom pairing.
That's...half true.

I think it would make more sense if you took exception to people claiming Vegas has one first line and three second lines.

They don't get a lot of production from the bottom 6 but they still give offensive support to Fleury and press the issue pretty hard. No one line or pairing breaks the pace and tenacity of the team overall. I mean, for instance. Tuch doesn't score a hell of a lot but he generates a good amount of chances and his net front presence helps the guys you listed (missing Theodore and Haula) get good chances. Someone like Carrier may not put up points often but he's a hitting machine and not mediocre at sustaining possession in his own zone. Nosek may not be a great offensive talent but his all around defensive game is quite strong and useful both 5 on 5 and on the PK.

There are no passengers on this team. Everyone has a role and they fill it. To scoff at the depth of a team because their bottom 6 doesn't look like a Pittsburgh or a Winnipeg is to misappropriate what depth means by judging it against rosters that aren't among the norm.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Having a good series is not indicative of much. Marcus Sorensen was possibly the Sharks' most key scorer in the Ducks series.

I'm not saying Vegas' depth is bad. I'm saying that they win because their stars are excellent. Which is not the narrative the media is playing. This "they have three second lines" business is absolute nonsense.
Ah. Should've kept reading.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
San Jose in 6. The Knights played well in the first round, but the Sharks pose a bigger threat than the Kings.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
This is not a series I would have expected to happen in the second round. It is hard to guess. I will say Vegas in 7; maybe they have enough fairy dust left in them to win another round, but this series feels like the most incredibly unpredictable of them all. I could honestly see a 4 game sweep somehow happening... for either team.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Vegas' 3C said:
To add to your analysis, Carpenter, who is a 4th line mainstay for the Knights, was released by the Sharks mid season. Vegas got him for bubkis, and he turned up his production substantially (36 gp, 9 goals). It's chemistry, I guess. And they did go after a 3rd line C, Tatar, who is a healthy scratch..... None of this makes any sense.
How am I quoting myself in this post?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
And Gibson's against Quick's is what? Context is needed my dear friend. If you like Jones and think he's good so let it be, I will take nothing against you for that. I just believe that Jones is easily one of the worst starters on a decent playoff club in the league. He can prove me wrong in this series because I will be watching hopefully.

A lot of goaltending stats are skewed by team play which doesn't take that into account. It's a reason why I don't consider Holtby a top tier goaler either while posting good numbers too.

While confusing because they both wear #31, Niemi no longer plays for the Sharks. You're welcome.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Vegas is the scariest team in the NHL playoffs. Sidney Crosby has 10 points in 5 games and has failed to end the Flyers in less than 6 games. Pastranak has 11 points in 5 games and has failed to end the Leafs in less than 6 games.

The top scorer on Vegas has 3 points! And they 4-0'ed their opponent. That is f***ing terrifying.

Reactions: Devonator

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
We've all noticed what a difference the playoffs make for Jones.

In a long season he loses focus. He's a positional goaltender through and through, and the long season of being the #1 drains on him and he loses focus. He gets out of position on easy shots.

However, in the shorter format of the playoffs, he's on. He's been on every single series he has played so far. His positioning has been excellent, and he exudes the confidence of "there's no way he's letting that shot in". It's awesome as a fan knowing that he's going to stop difficult shots. It also rubs off on the team as SJ leans on him heavily during stretches of games when they let off the gas.

If he crumbles, Sharks are done. If he keeps up his playoff play, I honestly think SJ can win this series.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Didn't expect SJ to look miles ahead of Anaheim, it'll be interesting how they handle thee Knights speed, they struggled mightily with it against Pittsburgh in the final a few years ago.

Sharks are way different team this year despite a lot of same names. With all the young guys playing they wanted to change how they play and bring more offense to their game. It's all about playing fast, rolling 4 lines and checking tight. What i really like about them is the combination of heavy and playing with pace. That gives them the ability to take over momentarily in games which if you're not ready can lose you the game.

As the season went on i think in the end the Sharks became very similar team to Vegas. Tough to defend when different guys step up throughout the lineup. Neither team afraid to make plays and while sometimes it gives the other team chances, they still want to defend well.

It's an incredibly even matchup any way i look at it. Both even swept Cali teams in the 1st round. I'd be shocked if it doesn't go to 6-7 games. Should be a lot of back and forth action.

Sharks still have another card in their deck in Jumbo Joe. It'll be very interesting to see whether he plays or not and if he plays, where he slots in and how much better it would make them. I could even see him centering the 3rd line.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I admire the sharks played this well without Jumbo Joe due to injury and Marleau leaving. How crazy would it be if they finally win the cup without their core stars?

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Vegas is the scariest team in the NHL playoffs. Sidney Crosby has 10 points in 5 games and has failed to end the Flyers in less than 6 games. Pastranak has 11 points in 5 games and has failed to end the Leafs in less than 6 games.

The top scorer on Vegas has 3 points! And they 4-0'ed their opponent. That is ****ing terrifying.

Not really terrifying at all. When a team like Vegas scores only 7 goals 3 points for a top scorer is on the high side considering The individual is in on almost 50% of your scoring.

Also when you give up only three goals. I would not expect anything else other than a sweep

Sharks top scorers only had 5 points on 16 goals. Which means even their top players were responsible for only 30% of their offense which to me is even more impressive.

Sharks had 8 players with three points or more in there Series sweep, also burns and boedker not making the cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->