Vancouver def. Nashville 5-2

December 19, 2023
Vancouver def. Nashville - 5-2

Last edited:

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
The most exciting time of the year for hockey fans. Time to put the flags up on the cars and cheer the Canucks on. So stoked and excited. I didn't really count the bubble playoffs as official playoffs, so it's been a very, very long time for the Canucks to officially get in. Regardless of what happens this Sunday, I will be watching with a huge smile on my face. Let's make a run boys.

Go Canucks

• Love
Reactions: Indiana and Hodgy

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I’m guessing Cuthbert and Simpson are Toronto, Singh and DeBrusk are Edmonton - that should hopefully leave us with Shorthouse and either Tomlinson or Ferraro (I doubt it’s Ferraro, I think he’s on ESPN duty in Colorado).

Would be great if they could bring Garrett back for Round 1.

Ferraro called into Donnie and Dhali from Denver yesterday, so yes looks like he's doing that series.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I fundamentally don't know how to handle myself right now. 2011 was the last time I actually fully paid attention to every game and really cared about the playoffs*. This whole season is so remarkable my brain is having a hard time accepting it happened. It feels like yesterday I was arguing the Kings weren't as good as everyone thought, I think the Kraken might regress, Oilers didn't do anything to improve the team, Flames didn't change anything from last season and all that gives the Canucks a good shot at a wild card spot.

*I moved to Japan in September 2011 and barely watched the bubble playoffs

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Athletic's Stanley Cup Tiers.

We assembled a seven-person anonymous panel including an NHL GM, four additional high-level NHL front office executives, one scout and an agent. We asked each person to sort all 16 playoff teams into a Tier from 1 to 5 and tallied the average votes.

• Tier 1: Stanley Cup favorites (top 3-4 teams)
  • Tier 2: Strong Cup contender (High-end contenders just below the inner circle)
  • Tier 3: Dark horse (Solid team that could make a deep run if they got hot, but have glaring question marks/concerns)
  • Tier 4: Long shot (maybe they can get hot and win a round, but they aren’t realistically contending for the Cup)
  • Tier 5: First-round cannon fodder (Should feel lucky just to be in the playoffs)

Vancouver Canucks
Average rating: 3.1

Our panel, except for the GM, wasn’t fully sold on the Canucks as a high-end Stanley Cup contender despite Vancouver finishing second place in the Western Conference.

“If they made it to the (Stanley Cup) Finals, it wouldn’t shock me,” said the GM, who was the lone panelist to rank them in Tier 2.

Executive 2: “I look at the rest of that D core and I’m like Quinn Hughes needs to be a f—ing Bobby Orr for them. I’m not a (Filip) Hronek guy — he did the exact same thing last year, he had an incredibly hot first half of the season and cooled off a bit. Hronek can complement a D very well because he has a lot of good attributes, but Hronek for me is a No. 3/4 (on a Cup contender). I don’t have any faith in Tyler Myers. (Carson) Soucy’s solid, (Ian) Cole’s solid but again I just don’t love this D core.”

Executive 1: “Getting Nashville does help (the Canucks), I think they got the right matchup for the first round, but I don’t see them winning more than a round. The first year in the playoffs is just hard.

“This is how I look at it: Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against Dallas? No. Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against Winnipeg? Probably not. Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against Vegas? No. Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against Edmonton? Well, the goalie difference (Thatcher Demko being elite and Stuart Skinner not) makes it pretty even, but I look at McDavid and Draisaitl and think that they find a way. Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against L.A.? (The Kings) are as flawed a team as there is and I’m not sure I like Vancouver against L.A. I don’t think Vancouver’s a clear favorite against anybody but Nashville. I’m not a believer yet.”

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

We assembled a seven-person anonymous panel including an NHL GM, four additional high-level NHL front office executives, one scout and an agent. We asked each person to sort all 16 playoff teams into a Tier from 1 to 5 and tallied the average votes.

• Tier 2: Strong Cup contender (High-end contenders just below the inner circle)
  • Tier 3: Dark horse (Solid team that could make a deep run if they got hot, but have glaring question marks/concerns)
  • Tier 4: Long shot (maybe they can get hot and win a round, but they aren’t realistically contending for the Cup)
  • Tier 5: First-round cannon fodder (Should feel lucky just to be in the playoffs)

Vancouver Canucks

Our panel, except for the GM, wasn’t fully sold on the Canucks as a high-end Stanley Cup contender despite Vancouver finishing second place in the Western Conference.

“If they made it to the (Stanley Cup) Finals, it wouldn’t shock me,” said the GM, who was the lone panelist to rank them in Tier 2.

Executive 2: “I look at the rest of that D core and I’m like Quinn Hughes needs to be a f—ing Bobby Orr for them. I’m not a (Filip) Hronek guy — he did the exact same thing last year, he had an incredibly hot first half of the season and cooled off a bit. Hronek can complement a D very well because he has a lot of good attributes, but Hronek for me is a No. 3/4 (on a Cup contender). I don’t have any faith in Tyler Myers. (Carson) Soucy’s solid, (Ian) Cole’s solid but again I just don’t love this D core.”

Executive 1: “Getting Nashville does help (the Canucks), I think they got the right matchup for the first round, but I don’t see them winning more than a round. The first year in the playoffs is just hard.

“This is how I look at it: Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against Dallas? No. Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against Winnipeg? Probably not. Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against Vegas? No. Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against Edmonton? Well, the goalie difference (Thatcher Demko being elite and Stuart Skinner not) makes it pretty even, but I look at McDavid and Draisaitl and think that they find a way. Do you like Vancouver (as a favorite) against L.A.? (The Kings) are as flawed a team as there is and I’m not sure I like Vancouver against L.A. I don’t think Vancouver’s a clear favorite against anybody but Nashville. I’m not a believer yet.”

Meh. There's so many talking heads with so many opinions. Just drop the damn puck already!

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019

Vancouver Canucks

I mean it's hard to argue against what the last GM is saying. Most people wouldn't pick us in a series vs Dallas, Jets, Vegas and maybe the Oilers.

We can win a lot of games if everybody shows up every night, but those types of playoff runs are rare. If we an win 2 series it would be great for our group.

Let's not forget that the Oilers core are 3-4 years older than some of our core players. We all want to win the cup but this being a post season where we learn to play in the playoffs isn't the end of the world either.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Had no idea Brunette is the coach in Nashville.

To me that gives the Preds a leg up coaching wise compared to Van.

Especially in-game management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad