Series Talk: WCQF: Vancouver Canucks vs Nashville Predators (VAN Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of the series?

• Canucks in 4

Votes: 30 4.2%
  • Canucks in 5

Votes: 111 15.5%
  • Canucks in 6

Votes: 242 33.9%
  • Canucks in 7

Votes: 84 11.8%
  • Predators in 4

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Predators in 5

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Predators in 6

Votes: 127 17.8%
  • Predators in 7

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
That's a courageous PO road win. Nashville wanted a win on the road, and they got it.

Nashville won home ice advantage and now the pressure is on the Canucks.
How does that work ? I thought the higher seeded team would maintain home ice advantage throughout the series ? Is this figurative or real ?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
How does that work ? I thought the higher seeded team would maintain home ice advantage throughout the series ? Is this figurative or real ?
You must be bad at math?

The series is tied 1-1. Nashville has 3 potential home games in this series (3,4,6) and Vancouver has two (5 and 7). The series may not get to Game 7 if the Preds can win all of their home games. Nashville has the advantage as long as they win. If the Canucks can win either game 3 or 4, they will have the advantage back.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

If the first two games are a 1-1 split, then it means that the team without home ice advantage to start the series can take the series by winning only the rest of their home games.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN

For clarity, the simplest definition of home ice advantage in this context is just that if one projects the home team to win every game, then the team with the most home games (remaining) would win the series.

It has nothing (directly) to do with other potential "advantages" to playing at home such as fan atmosphere, officiating tendencies towards home vs away teams, or the ability of the home team to have the last lineup change prior to a faceoff. Of course, all of those aspects may indirectly have some impact to a game's outcome, which is why that term has been coined in the first place.

With the completion of actual games, "projections" get replaced by "actuals". Any road win by a team breaks the projection, so you need to create a new projection based upon the games remaining- which is why you are likely to hear that the series is now a "best of five" if the first two games were split, or hear a "best of three" if the next two games (i.e., the 3rd and 4th games) are also split.

Hopefully that helps you, and it certainly helped my OCD-driven need for precision.

All that said, @Three On Zero is not wrong to say it's a narrative, lol.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Think of it this way. The series is tied 1-1, so it is now a best of 5. With 5 games in the series 3 of them are in Nashville, 2 in Van......so Nashville has home ice advantage.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
GWG goes to:

ebff3259763aa83528c5e5e06d2c2498.gif

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Lots of people are talking about the Oilers in the second round, let’s win the round first lol

And I’m honestly more scared of the kings then the Oilers, we match up incredibly well against the Oilers. (If demko takes a stimpack lol)

Nashville is one pesky team man, this might go 7

Last edited:

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Total freaky Friday shift w the teams, in terms of play and outcome btwn game 2 and 3. Know how it felt to come out of game 2 feeling like van couldn't buy the puck luck with all the pressure, so I'm sure the preds and their fans are feeling the same after this one.

Great thing about this is we get to restart the expectations all again in a couple days. Def not the prettiest of wins, but not gonna feel bad and give it back lol, so GG for this match preds, onto game 4!

Reactions: Szechwan

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
This is so Canucks last half of season. Get outshot badly and some how win. I'll take it !

DeSmith was great tonight. He is such a odd goalie, sometimes he is lights out. Other times he stinks.

Need more out of Pettersson. He looks injured . He looks little slow.

I'll take the W. Need the same effort next game. Would like to see more shots on net.

Pogotheclown

Oct 11, 2015
Game 3 is what it looks like when a better team goes up against a lesser team, and decides to focus allmost entirely on defense.

Resembled game two between dallas and Vegas.

Reactions: M2Beezy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad