GDT: WCQF Game 4, (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs (WC1) LA Kings @7:30 VGK lead series 3-0

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Again, one bounce, one goal, in OT that ends the game, in the end it doesn't matter how many chances you had, it's how man you converted on, Kings could have had two chances, all they need to do is convert on one,

You seem to be missing that.

You increase the probability of scoring by getting as many chances as possible.

Relying on a 50-75% conversion rate gets you where the Kings are this morning.

Reactions: kenito7

RONNIEC

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles
Agreed, speaking of parking, where the hell do you part at Staples? I remember Great Western had wide, expansive parking lots, just humongous lots in Inglewood, what do people do for parking at Staples?

I found the easiest and fastest is to park at LA Live.
$30 for whole day, but if you dine there, you got validation...
This is the closest and most convenient.

Anyway, what is done is done.
Disappointed but we had a fun season.
Lots of ups and downs but able to sneak into the playoff.

Let's see what Luc/Blake will do in the offseason, they will be busy for sure.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Well yes, but that has zero to change the facr that LA had every ability to win that game as did vegas

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I think the point is that while a sweep is never 'close' each individual game saw the Kings with an opportunity to win that they did not take advantage of. It was all in different ways, which is one of the reasons it's so frustrating, and it's certainly no moral victory, quite hollow actually, but in terms of competitiveness, it was a lot tighter than a lot of other series.

I certainly don't question the heart of the guys out there, that was a war more than most of the other series. It's okay to say they just aren't good enough. That's what makes me more comfortable with moves being made now, I don't think they had 'more to give,' they were just shut down by a better, more opportunistic team that took full advantage of every big moment. GBH called them 'bounces' and I often do too, but think of those times--Brownie whiffing open net, Kopitar shanking wide in OT, Kopitar manhandling everyone on the ice and going to the net with dudes on his back only to get stuffed by Fleury. They were better in general AND more clutch. Any of those go in, and this is a series--not sure you can say that when other teams are getting TDs put on them.

Again in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter because it's a sweep, and it's a frustrating one from a "take advantage of your chances" perspective, and I agree with you that those chances get magnified when you create more. Kings had the heart, but not the finish, nor the skill to create more opportunities to finish (although some of that was systematic as well, which is where Stevens gets shared blame).

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You realize the scoring chances in OT were almost tripled in favor of Vegas, right?

OT or no OT, Vegas was the better team in every metric of statistic known to hockey in game two. It was the least close game of the series, regardless of the score.

The Kings held a lead for 33 minutes in four games. TOTAL.

This was not a close series. This was a sweep in which the Kings only scored four goals.

We’ll see how far Vegas goes. I’m of the group that believes they are indeed for real. I think they can beat the Sharks, and give Winnipeg/Nashville some trouble.

HOWEVER, the Kings still got beat. Handedly. You’re deluding yourself by thinking this was a close series. It wasn’t.

The Kings need to rebuild. The portion of the fan base still pretending otherwise are outright damaging the future of the franchise. Luc will continue to dog whistle to people like you about the “competitive window” and you’ll continue to eat it up, continue to purchase tickets, and continue to keep afloat this dead team, thus delaying the needed rebuild.

I’m not spending a dime on this product until management convinces me they’re actually headed in a new direction. This core is done. The competitive window is closed. We don’t have near the quantity of NHL ready prospects Boston had.

It’s time to rebuild. Period.

The Bruins didn't have any NHL ready prospects when they re-tooled after 14-15. They wasted cap space on a couple older free agents. They traded picks/didn't trade Eriksson in a season that they missed the playoffs. Didn't have McAvoy until 2016, with no idea that they would get him. Had Pastrnak, but he was a late 1st that worked out quickly. Heinen was a 4th round pick from 2014 who only helped the Bruins this season. DeBrusk was a middle 1st from 2015 who only helped the Bruins this season.

What the Kings don't have is the under 30 forward that can put up points and change a game like Marchand. Toffoli has no shot at that. Pearson goes without saying. Both put together don't have an ounce of the edge Marchand plays with, let alone the speed or skill. Bergeron is older than Kopitar, and not all that much younger than Brown.

Kempe would have to step up big next year, along with Iafallo, and especially Vilardi. They're the hope for next year. Have to give Amadio and Brodzinski more of a chance, even if they suck.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
First thing is first, you get rid of Clifford anyway you can. The guy will follow the same path as Dwight King. Stevens should be fired for not recognizing how useless he is.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
First thing is first, you get rid of Clifford anyway you can. The guy will follow the same path as Dwight King. Stevens should be fired for not recognizing how useless he is.
If thats the case Brodzinksi and Andreoff should be gone as well. And who do you replace them with? Michael Mersch?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Some interesting factoids and indicators of how badly outplayed the Kings were, despite those scoreboard watchers who are convinced otherwise...

April 17 postgame notes - LA Kings Insider
-In Game 4, the Kings trailed for 35:56 and were tied for 24:04. In their first round series, they led for 32:56, trailed for 119:18 and were tied for 123:08 of game time.

-Los Angeles scored three goals in the series, setting a franchise-low for the fewest goals scored in a series of three games or low. Their two lowest-scoring series of at least three games prior to 2018 was five goals versus St. Louis in the 1969 Semifinals (four games) and six goals versus Detroit in the 2000 Western Conference Quarterfinals (four games).

Why the Vegas Golden Knights were able to dominate the Los Angeles Kings - Sportsnet.ca
Vegas-chances.png

Vegas-passing.png

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some interesting factoids and indicators of how badly outplayed the Kings were, despite those scoreboard watchers who are convinced otherwise...

April 17 postgame notes - LA Kings Insider
-In Game 4, the Kings trailed for 35:56 and were tied for 24:04. In their first round series, they led for 32:56, trailed for 119:18 and were tied for 123:08 of game time.

-Los Angeles scored three goals in the series, setting a franchise-low for the fewest goals scored in a series of three games or low. Their two lowest-scoring series of at least three games prior to 2018 was five goals versus St. Louis in the 1969 Semifinals (four games) and six goals versus Detroit in the 2000 Western Conference Quarterfinals (four games).

Why the Vegas Golden Knights were able to dominate the Los Angeles Kings - Sportsnet.ca
Vegas-chances.png

Vegas-passing.png

I don't think anyone really believes otherwise, no need for taking shots.

Let's also not forget that's pretty skewed by Game 2, and the media has been pretty dishonest all day about that.

Ultimately it's not wrong and the trend would have gotten the stats there eventually anyway, but people are extrapolating Game 2 to the whole series far too often.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
After the Knights first goal I got that undeniable feeling of defeat. A goal that came immediately after one of the best scoring chances of the game for the Kings. A Dustin Brown shot in the slot, well placed, but it lead to a Vegas breakout. You go from feeling like we're finally going to break through and really gain some momentum to being almost completely deflated less than 10 seconds later. It just sucks.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Thanks for doing the GDTs this year, @kingsboy11. They were very clear, clean, informative. I have no idea how long that takes, but thank you for taking the time, amigo!

Amen! Thanks @kingsboy11 !!!! great job!

giphy.gif

I hope everyone enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed making them. I was hoping to keep making them all the way into June, but somethings are out of my control... *cough Kings cough*

I think most of them that I made usually take around a half hour to an hour. Its mostly the lines that trip me out because they're always changing. But the GDT for game 1 took about 2 and half hours because I wanted to that one to be special, plus I knew that would get on the main board.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Those Terry Murray coached teams were excellent defensively until they got into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad