Series Talk: WCQF: Edmonton Oilers vs Los Angeles Kings - EDM Defeats LA 4-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
That is always thrown around as a very general idea, and I don't buy it. I don't mean to attack you personally, but I always wonder how that would look like. Are there multiple instances per game where McDavid/Draisaitl flee the zone which lead to chances/goals against? Are they really worse than other Oilers forwards defensively or is this just a baseless assumption because they score more? Some numbers would suggest that.

Frankly, if McDavid doesn't do what he did exactly how he did it in game 1, chances are the Kings are up 2-0 in the series. What assist should he have 'sacrificed' to prevent a goal against?

And if they really flee the zone and don't play defense 'correctly', how many times does this happen, and does that set off the loss in offensive output if they change that? What does that mean for the way the team is playing? And do you really think the McDavids and Draisaitls just don't think of that or care to do it if it was that simple? Do people really think McDavid is playing for 2 ppg and losing in round 2 instead of 1,5 ppg and winning the cup? Sounds a little stupid, doesn't it?

I just think saying the best offensive players in the game should 'sacrifice' offense for defense is lazy if there is no follow-up.

Yes, there are differences in how good players are defensively, but could someone please just explain a little more how that 'sacrificing offense' should look like exactly. As long as the people are just throwing that around, I trust the McDavids of the world much more that they know how to help their team instead of the hfboards-defensive-play-analysts.

Oh, and why is it never the other way round? If teams get shut out I never hear 'the defensive third line center should just sacrifice some defense for offense'. Perhaps it is not that simple? But hey, what do I know.
Don’t have time to fully dissect your post, but in short, yes, I have seen both miss their checks/flee the zone/not back check at all etc. Comparing them to the rest of the team is meaningless. They are the leaders. They set the example. There are decades worth of examples of players/leaders changing their game for playoff hockey.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Edm needs to go up by 2 or 3 and just keep pressing.. They got to stretch the ice if they want to win.. Kings will trap we all know that... Skinner needs to be better. They gotta draw penalties with speed and actually convert on them..

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Don’t have time to fully dissect your post, but in short, yes, I have seen both miss their checks/flee the zone/not back check at all etc. Comparing them to the rest of the team is meaningless. They are the leaders. They set the example. There are decades worth of examples of players/leaders changing their game for playoff hockey.
They could use a bit of Stevie Y renaissance to set the culture for sure, but 5 point night sell a lot of f***in tickets man.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I noticed that as well, Kane is such a putz.

Kopitar had 3 points and was +3, the guy is a stud.

Kopitar is stud now and McDavid is a one dimensional forward that needs to have his "Yzerman moment" blah blah blah

Remember Game 1 - when Kopitar looked like he should have retired 3 years ago and McDavid looked like well McDavid.....

Tonight will be a tight game but McDavid will remind King's fans once again that its time to bring out that Rebuildy the Bear thing King's fans were trotting out before the series started.

PLD statement game next game watch out , the beast will be unleashed :popcorn:

PLD needs to have his Yzerman moment.......

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
1714196729969.gif

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Great bounce back game from the Oilers and Skinner in particular.

McDavid and Drai now temporarily second to only Gretzky in playoff PPG. Yeah yeah, we all get it’s 52 games in progress compared to Lemieux’s 107, but remember that when yapping about Lemieux’s regular season PPG compared to Gretzky’s with their massive difference in games played. Impressive all around.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Rivalry remains thoroughly entertaining. Hope next game isn't chippy

Chippy is fine, as long as it doesn't lead to dirty stuff. Which LA team and which Skinner will show up? I've been impressed by Byfield, not many other Kings players showed up for game 3 though. Also it took until game 3 for the fans to really get after each other.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, not sure if the Oilers were the better team overall. I thought Kings lost that more than Oilers won that. Not because Edmonton sucks or anything, but because you simply cannot have that many turnovers and especially from star players and think you're going to survive. Oilers are good enough to capitalise, and even an AHL team would have beat the Kings today when you have the likes of Doughty dishing it straight to an Oilers stick for their first goal. That is a prime bloke for the squad, and he gives them a freebie. I also didn't like the refs tonight, just kept feeding EDM 5v3s all the time. There's no way after that Englund hit that the Kings should've gotten two pens. Rubbish stuff, get a new set of these zebras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad