• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
My point was that it's early for anyone outside the Wild organization to be declaring Staal "okay." It's obviously different than a fractured sternum, but symptoms from head injuries do tend to creep in days or weeks later.
Why no quiet room at time of incident?
Thought teams had spotters trained specifically to watch out for upper body shots?
I still think Staal sold it and is fine and I really hope he is ok.
Don’t want anyone hurt

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Why no quiet room at time of incident?
Thought teams had spotters trained specifically to watch out for upper body shots?
I still think Staal sold it and is fine and I really hope he is ok.
Don’t want anyone hurt
I assume that by "sold it" you mean he didn't get up fast enough or jump back into the play immediately? Even if he's okay in the long term, is it possible that getting hit in the ear with a stick takes a minute or two to recover from? Dumb story, but a year or two ago I was playing with my daughter on some monkey bars and managed to swing my forehead up right into one of them. Full speed, BAM. Landed flat on my back, genuinely saw stars for a few seconds (which I didn't actually think was a real thing until then), was dizzy for a minute or two afterward, and was fine beyond that. Weird things happen with hits to the head.

Which is why the lack of a quiet room visit bugs me as much as the missed penalty. I honestly don't know what was up with that, because it does not take a trained spotter to do the stick + head = quiet room arithmetic. There's nothing fuzzy about it.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
What i fear most for the Jets is that if they have a two goal lead late into the third I know Bruce will send goons with intent to injure the Jets because that's the type of coach he is. I hope the reffing can put a stop to that before it starts. Or if it does happen the NHL will be as quick to hand out a punishment as they were for Morrissey.

Today's NHL doesn't truly employ goons. Minnesota doesn't have any more goons than the Jets do. But the idea Boudreau would send players out to deliberately hurt Jet players is far-fetched at best.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Today's NHL doesn't truly employ goons. Minnesota doesn't have any more goons than the Jets do. But the idea Boudreau would send players out to deliberately hurt Jet players is far-fetched at best.
yeah i'm not throwing stones but if either team could be said to have "goons" it would be the Jets.

Whatever. lets go out there and maybe take another game, Wild.

Glad to hear Myers is back in action.

If the Jets advance I can't wait to cheer on Byfuglien just wrecking Hartman several times a game.

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Neither team has “goons”. Don’t be silly. The Jets are a heavy team with one of the premier hitters in the league, but Buff is not a goon. Neither is Foligno or Morrissey.

It’s the playoffs. The hitting gets ramped up. The headshot was an obvious 1-2 gamer that crossed the line. The headbutt by Nino was hardly an even up, but it crossed the line. Time to move on.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
yeah i know they don't have "goons". Chiarot is about as close as they get. But it is sort of funny to hear Wild have Goons at their disposal, coming from a team who are legitimately considered one of the most punishing teams to play against.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
yeah i know they don't have "goons". Chiarot is about as close as they get. But it is sort of funny to hear Wild have Goons at their disposal, coming from a team who are legitimately considered one of the most punishing teams to play against.

I gotta say you've no idea what you're talking about. I think you're trolling this board.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015

So being the most 'punishing team' to play against means we are goons. I've heard it all....

I guess the Kings/Anaheim of old were all goons too.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
So being the most 'punishing team' to play against means we are goons. I've heard it all....

I guess the Kings/Anaheim of old were all goons too.

dear jesus christ work on your reading comprehension. i was pointing out mild irony: one of the softest teams in the league (the Wild) were called out as employing goons by one of the hardest. I said above neither have goons. it was just funny. being a punishing team to play against is what i WISH the wild were.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Seriously what are you all so defensive? I love the way the jets play. I've never once called anyone a goon. i was merely pointing out in response to one of the brain surgeons in your fanbase that the Wild have no goons to employ when he talked about Boudreau sending out goons.

And yes, the ducks of old certainly had goons. example: Brad May sucker punching Kim Johnsson of all people.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
dear jesus christ work on your reading comprehension. i was pointing out mild irony: one of the softest teams in the league (the Wild) were called out as employing goons by one of the hardest. I said above neither have goons. it was just funny. being a punishing team to play against is what i WISH the wild were.

You're right. My apologize. I just think the optics of that tussle your guy had vs Tanev (who's one of the smallest guys we have) caused that.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah, the Jets haven’t had a goon at all this year. Thorburn and Peluso were the goons of the team, they are both gone.

Don’t know the Wild’s roster like the back of my hand but I’m gonna assume based on this series and based on what their fans have been saying, that they don’t have goons either.

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010

If I could like it a million times I would....tremendous

"Well you know something Mean Gene, with Hollywood Hulk Wheeler, "Big Amish" Kevin Laine, my main man "The Outsider" Scott Byfuglien, and Buyck-Pac with Trillionaire Mark by our side brother, we're going to run wild on the NHL, dude! And to all the jWo-ites out there, the jWo is the only way to go and the Winnipeg Jets just.......tooo.....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Trilliann

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Jets are a big fast physical team....but do not employ a single fighter or goon.
Yep, and some apparently might be surprised to hear, we're actually one of the cleaner teams in the league as well.

League average for PIM was 709, Jets had 697. League average for Major penalties was 19, Jets only had 9 all season. Morrissey does one bad thing (that wasn't even intentional) and suddenly there's a narrative that we're a dirty team :laugh:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If I could like it a million times I would....tremendous

"Well you know something Mean Gene, with Hollywood Hulk Wheeler, "Big Amish" Kevin Laine, my main man "The Outsider" Scott Byfuglien, and Buyck-Pac with Trillionaire Mark by our side brother, we're going to run wild on the NHL, dude! And to all the jWo-ites out there, the jWo is the only way to go and the Winnipeg Jets just.......tooo.....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!"

YOU CAN CALL THIS THE NEW WORLD ORDER OF PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY, BROTHER!

Reactions: Snowman and ATHF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->