• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
My favorite thing about this series is that one of these franchises is getting knocked out in the first round for sure. I don't even care which. Then I'll start cheering for whatever team gets to face the winner. It's just too bad that both of these teams can't lose in the first round. :D

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Lot has changed since the last time these teams met in 2009 (Coaches, goaltending, most of the roster.)

Pavelski/Thornton/Getzlaf/Perry I believe are the only players remaining from that battle in '09

Sharks were heavy HEAVY favorites in this series.

This time, probably a little more even- Ducks have home-ice, but SJ winning would hardly be a shock.

Goaltending will be interesting- John Gibson probably won't play as well as Hiller did in '09, but he doesn't have Pronger/Niedermayer on the backline.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lot has changed since the last time these teams met in 2009 (Coaches, goaltending, most of the roster.)

Pavelski/Thornton/Getzlaf/Perry I believe are the only players remaining from that battle in '09

This time, probably a little more even- Ducks have home-ice, but SJ winning would hardly be a shock.

Goaltending will be interesting- John Gibson probably won't play as well as Hiller did in '09, but he doesn't have Pronger/Niedermayer on the backline.

Vlasic also was on the 2009 team that lost to Anaheim

Interesting how we've both kept some core players despite the series being 9 years apart

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This is the series i wanted personally... as i like the matchup from an anaheim perspective.

Ducks set up behind the 8 ball and came all the way back... while overcoming a ton of injury issues.... playing their best hockey of the season going into the playoffs.

Chelle

YNWA
Feb 27, 2009
Sweden

Don't forget Beauchemin!

Reactions: coleslawjay

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
From the eye test, Sharks dominated the Ducks in every meeting this year even though 3 went to shootout. San Jose has struggled against Vegas this year, who has struggled with the Kings, who have struggled with the Sharks.

Maybe a bit of Rock Paper Scissors here will benefit San Jose and Los Angeles in their first round series.

Which injury do people think is a bigger loss: Fowler or Thornton?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
My favorite thing about this series is that one of these franchises is getting knocked out in the first round for sure. I don't even care which. Then I'll start cheering for whatever team gets to face the winner. It's just too bad that both of these teams can't lose in the first round. :D

That's exactly how I feel about LA Vs. Vegas! Although I definitely would prefer to see Vegas lose.

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

Tokioduck

May 31, 2007
Any team in the Pacific has a chance to advance to the conference Finals or in another word I don't think there is a clear favorite.

As for the Ducks, it is such a weird season as it feels like they have never played their best hockey and yet they have the Home advantage. What I wish is Kessler and Silfverberg to regain their forms during this round or the next then they may have chance to advance to the Finals(I'm also reying on Gibson or Miller to have a strong games, which has been the story of this season). Otherwise even if the Ducks come out from last he Pacific they will be crushed by Nashville who I believe will come out.

I have a soft spot on the Sharks as I have a lot of respect to Thornton and Pavelski. I rooted for them on the year when had gone to the Finals.

That said I am not too sure if this is the year for Sharks. If it had been the Sharks from last couple years I think they would have beaten the Ducks who still needs some time to regain their form(again I think Kes and Silf are struggling and obviously we're missing Fowler). Maybe it is that the Sharks are missing Thornton and Marleau and as a result they are also missing the passion or the hatred towards the Ducks that they had in the past(or the fans still have), which should help them to elevate their game. Obviously I can be completely wrong and I still fear Pavelski. But that's my take on this series or this year with every team having a so-so season in the Pacific.

Last edited:
Reactions: lwvs84

letsgooooooojackets

Mar 10, 2017
CBJ
Ducks in 7. A long grueling series ended by a great performance from Gibson ended by a Getzlaf goal in OT in a thrilling battle of California, filled with comebacks, fights, storylines, and (hopefully) full stadiums (looking at you Anaheim). A great series for sure, too bad I will only see the highlights as I live in the Eastern Time Zone and can't stay up til 12-1 on weeknights.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
From the eye test, Sharks dominated the Ducks in every meeting this year even though 3 went to shootout. San Jose has struggled against Vegas this year, who has struggled with the Kings, who have struggled with the Sharks.

Maybe a bit of Rock Paper Scissors here will benefit San Jose and Los Angeles in their first round series.

Which injury do people think is a bigger loss: Fowler or Thornton?
Ana will be tough to judge by regular season.

As for loss i would prob say thornton... because it hurts your center depth, fowler not playing sucks but that likely means you get more time with lindholm and manson on ice which is never a bad thing.

Reactions: coleslawjay

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Don't follow either team very much.

Kane seems to have added a match to the sharks. But the ducks are always a pain.

Sharks in 7 mostly cause I don't care.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Close series, went with ducks in 7. Can’t fathom how ducks have home ice. Don’t understand how San Jose suddenly started playing terrible to close the season. They looked scary very time we played them.

Will probably be the best series in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad