WCQF: (2) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) San Jose Sharks | Sharks Leads Series 3-0

WCQF: (2) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) San Jose Sharks

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
How is SJ doing so good, their team is pretty underwhelming.

Imagine if they win. Marleau will have nightmares for years.

I've said this several times this season... the Sharks have one of the best bottom 6 core in the league. These guys are very under rated and the media seems to not notice.

Other reasons:

1. Jones has been a wall like the SCF playoff run, and unlike the 1st round exit to the Oilers last year.

2. Kane has been the missing piece that enabled Deboer to not raid the other lines' talent. He's also been the spark plug that Doug Wilson talked about needing following the SCF loss to the Pens.

3. This is not the same team and style as that SCF run season. These guys are much faster which the Ducks are not handling.

4. The Ducks game plan does not exploit the Sharks weakness. Their game plan seems to be pounding square pegs into round holes as if we are in a time-warp back about 5 or so years ago. I have to wonder what the heck is the Ducks coach thinking, but I like it.

5. Deboer is not making stupid coaching mistakes in the playoff games either. He's buttoned it up.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If this series leads to the Ducks stripping the captaincy of Getzlaf, it will mean that all 3 of the California teams will have stripped their captain of the captaincy and kept them on their roster due to an embarrassing loss to another California team

Id just give lindholm the C, cogs an A and manson an A.

Those are the guys that play the right way and will set the best example for the younger players we should have coming up the next few years. Still very excited for larsson, mahura, steel, jones comtois and terry

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Those are the guys that play the right way and will set the best example for the younger players we should have coming up the next few years. Still very excited for larsson, mahura, steel, jones comtois and terry

Honestly, until that misconduct, Getzlaf really hadn't been bad from a leadership perspective. And when it's 6-1, you can forgive that kind of frustration in that moment because most everyone around you, especially someone like Perry, isn't doing his job.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I've said this several times this season... the Sharks have one of the best bottom 6 core in the league. These guys are very under rated and the media seems to not notice.

Other reasons:

1. Jones has been a wall like the SCF playoff run, and unlike the 1st round exit to the Oilers last year.

2. Kane has been the missing piece that enabled Deboer to not raid the other lines' talent. He's also been the spark plug that Doug Wilson talked about needing following the SCF loss to the Pens.

3. This is not the same team and style as that SCF run season. These guys are much faster which the Ducks are not handling.

4. The Ducks game plan does not exploit the Sharks weakness. Their game plan seems to be pounding square pegs into round holes as if we are in a time-warp back about 5 or so years ago. I have to wonder what the heck is the Ducks coach thinking, but I like it.

5. Deboer is not making stupid coaching mistakes in the playoff games either. He's buttoned it up.

Agree with this...

Sharks defense isnt fazed by forecheck and have done a great job staying out of those situations, that was the biggest issue and main reason oilers lost to us last year, we were able to get pressure on their dmen and force mistskes... san jose defense is too smart, too fast snd too good for us to get that kind of pressure.

Theyve also done a solid job of making sure most of our chances are 1 and done, i feel like half of san jose goals are passes within 5-10 feet of the net and gibson virtually has no chance.

And the best recepie against an anaheim team that is willing to take dumb penalties, is score on the powerplay and san jose has made them pay on plenty of occasions

Oh and jones has been lights out when he needs to be and kane has beem the x factor they have helped for... cant give either of them 2 enough credit

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Getzlaf plays "dirty" the same way Jumbo does, its not annoying to me like Kesler and Perry. Getzlaf wants to get his shots in but Kesler and Perry actually seem like they just want to injure players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Honestly, until that misconduct, Getzlaf really hadn't been bad from a leadership perspective. And when it's 6-1, you can forgive that kind of frustration in that moment because most everyone around you, especially someone like Perry, isn't doing his job.
True but its almost to the point where this has happened to often under his leadership and a fresh change could be something the team needs, as our older players start to slow dowm and we start bringing in young kids.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Props to SJ for not retaliating to the Ducks' bulls**t. I guess it's easier to keep a level head when you're completely dominating, but it's impressive that the whole team is keeping their cool.

Reactions: Slicknitty

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Getzlaf plays "dirty" the same way Jumbo does, its not annoying to me like Kesler and Perry. Getzlaf want to get his shots in but Kesler and Perry actually seem like they just want to injure players.
Well if that's what it seems like then they are pretty bad at it. They're too slow to injure anybody at this point.

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Props to SJ for not retaliating to the Ducks' bulls**t. I guess it's easier to keep a level head when you're completely dominating, but it's impressive that the whole team is keeping their cool.

Im also surprised haha no one has snapped yet

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Other thing ill give sanjose big props on is usually teams will fight back a bit and get the ducks in it by joining in with the bs, and san josr has turned their cheek and took the high roll and said if you wanna beat us itll be on the ice/scoreboard not fighting/physically

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Other thing ill give sanjose big props on is usually teams will fight back a bit and get the ducks in it by joining in with the bs, and san josr has turned their cheek and took the high roll and said if you wanna beat us itll be on the ice/scoreboard not fighting/physically
The Ducks have even made some huge (and clean) hits, and it doesn't rattle them at all. Wish we had that kind of discipline, although I do sometimes enjoy our guys sticking up for their teammates.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
True but its almost to the point where this has happened to often under his leadership and a fresh change could be something the team needs, as our older players start to slow dowm and we start bringing in young kids.

Yeah but generally not everyone in the leadership core is rotten when it starts to go bad. I think the fresh change could just be letting Perry go if they can swing a trade somewhere.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Personally I would strip Getzlaf and give him an A, along with 2-3 other players.

One issue that Sharks fans have mentioned is that the leaders on the Ducks don't take their conditioning very serious and it trickles down the lineup. If you look at San Jose, fitness is heavily ingrained in the culture - guys like Pavelski and Burns, who are near the ages of Perry and Getzlaf (all drafted in 03 but Pavs is 1 year older - was draft eligible but yndrafted in 2003) are still playing near their career best at age 33. Thornton was the 2nd best center in the NHL at age 36.

Chris Tierney spent all summer working out with Gary Roberts and has dedicated himself to fitness. He and roomate/teammate Barclay Goodrow were cooking meals together this season and focusing on maintaining a high level of nutrition. This improved Tierney's performance and earned him a spot at 3C - I don't know if that would have happened with a Ducks player. This also improved Goodrow's performance as he came into training camp as the Sharks most conditioned player and earned a spot as a 4th liner. This is probably less common with Anaheim Ducks players because fitness is not a part of the team culture.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah but generally not everyone in the leadership core is rotten when it starts to go bad. I think the fresh change could just be letting Perry go if they can swing a trade somewhere.
that contract id pretty ubtradable plus ntc... so well likely have to add to him ans take a bad contract back

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I really don't think the sharks are that fast of a team. They are faster than the ducks, but so are like 29 other teams.

I think that the knights are going to the SCF just because it's Bettman's will.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I really don't think the sharks are that fast of a team. They are faster than the ducks, but so are like 29 other teams.

The Sharks individually aren’t the fastest. But their team speed is one of the best. The decision making, passing, etc.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I think skate speed isnt the fastest but they make quick and correct decisions and get on the counter attsck as quick as anyone ive seen this year.. they seem a lot faster without thornton also.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I think skate speed isnt the fastest but they make quick and correct decisions and get on the counter attsck as quick as anyone ive seen this year.. they seem a lot faster without thornton also.

Interesting point for sure, Jumbo seems to be waiting as long as he can. Hopefully he doesn't slow the Sharks down a lot when/if he jumps in. Crossing my fingers the PB doesn't throw him on the top 2 lines and he starts on the 3rd line

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The Sharks individually aren’t the fastest. But their team speed is one of the best. The decision making, passing, etc.

Yeah, as frustrated as I am with the Ducks (words truly can't express how frustrated I am), SJ has really impressed me. I look at their roster and not many guys jump out as "speed demons", but the pace they play at is terrific. It kind of reminds me of Pittsburgh in last year's playoffs. Their D wasn't that great (especially when Letang went out) but boom it was off their stick and in quick transition just like that. Sharks are doing this well against the Ducks and it's made Fowler's absence even more evident. Love Beauch but he's not a top 4, and especially against teams this quick.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
that contract id pretty ubtradable plus ntc... so well likely have to add to him ans take a bad contract back

I don't think it's untradeable but they will have to eat something to move it. I think Perry at 6 mil for the next three seasons is a tradeable contract. They just won't get a lot for him.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The Ducks have even made some huge (and clean) hits, and it doesn't rattle them at all. Wish we had that kind of discipline, although I do sometimes enjoy our guys sticking up for their teammates.

The Sharks stick up for one another. They just won't be goaded into the Ducks BS. No need when they are doing whatever they want.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany

Other reasons:

What??? Jones was far and away our best player in last seasons loss to the Oilers.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Because the Sharks have been good all year. They roll 4 lines and the defense chips on offense. The offense is balanced. No one paid attention because they were a .500 team the first few months but since the new year, they've been one of the best teams in the league.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Because the Sharks have been good all year. They roll 4 lines and the defense chips on offense. The offense is balanced. No one paid attention because they were a .500 team the first few months but since the new year, they've been one of the best teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->