WCQF: (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs (WC1) Los Angeles Kings | VGK Leads Series 3-0

WCQF: (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs (WC1) Los Angeles Kings

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I hope L.A gets at least a win or 2 to stretch this one out for my own selfish enjoyment. :)
I hope Vegas wins so they can be rested and be remembered as getting a first round sweep in their first year.

But I'm not expecting it. LA will only be more motivated in G4.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yup after having MAF play lights out for them in the CBJ and Wash series I'm sure they were happy to jettison him. Please.

If the Exp Draft didn't exist, they would have found a way to keep him

Murray was their guy after last season, and they needed to shed Fleury's 5.7m cap hit to re-sign him and 2 other RFAs.

If the Exp Draft didn't exist they still would have tried to find a team to take his cap hit.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I've seen even some Kings fans here saying their team might need a reset, regardless of what happens in this series.

What does a "rebuild" entail for the Kings?

Seen a bunch of talk of Doughty leaving, don't get why he would but if so is the plan get what you can from a Doughty trade and collect young assets the next two seasons then get back at it with Kempe/ Vilardi/ who ever else is young and in LA's system or gathered in those seasons?

When does Brown's contract expire? He was good this year but is that the only big money contract LA would want rid of in the future to make room for a newer generation? I believe Kopitar will be good as he ages so he can be part of this future.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I'm so sick of hearing about Marc Andrew Flowery. You people, the telecasters.....he hasn't done anything this series worth noting. Seriously I can think of one save that came through traffic and was deflected. Yet all we hear about is how wonderful he is. And his 3 Stanley Cups of which he rode the pine how many games out of those runs?
On the other hand, Quick has been stellar until late 3rd period last game.
Stop being little followers. Mindless sheep who eat up all the TV hype. Hextall outplayed Fuhr and Moog and lost. Yet he was recognized.

Quick has let in 2 consecutive weak GWG's in a row. Not good enough...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It was foolish of LA to come out hitting everything in sight. I said so to myself at the time, when they were clearly winning the physical battle but had little to show for it. As Game 2 (with its double OT tilted towards the Kings' end) proved, Vegas has the better endurance. All that the Kings did was wear themselves out, and it culminated in them allowing 3 goals in the 3rd period. It was particularly apparent on the game winner, since they iced the puck twice in a row just beforehand and three players were too tired to beat a Knights player to the puck on a face-off that the Kings won cleanly.

Despite a year of promises to the contrary, Stevens is still a Sutter protege and that was exemplified last night by him trying to win the game the same way that Sutter would've. This is exactly what I feared when I objected to his promotion nearly a year ago. The promise of a more offensive system may seem to be kept in the regular season when the team is hot (even though Sutter's teams got offensively hot now and then, too), but then goes right out of the window when the playoffs start. Some of the names may be different, but this is still essentially the same team as its been the last 3 years (when they missed the playoffs twice and won only one playoff game in the other). LA's management has been too afraid to make needed changes (like hiring a fresh, outside coach and trading guys like Muzzin) because they're trying to hold onto the past.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Stevens is a Murray protege not Sutter protege.

You're technically right, because Sutter inherited him, but I don't think that you can act as an assistant for a guy for 5 years and win two Cups in that time with him without it heavily influencing how you coach. Perhaps "disciple" would've been more accurate than "protege." After 5 years and 2 Cups, I think that it's fair to call him a Sutter disciple, especially since he's kept more of Sutter's system and methodology than he's discarded.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It was foolish of LA to come out hitting everything in sight. I said so to myself at the time, when they were clearly winning the physical battle but had little to show for it. As Game 2 (with its double OT tilted towards the Kings' end) proved, Vegas has the better endurance. All that the Kings did was wear themselves out, and it culminated in them allowing 3 goals in the 3rd period. It was particularly apparent on the game winner, since they iced the puck twice in a row just beforehand and three players were too tired to beat a Knights player to the puck on a face-off that the Kings won cleanly.

Despite a year of promises to the contrary, Stevens is still a Sutter protege and that was exemplified last night by him trying to win the game the same way that Sutter would've. This is exactly what I feared when I objected to his promotion nearly a year ago. The promise of a more offensive system may seem to be kept in the regular season when the team is hot (even though Sutter's teams got offensively hot now and then, too), but then goes right out of the window when the playoffs start. Some of the names may be different, but this is still essentially the same team as its been the last 3 years (when they missed the playoffs twice and won only one playoff game in the other). LA's management has been too afraid to make needed changes (like hiring a fresh, outside coach and trading guys like Muzzin) because they're trying to hold onto the past.

Er, that was about the only time they've been competitive. If they could have capitalized on some of those opportunities and gone up 2-0 or 3-0, maybe the game looks different. I think frankly that's about the only game plan they can pull off that ends in victory. Not sure what else they can do to NOT gas themselves. Better to staple a Knight to the boards than let them keep skating with Kings chasing.

Stevens definitely not a Sutter protege, if he was, this would have been more of a possession team all year instead of a collapse and pray team. That's a Terry Murray specialty. We went from top CF% team to middle of the pack/below. Sutter Kings were WAY different protecting leads, they kept coming.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I noticed an interesting stat today. LA's best face-off man in this series hasn't been Kopitar, even though he's won 57% of his draws. It's been Nate Thompson, winning 24 out of 30 draws, for an astounding 80%. It's too bad that he's not very useful in any other way or else that proficiency could be better taken advantage of. At least he's proving useful, which is more than can be said for just about everyone else in the Kings' bottom six.

He didn't blow the coverage, that's the Kings standard breakout on a faceoff win. Rieder just got beat by Smith to the loose puck and Muzzin chased a puck he was never going to win instead of staying with Karlsson. Doughty did absolutely nothing wrong on that play.

You made this point last night and I kept thinking about it afterward and today, so I decided to look into it by reviewing as many defensive face-offs that I could find in this series. What I noticed is that, more often than not, when the Kings win the face-off, both defensemen drop back to or below the goal line. Where Doughty went is where the inside defenseman seems to be coached to go to receive the puck. The problem is that he never received the puck because Reilly Smith got to it first.

You can blame Rieder, but I'm not sure that there was a whole lot that Rieder could've done to prevent Smith from getting to the puck without getting an interference penalty for it. Muzzin was the closest player to where the puck was drawn back to, yet was beaten to it by Smith and Rieder, who were both further away. That was his puck to retrieve (and either clear it along the boards on his side or pass to the open Doughty) and he was too slow to get to it. He's a slow-reacting defenseman to begin with, but it also didn't help that he and his linemates were already tired because he had just iced the puck to create that defensive zone face-off.

For those reasons, I blame mostly Muzzin for that goal. Doughty could've reacted to the missed coverage better, and he definitely looks like a goat on the surface, but I think that you're right that he wasn't out of position as far as the system goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I'm so sick of hearing about Marc Andrew Flowery. You people, the telecasters.....he hasn't done anything this series worth noting. Seriously I can think of one save that came through traffic and was deflected. Yet all we hear about is how wonderful he is. And his 3 Stanley Cups of which he rode the pine how many games out of those runs?
On the other hand, Quick has been stellar until late 3rd period last game.
Stop being little followers. Mindless sheep who eat up all the TV hype. Hextall outplayed Fuhr and Moog and lost. Yet he was recognized.

He only rode the pine in 16. So not much.

09 he was the man
17 he split half the postseason with Muzz.

William Briscoe

Apr 13, 2018
Yikes, what did MAF do to your sister?

Quick has played well, but that doesn't mean MAF HASN"T. 2:10 at this video, that's a save through traffic and a mighty fine one too

And MAF went to back to back finals,winning one of those. Was instrumental in winning Rounds 1 and 2 for Pitt last Cup run too.

But yea...totally rode the pine

First, MAFFY Duck wouldn't touch my sister....he plays for the other team. Second, no one would touch my sister. That's just gross.
I didn't say he didn't play well, he just hasn't been stellar or stood out like alot of people on here suggest or like every telecaster spews. But it plays nicely with how the league has set them up to fairytale like.
And before you post, go do your research. MAFFY played 1.5 games worth of cup finals enroute to his 3 cups. Meaning, if you are quick with math, he really only won one....I will give him two. To be nice.

William Briscoe

Apr 13, 2018
Implying I can afford to hire a ref for a pee wee game right now :laugh:

Not sure what made you so cranky but I recommend separating yourself from whatever it is.

It's simple dude. The league wants your wittle team at least into the next round to finish off this story book season that was born from tragedy. Those are the best storylines and they sell merchandise and tickets.
I will eat crow only if your boy Haula hoop gets a game for the intent to injure butt end he threw at a superstar.
Otherwise the fix is definitely in.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
First, MAFFY Duck wouldn't touch my sister....he plays for the other team. Second, no one would touch my sister. That's just gross.
I didn't say he didn't play well, he just hasn't been stellar or stood out like alot of people on here suggest or like every telecaster spews. But it plays nicely with how the league has set them up to fairytale like.
And before you post, go do your research. MAFFY played 1.5 games worth of cup finals enroute to his 3 cups. Meaning, if you are quick with math, he really only won one....I will give him two. To be nice.

He won one as a starter, and won one as a backup.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
It's simple dude. The league wants your wittle team at least into the next round to finish off this story book season that was born from tragedy. Those are the best storylines and they sell merchandise and tickets.
I will eat crow only if your boy Haula hoop gets a game for the intent to injure butt end he threw at a superstar.
Otherwise the fix is definitely in.
It was a punch in the face, just like 100 other punch in the faces this playoffs. No need for disipline. The league isn' even considering a suspension....Or fine.

William Briscoe

Apr 13, 2018
It was a punch in the face, just like 100 other punch in the faces this playoffs. No need for disipline. The league isn' even considering a suspension....Or fine.
And so was Doughty's hit! Carrier moved his head into Doughty's shoulder. This is ridiculous....if you don't think this crap isn't fixed, I fear for your common sense. Every major pro league is fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->