WCJ 2020

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Europeans actually paid big money to show up it wouldn’t always be in NA.

IIHF is greedy, what can I say.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think it should get announced soon given it'll start late next year. According to wikipedia it's in the Czech Republic, not totally sure on the host city though.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I don't think the cities were decided yet.
In the fall I read an article where it was said that the host cities should be announced till the end of the year. Still no word on that though.
And btw. I believe that if the tickets are not too pricey that in terms of attendance it will be a good tourney. Czech people love international hockey and this tournament is growing popularity here which of course is connected with growing level of our junior teams lately.
Also depends on what the host cities will be though.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
There were rumors that a new arena was being built in Brno, not too sure what the situation is on that anymore but I would love to see a WJC tournament in Brno. Don't get me wrong Prague did amazing hosting the Worlds but that was for senior men's, not too sure how Prague would do hosting a WJC.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
There were rumors that a new arena was being built in Brno, not too sure what the situation is on that anymore but I would love to see a WJC tournament in Brno. Don't get me wrong Prague did amazing hosting the Worlds but that was for senior men's, not too sure how Prague would do hosting a WJC.

I would love to see WJC in both Prague and Brno. With proper marketing and not overpriced ticket I am sure that Prague would do a great WJC with lots of interest.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I would love to see WJC in both Prague and Brno. With proper marketing and not overpriced ticket I am sure that Prague would do a great WJC with lots of interest.

Brno would have terrific crowds, people are rather hockey-hungry here, as the city never hosted any major international event. Pardubice hosted the WJC when it was the last time in the Czech Rep., they have a very nice arena near to the city centre and a terrific fan base there too. Prague is obviously famous for it's cultural value and thus attractive for people who want to combine the WJC trip with enjoying the Central European architecture, culture, historical heritage etc. Apparently a hard decision.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Last few years europe has had better attendence

DTFgMTOWAAEfbFa.jpg

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
At least WHC isn't in Canada every year.

quite frankly, I'd rather that the WHC not be held in Canada, ever! It's fine where it is rotating around Europe. This way I get to see a WHC early-mid afternoon game as a warm up to that evening's main event, NHL playoffs. It's a win win for me!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If Europeans actually paid big money to show up it wouldn’t always be in NA.

IIHF is greedy, what can I say.
Oh, the empty seats in Buffallo didn't look like a cash machine to me.

I don't know about other countries, but if they actually to give the tournament to Russia, but not Moscow or St.Peterburg there would be a lot of sellouts. Expecting people to pay a hunderd bucks for a junior game obvioysly didn't work in Buffalo, so the prices of course have to be at least somewhat reasonable.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What’s crazy is that Buffalo was a failure and yet it sold more tickets than all but one of the European WJCs.

Babula

May 31, 2012
haha. USA lost in last three WJC. Make it happen more close to border.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

I think what the poster was saying was that the attendance in Europe was better than the attendance in Europe in the past rather than saying it had better attendance than tourneys NA.

Junior tournaments in Europe can have good attendance. U18 WJC is a lesser known tourney and last years' in Slovakia had very good attendance with great atmosphere for Slovak home games.

But of course just like with tourneys in NA a lot of factors go into that - the prices shouldn't be too high, you need to choose a place where the attention to hockey isn't elsewhere, you need to have programs such as having school kids attend the games of the bottom feeders etc.

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
A very reliable source told me today that there is a real chance that WJC 2020 will be in Ostrava and Trinec.

Trinec has a new hockey arena (one of the most modern in the Europe) however with capacity of less than 5 thousand people. The semi-finals and medal games would be held in Ostrava.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
What’s crazy is that Buffalo was a failure and yet it sold more tickets than all but one of the European WJCs.
I mean the overall numbers in Buffalo are skewed by having one game with over 40 thousand. You adjust that game to say just being a 18k sellout the overall numbers for the tournament are below average. They are either way honestly.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I thought it was in Prague for sure. I'll be heading over there in 2020 with a few buddies, I believe. It's probably way less expensive than going here in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad