WC QROUND: May 8 GDT - Sweden vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Everest said:

Finally, yes. Good thing about this is that it will shut up all the Lunqvistites and people that actually believe that this team can win gold.

reaper

May 1, 2005
And why couldn't they win gold? No team has proven to be THAT much better than anyone else. Gold will go to Sweden, Canada, Chechs or Russia is my tip.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Riddarn said:
Finally, yes. Good thing about this is that it will shut up all the Lunqvistites and people that actually believe that this team can win gold.

Do the brodeurties shut up after a bad game he has...hell no...aint gonna shut me up after 1 bad game either. ;)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
reaper said:
And why couldn't they win gold? No team has proven to be THAT much better than anyone else.

Exactly. One game doesn't mean anything ... well actually it does, but only that the Swedes sucked on this day. The tourney is not over. Sweden is a heavy favorite! :handclap:

NYIsles1*

Maybe we did see the next great goaltender. But on this day he was in goal for the US.

DiPietro !!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Do the brodeurties shut up after a bad game he has...hell no...aint gonna shut me up after 1 bad game either. ;)

Brodeur has nothing to prove. Lundqvist has everything to prove, especially since he's been hiding behind the best defense (well, team actually) in the SEL that has inflated his stats. And this is a league where Jonas Höglund is regarded as a good shooter.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Alot of positives in this game, although I'm not sure if it was how good the U.S. played or how bad Sweden played that made the differance. DiPietro looked great. Modano looked involved, Erik Cole was all over the place, and the penalty killing did it's job. Good effort.

reaper

May 1, 2005
Lundqvist hasn't been that good yet I have to admit that. Not bad but not spectacular either. Seems he is not used to playstyle in world championships. He is still young though and will get better. All USA goals were also breakaways, could have saved one or two of them but it's not easy when USA shooting that effectively.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Riddarn said:
Brodeur has nothing to prove. Lundqvist has everything to prove, especially since he's been hiding behind the best defense (well, team actually) in the SEL that has inflated his stats. And this is a league where Jonas Höglund is regarded as a good shooter.

Agreed. Lundqvist must prove he can play at the international level and the NHL before we can judge him. To dominate in the EHT is different from the WC's. But he was good last year, and has had ONE bad game this year. Can't judge him yet. He could very well carry Sweden to gold! (Sorry, I had to say that ;) )

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Long time since I saw Sweden give up so many breakaways. The Sedins looked okay, but that's about it. Swedish D = terrible, Lundqvist had his worst game of the season (has he even allowed 5 goals in another game this season?).

Americans played a smart game. Modano looked inspired for once and I enjoyed watching Cole, Stastny and DiPietro's absolutely excellent stickhandling!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Riddarn said:

So for a goalie to prove himself he must have a great game every game??? C'on man..i understand you hold a grudge against him because he beat your team in the SEL finals but your trying to make him look so bad after 1 game.

Last edited:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
Alot of positives in this game, although I'm not sure if it was how good the U.S. played or how bad Sweden played that made the differance.

Sweden skated harder against Denmark. They initiated more contact against the Ukraine. Effin' embarrasing from first face off until the last 5 minutes where they actually try to hustle a bit. Weak, pathetic.

Bengt Gustafsson did his usual do-nothing routine, perfected by years of staring out into never-never land in the SEL when his team is trailing. :rant:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Agreed. Lundqvist must prove he can play at the international level and the NHL before we can judge him. To dominate in the EHT is different from the WC's. But he was good last year, and has had ONE bad game this year. Can't judge him yet. He could very well carry Sweden to gold! (Sorry, I had to say that ;) )

Remember, Tellqvist was solid up until the World Cup, after which he got slaughtered by the press, even though he was left alone just as much.

Predatore said:
Long time since I saw Sweden give up so many breakaways..

Czech Republic - Sweden : 6-1

Maybe not clear breakaways, but similar feel to it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

interestingly enough...you just described broduer to a T

not that broduer isn't a good goalie, but playing on the devils with their great D over the years certainly has not hurt him at all...

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Levitate said:

not that broduer isn't a good goalie, but playing on the devils with their great D over the years certainly has not hurt him at all...

word :clap:

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
not to necessarily inject some common sense here but...

if i'm not correct, sweden is the ONLY one of the big countries that hasn't switched goalies during this tournament so far now that canada decided to play luongo instead of brodeur today?

lundqvist was coming off of 2 highly emotionally draining games vs. finland and canada (i know, i know finland didn't give sweden much trouble but the swedish had to get psyched up before the game at least) and had to come back to play the u.s. today. i was shocked to see he got the start today vs. the u.s.; not just surprised but shocked. as someone else pointed out, how about giving him a break and playing a backup? or more logically...

let's just see how he does in the elimination round (after he's had a little chance to rest ) before jumping to any conclusions period?

reaper

May 1, 2005
Levitate said:

Agreed. Everyone is talking about Brodeur like he is some kind of god. Yes he is one of the best for sure. But he's not THAT much better than the rest of the elite goalies. People seem to think that a goalie can save everything even though defense is not helping. Sweden scored 5 goals against Brodeur and today it was Lunkan's turn to let 5 pucks in. Even though both goalies could have saved one or two of these you can't blame them entirely.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Todays loss wasn't Lundqvists fault. Almost all of them were breakaways. The last one was soft, but the others were good efforts from the scorers.

Swedens biggest problem is powerplay. They better get it into shape or we will struggle in the coming week.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Agreed. Everyone is talking about Brodeur like he is some kind of god. Yes he is one of the best for sure. But he's not THAT much better than the rest of the elite goalies. People seem to think that a goalie can save everything even though defense is not helping. Sweden scored 5 goals against Brodeur and today it was Lunkan's turn to let 5 pucks in. Even though both goalies could have saved one or two of these you can't blame them entirely.

it's my contention that broduer and the devils have a kind of symbiosis thing going on...together they're great, but apart they wouldn't be as good. not saying they wouldn't be good, but not AS good. broduer's good goaltending helps the NJ team and its defense, while the NJ defense helps broduer.

reaper

May 1, 2005
Yes. That same logic also somewhat applies to Lundqvist. He is used to his Frölundaplayers playing a certain way and he knows what they will do all the time. This certainly has helped him alot keeping the great statistics that he has in the SEL. I still believe he would be top goalie in SEL in other top team too but maybe not as dominating. It's better to let someone take a shot from the blueline and leave it for the goalie than to try to reflect it with your glove like Johan Franzén today. That would never have been a goal if he didn't do that.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Jacobv2 said:
Lundqvist is turning heads alright. They're turning away in disgust.

:biglaugh: all hail the great lundqvist. well, if he doesn't make it, there's always montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->