WC QROUND: May 8 GDT - Sweden vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Finn said:
seems to me that everytime anyone has said something negative about Lundquist you always have a excuse ready... omg bad defense so what? I understand that he could have a higher GAA from that but he has made 10 saves on 13 shots, and that to me does nto demonstrate the next great elite goalie.... look at Luongo... not too good of a defense in Florida... his GAA is higher than other elite goalies... but he still has a great save percentage, and IMO that is the most important goalie stat

When did I say Lundqvist is better then Luongo???? Comparing them is a joke at this point of Lundqvists career.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Finn said:
.750 save percentage... all hail the mighty lundquist

I know it's not all his fault as the D is nowehre to be found but for those expecting him to be "the next great goalie" Ithink if he was he would still be able to do better than this

Lundqvist is very hyped, yes, but he hasn't been on top of his game this night. It's strange to see how he can dominate in the SEL and make saves that are amazing. Those snipers in the WC are so much better, they put it high without hesitation.

Lundqvist have a lot to learn from the NA way of playing the game, I don't think he has been amazing vs Canada or USA yet in his career?

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
FLYLine4LIFE said:
When did I say Lundqvist is better then Luongo???? Comparing them is a joke at this point of Lundqvists career.

I beleieve you are one of the posters who claimed Lundquist will be the next great goalie, correct? well isn't luongo one of the best goalies in the league? so i was just comparing the present "great goalie" to the goalie you think will follow in his and brodeurs and all the other elite goalies shoes

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
...aaanyways....this Swedish effort leaves all teams less than perfect...the Tournament is becoming very unpredictable...It seems to me no team is above getting an a$$kicking

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Lundqvist is very hyped, yes, but he hasn't been on top of his game this night. It's strange to see how he can dominate in the SEL and make saves that are amazing. Those snipers in the WC are so much better, they put it high without hesitation.

Lundqvist have a lot to learn from the NA way of playing the game, I don't think he has been amazing vs Canada or USA yet in his career?

lundqvist was excellent in last years world championships...only faltering when his team abandoned him in the final against canada, and he's played against high level competition before in the SEL and, again, the world championship

i actually was somewhat expecting a little letdown...he had such a great year and all i don't necessarily think he's in the best state of readiness for this years tourney. kind of a letdown after all the big stuff he's accomplished this year, which can be understandable.

so far it seems that he's been solid, not necessarily spectacular, but solid, and that's fine.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Everest said:
...aaanyways....this Swedish effort leaves all teams less than perfect...the Tournament is becoming very unpredictable...It seems to me no team is above getting an a$$kicking
What about the Swedes left it all on the ice last night against Canada and they are tired, banged up and sore from the Canadian hits. US had a day off and plenty of time to analyse the Swedes yesterday. Canada played the same way against Finland.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
jcpenny said:
What about the Swedes left it all on the ice last night against Canada and they are tired, banged up and sore from the Canadian hits. US had a day off and plenty of time to analyse the Swedes yesterday. Canada played the same way against Finland.
Yea, thats my theory as well. They seem too tired. Just like the canadians earlier.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Finn said:
I beleieve you are one of the posters who claimed Lundquist will be the next great goalie, correct? well isn't luongo one of the best goalies in the league? so i was just comparing the present "great goalie" to the goalie you think will follow in his and brodeurs and all the other elite goalies shoes

Yes i was, next great goalie doesnt mean tomorrow, it means in a few years. Its like comparing Fleury to Luongo...Fluery isnt Lunongo yet..but in a few years he could be that good.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think they shoulda played their backup...liv or holmqvist or whoever it is, in this game

give lundqvist a break after the canada game

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
jcpenny said:

it couldn't be that the american team is playing well. the swedes simply must be off their game.

amazing how that always seems to be the attitude around here. :shakehead

"well, sweden actually beat canada...so there's no way in a fair game the usa should be able to beat them"

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
jcpenny said:
What about the Swedes left it all on the ice last night against Canada and they are tired, banged up and sore from the Canadian hits.

To be quite honest, Canada didn't play very physical at all yesterday. Biggest hit of the night was Kronwall destroying the more than 30 pound heavier Thornton. Not that it was very surprising though, Kronwall is an excellent open ice hitter.

Though I suspect that there could be some fatigue played into this, I blame this mostly on the good old swedish over confidence and complacency.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
FLYLine4LIFE said:
When does a goalie get blamed for giving up a goal on a breakaway?? It ALWAYS the defenses fault for a GA from a breakaway (unless the goalie gives up a softy on the breakaway), and the first goal his defenseman redirected to a US player to hit in the open net, that was just a bad break. I dont "deflect". How you could blame Lundqvist for those goals is beyond me. Goals he should have had I make a point and say it.

great goalies get it done, regardless of how the defense is playing.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
nomorekids said:
great goalies get it done, regardless of how the defense is playing.

Ok, but hes 23...give him time, hes got the potential to be a great goalie, nobody is saying hes Brodeur now.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
An Ape called Yoko said:
Too bad Loungo and Brodeur haven´t done that then.

luongo was the sole reason the panthers weren't a LOT worse, last year. brodeur? are you really going to have that argument? i think he's got the credentials to back up one bad tournament.

i'm sorry if i'm not all that impressed with european league stats.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
nomorekids said:
it couldn't be that the american team is playing well. the swedes simply must be off their game.

amazing how that always seems to be the attitude around here. :shakehead

"well, sweden actually beat canada...so there's no way in a fair game the usa should be able to beat them"
Never mind the fact that it was Canada giving the game to Sweden yesterday!!
This tournament has seen every team play well/not well at different juctures...Give the USA credit...though they have been beaten/tied...they have also been closest to "consistent" in comparison to other teams in the last few days.
Somethings gotta' give...someone will get rolling and then emerge from the fray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->