WC QF: May 9 GDT - Sweden vs. Slovakia

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
Bäckström has really stepped it up this game IMO, delivered some real nice passes, not only the ones they have scored on but created more chances because of his passes.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Haha, MÃ¥rtensson shot the camera with the 7-4 EN goal. ;)

11 goals in a QF, amazing. I don't know what the Slovak players whined on him for, I think the Swiss ref was pretty solid. He missed a little here and there, but all penalties were by the book.

TheRealRazor

Mar 18, 2007
Frig, I was hoping Slovakia would pull one out of the hat. If Canada wins, they face Sweden. :(

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Bäckström has really stepped it up this game IMO, delivered some real nice passes, not only the ones they have scored on but created more chances because of his passes.

I agree. Looking more like the Bäckström before christmas now.

Good win. Ridiculous amount of goals scored for a quarter final though. With two tactically skilled teams I thought it would be low scoring.. :)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I hope you aren't afraid of Sweden, we have one NHL-player and let in 4 goals in this game, nothing to be afraid of.
Yeah, we really have to step up a notch defensively if we want to win more games. Way too many defensive lapses tonight. As for only having Steen from NHL, it doesn't matter that much, we have skilled players who know how to play the game.

I expect Canada to beat Switzerland, so it'll be an interesting game against Canada. Switzerland can upset if Canada underrestimates them though.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
Yeah, we really have to step up a notch defensively if we want to win more games. Way too many defensive lapses tonight.

Yeah no sh*t, I thought Sweden looked good defensily against Russia but this game wasn't so great, alot of misunderstandings by the defensemen (like the 6-4 goal, 3 players looking at them coming in and nobody stepping up to stop the shooter), some give-ways, we are lucky that we scored so many goals. We really dominated the game in the second though, really impressed by how the forwards played.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Emwall + J. Jönsson :yo:

Best defensiv forwards in a long while, can't hit a barn though :biglaugh:

They who blame emwall for one of the goals where he was the one in front of the goal should direct their anger elsewhere, I'm not pointing my finger at anyone, especially not you wallin ;)

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Sweden deserves a lot of credit. We have one NHL player, and that's Alexander Steen. Now we're probably facing Canada, but I don't it will be so easy for Canada as some believe.

I believe Sweden will win. You can never count them out.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
If somebody had told me two weeks ago that we would be facing Canada in a Seminfinal, with this roster, i would laugh my ass off.

Anyway, ive underestimated this swedish team, big time. We are a _team_ we dont' rely on anybody particular to score, but the problem is, Canada does neither. It will be a very, very intensive game.

I gotta give credit to BÃ…G. I whine at him every tournament, but he allways shut me up in the end. :teach:

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
If somebody had told me two weeks ago that we would be facing Canada in a Seminfinal, with this roster, i would laugh my ass off.

I *am* laughing my ass off :teach:

BÅG probably have approximately 3/4 of Skåne in his pants though (Swedish joke) :biglaugh:

DrCrane

Sep 15, 2005
Sweden
Don't know what to say about this game. It was chaos out there. :D

Agreed that it was the best game from Bäckström so far in the tourney but I'm still not completely satisfied with his game. He still lack speed and his physical side can improve a lot. But he's still young and he's got plenty of hockey in him, no doubt about that. Besides, it's not his fault he's been so hyped.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås

Anyway, ive underestimated this swedish team, big time. We are a _team_ we dont' rely on anybody particular to score, but the problem is, Canada does neither. It will be a very, very intensive game.

I gotta give credit to BÃ…G. I whine at him every tournament, but he allways shut me up in the end. :teach:

If Sweden win this tournament, i promise i will clean Avenyn with a tooth brush.

You better have that tooth brush ready! :D ;)

Canada(probably) will be a tough game though. But you never know.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Bäckström stepped it up today, yeah.

I agree he could get faster, guess that Ovechkin will teach him something about that. ;)

Anyway, i am very happy about this team. They have already exceeded my expectations, everything from this point is a bonus. Canada will be looking for revenge for last years semifinal, but it will be a close game, no doubt.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Haha, MÃ¥rtensson shot the camera with the 7-4 EN goal. ;)

11 goals in a QF, amazing. I don't know what the Slovak players whined on him for, I think the Swiss ref was pretty solid. He missed a little here and there, but all penalties were by the book.
It was due to 2 things:
a) The goal on 2-3 shouldnt have counted as Jurcina didnt interfeer with the Swedish player that for him to crash into the goalie. He didnt change the path the player was going.I was watching on the Czech broadcast and they said that it shouldnt have been a goal.
b) When Jurcina got 2 for cross-checking, Steen slashed Krizan on the hand and no penalty was called while on the other side Gaborik's goal was disallowed (which was a right call) but from Gaborik's point of view, I can see why he was so upset.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
It was due to 2 things:
a) The goal on 2-3 shouldnt have counted as Jurcina didnt interfeer with the Swedish player that for him to crash into the goalie. He didnt change the path the player was going.I was watching on the Czech broadcast and they said that it shouldnt have been a goal.
b) When Jurcina got 2 for cross-checking, Steen slashed Krizan on the hand and no penalty was called while on the other side Gaborik's goal was disallowed (which was a right call) but from Gaborik's point of view, I can see why he was so upset.

Conclusion?

The ref handed Sweden the game. :sarcasm:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I agree. Looking more like the Bäckström before christmas now.

Good win. Ridiculous amount of goals scored for a quarter final though. With two tactically skilled teams I thought it would be low scoring.. :)
We are a tactically skilled team? :D

We really need to get a good tactical coach. BAG ate up the Hossa line by using Jorgen Jonsson against them ALL the time. Our coaches dont know what line matching is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->