WC QF: May 5 GDT - SWEDEN vs. LATVIA (4-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
7-1 sverige!!!

axelsson (2), alfredsson (2), m.tjarnqvist, d.tjarnqvist, hoglund - zoltoks

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Lets see now. Quarter final against small underdeveloped eastern european team with soviet-trained players with both north american and top european experience coached by Curre Lindström, who has brought gold both to Sweden and Finland.

4-3.

To Latvia.. :banghead:

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Riddarn said:
Lets see now. Quarter final against small underdeveloped eastern european team with soviet-trained players with both north american and top european experience coached by Curre Lindström, who has brought gold both to Sweden and Finland.

4-3.

To Latvia.. :banghead:

I second that! No seriously I think Sweden wins it 3-0. All three goals by Jörgen Jönsson..

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
6-0 Sweden, Hopefully Sjöström and Tjärnqvist will produce some goals, they deserve it.

Alfredsson 2, M Tjärnqvist, Hedström, Hållberg, Hävelid

Bumjoo Wang*

Don't wanna do any prognosing.. just

SARAUJ LATVIJA

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Good luck Latvia but realisticly do they stand a chance? No. But that's why they play the games, boy would I ever love to see an upset in this one. But I will go with Sweden, 4-0

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
3-0 Sweden after the first period. This one is already over... :( although I should be :)
;)

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I feel bad for Latvia, they have gotten a few cheap penalties and weak goaltending from Irbe. 3-0 is too much, it should be 1-0.

Bumjoo Wang*

Riddarn said:
I feel bad for Latvia, they have gotten a few cheap penalties and weak goaltending from Irbe.

What do you mean with that - Irbe has been very solid so far - just one of those goals could heve been saved with a miraculous save..

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I think he basically means that if Latvia is going to win against Sweden Irbe can't be solid, decent, good but excellent in net, which IMO he hasn't been.

He has made a couple of nice saves in the second, especially on the one-timer by PJ Axelsson.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
except the penalty killing, sweden is a disappointment so far. not much offense and i'm missing some spirit. the shorthander by alfie was a nice one, both other goals with 2-men-advantage.

i hope they'll play a bit better in the 3rd, but i'll doubt it.

Bumjoo Wang*

Well, although, Swedes haven't been that good, I really hope that they win the champs (will be tough - Czech Republic in the semis)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
rockstar1984 said:
Well, although, Swedes haven't been that good, I really hope that they win the champs (will be tough - Czech Republic in the semis)

as the german sweden-fan, i'd be quite happy with a medal for sweden. and i'm pretty sure that most swedish fans agree here. the czech seem to be strong, slovakia has good chances and finland/canada do not seem to be much worse than the mentioned.
sweden in the semi-finals is what makes me have a good feeling.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
This swedish team lacks of offensive talent but it is a really good hard-working team with solid defense and goaltending, and as many know, good defensive play can take teams to a long playoff run these days.

I think Sjöström and Tjärnqvist puts a face to the swedish team, been a long time since I saw two players work that hard. Very impressive. They lack scoring but it usually comes with hard work.

The defense is superb. Big, strong NHL-defensemen that can move players in front of their own goalie, and the pairing of Tärnström and Hävelid have been excellent. Looked somewhat risky on the paper as the two are among the worst in +/- in the NHL, but they proved they are good players on bad teams. Bäckman also a surprise and Tjärnqvist steady as usual.

We're going for the gold. :yo:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
4-1 Sweden
End of game.

Admirable third period by the Latvian players. Not a very entertaining game though. Sweden did what they had to two and nothing more. It's always this when Sweden plays a team outside the "Big 8". The win is what counts.

Good today in Sweden:
- Henrik Lundqvist (although perhaps he could/should have saved the latvian shot)
- Daniel Alfredsson (has been out of place in a couple of games, but was good today)
- Daniel Tjärnqvist (very good tonight, as were the rest of the d's too)
- PJ Axelsson (his work payed off, wonderful shift when Sweden was short handed)

SChan*

This is the hardest working swedish team ever, and I am proud of them.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Robertsson 4-ever said:
This swedish team lacks of offensive talent but it is a really good hard-working team with solid defense and goaltending, and as many know, good defensive play can take teams to a long playoff run these days.

the german commentator said there's hope for sundin for the next game. if that's true, there could be more offense from the swedish team. anyone heard something about it?

I think Sjöström and Tjärnqvist puts a face to the swedish team, been a long time since I saw two players work that hard. Very impressive. They lack scoring but it usually comes with hard work.

i totally agree. especially tjarnqvist impressed me a lot. this guy has a NHL future for sure. sjostrom as well, but more as a scorer.

The defense is superb. Big, strong NHL-defensemen that can move players in front of their own goalie, and the pairing of Tärnström and Hävelid have been excellent. Looked somewhat risky on the paper as the two are among the worst in +/- in the NHL, but they proved they are good players on bad teams. Bäckman also a surprise and Tjärnqvist steady as usual.

am i the only one that had faith in backman? he solid as a rock with a fine shot.

We're going for the gold. :yo:

hehe, that's a word! and i know who to blame if they fail and i'll be sad. ;)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Predatore said:
- PJ Axelsson (his work payed off, wonderful shift when Sweden was short handed)

he should just stay out of the penalty box in the next two games. :)

Bumjoo Wang*

Congratulations Sweden - a well deserved victory - the result probably should've been 3:2, but it's ok. Congratulations for team LATVIA for great chempionships - Thank you Kurre!!!

LATVIJA UZVARA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->