WC QF: May 10th GDT - USA vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I keep up with the GDT:s today and start the other game thread for today, since the game is bound to start in about 1 hour.

I think it'll be a very interesting game, with a United States team that has played better in WHC since a long time, according to me. Finland is Europe's own transatlantic team, so perhaps we will see a quite physical game this afternoon/day, depending on where you live.

United States has added Zach Parise from NJ Devils and Ryan Callahan from NY Rangers.

http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournaments_07/output/WS/hydra.iihf.com/113/

This game will probably be streamed online, just as the Canada - Switzerland game was, if you can't watch it on TV.

Last edited:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
In order to win USA Finland needs to improve the exploitation of scoring chances that has sucked so far in this tournament.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
Thanks for game talk Chimp.

Team USA is hungrier that it has been for a while. Good legs; and the s(kill) is there too. ( I meant finishing touch). These guys are serious this time.

And, as you mentioned, USA added Paris and Callahan to the roster. The thing is: are they ready to play ? Both are world class players, but it might be too soon for both. Or, do they just mess up the team chemistry ?

Finland has also been coining up its roster all the way. It has been changing pretty much for all of the games. Tell me when has that been any good for the team. The answer is, of course, only if the team is Canada.

My prediction: Finland will physically dominate (after 2nd); they will control the pace of the game, trying as hard they can, but they will not score. USA will have those two necessary counter attacks they need; and will score on both.

But, that's just based to this year performances from both teams. Let the game begin.

And just to be kidding; Lehtonen will tip in the first one :)

Last edited:

Macman

May 15, 2004
I'm hoping for the U.S. but their defence has got to be a lot better than it was against Canada. It was non-existent.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Nice two zone pass from USA, the Finnish defenseman felt he had to hook the American player (which he probably did). PP USA.

It's kind of hard to see which players who are involved in the plays, the commentator is speaking german and the picture is of course a little bit grainy. ;)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Nifty dekes by Lehtinen creates a good scoring chance on the PK for Finland. Grahame covered the lower part of the net and smothered the puck on the shot, which the Finnish player in front of the net really didn't get a lot of stick on.

USA answers with a dangerous oddman rush after the PP was over.

It's obvious both teams are playing for the win.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Finland scores! Tuomu Ruutu comes from nowhere and steals the puck from a battle at the left boards. He comes in with full speed and fires a wrister that Grahame perhaps should have had a piece of. USA cannot be satisfied with letting Ruutu stepping in that easily, although the opportunity didn't look that dangerous, it seemed like Grahame had full view of the shooter.

1-0 Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->