WC: May 7 GDT - Sweden vs. Russia

Devs

Jun 1, 2006
NJ/DC
No boarding call there on the Swedes?

Also, this is the first time I've really seen "European" style hockey... is this what you guys would call a normal match?

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Pretty nice first period. A lot more entertaining than the crapfest against Finland yesterday.

Devs

Jun 1, 2006
NJ/DC
He's been paid 4mil in RSL... who would pay him that much in NHL?

It's probably time to change the avatar ;)

Fair enough. Is he the best player in the RSL then?

I'll get around to the avatar... stupid playoff loses

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
No boarding call there on the Swedes?

Also, this is the first time I've really seen "European" style hockey... is this what you guys would call a normal match?
Naw, Morozov just got trapped between two Swedish players. ;)

Well, I guess you can call this "European style hockey", but it's a little bit more offensive than usual. Normally I think both teams would dedicate more defensively, but there are alot of offensively skilled players on the ice, so I can see why both teams have a hard time defending.

And yes, Morozov is probably the best player in RSL. I think he looks alot better now than when he played in NHL, it probably has to do with the atmosphere (the right line mates) and that he receives more ice time.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Great game to watch so far, IMO.

It's nice to see Tärnström stepping up as our best d-man in the absence of K.Jönsson.

Slava Fetisov in the swedish tv-studio! :handclap:

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
I knew Morozov would do that backhand move, it's his favourite one. If I was a Swedish goaltender coach, I would have yelled at our goalie to go all out on the glove.

We have a goalie coach? Since when? :)

But I have to say that Bengan did absolutely right when he told Ersberg to play.

If you have to chose to play your 'best' goalie to play and tell him "do your best but what ever you do, don't get hurt" versus playing your 'third' and say "here's your chance, go for it", the second is always better.

Devs

Jun 1, 2006
NJ/DC
errr ... this, coming from a Devils fan? :biglaugh:

It's not hockey if it's not the trap ;)

Seriously though, lots more passing, not as consistantly physical, but it seems like players go out of their way for the big hits. There was a Swede who stepped up and tried to level a Russian coming across the blue line, but ended up missing. That, and the hit against Morozov.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's not hockey if it's not the trap ;)

Seriously though, lots more passing, not as consistantly physical, but it seems like players go out of their way for the big hits. There was a Swede who stepped up and tried to level a Russian coming across the blue line, but ended up missing. That, and the hit against Morozov.
That's the thing, the bigger ice surface makes it easier to keep the puck in the team and each and every player on the ice know how to pass the puck. You see alot more often that a skilled team keeps the puck in possession while making the line change instead of just dumping it. That's also why there are less hits, it can be a positional mistake defensively to leave your position for a big hit, more than on a small rink.

Skill is favoured over physical play when the European players practice.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Jesus, the Russian commentators are predicting a 5-0 or 6-0 Russian win in the 2nd period.

Live with it.

Media (and federations) want every game to be huge do or die "now it's time to get even!", "now we'll show 'em!","we will rock you!" yada yada yada.

They make money on the intrest on the games.

Fact is that it isn't.
Bengan again hit the swedish headlines with "we shouldn't blow all we have against Russia, there's a more important game coming up".

And Fetisov in the swedish studio said "I'd guess that the intensity will go down in the second, there's bigger games coming up later on".

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
A little bit more biased than their Swedish counterparts I guess. ;)

OT to all Swedes, that Beijer commercial on the Swedish TV when the guy is making the dog hatch is awesome.
Click the picture and play the left one.
http://www.beijerbygg.se/templates/BB_ByggradStart.aspx?id=216

Ahh, please, and obvious quip. The first commentator asked a stupid question what's the 2-nd period scoreline, got an obviously humorous answer.

Wow, Morozov goes to the box :amazed:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Close shot in the post there. The Swedes are obviously having as a game plan to throw in guys in net, trying to screen, redirect and grabbing rebounds. I like it. Alot.

Oh crap, defensive breakdown. Inexcusable to leave a Russian totally alone in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad