WC: May 6 GDT - Sweden vs. Finland

Madness

Feb 7, 2007
Seriously, this game was so boring............................

I mean what is Finland's game plan?

To always hit everything, not to shoot but to throw the puck near the opposing team's goalie and then try and create scrums and such, to get your stick in the way of everything (that even hurt Finland and not only the game's quality).

Do they even have a game plan?

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004

Do you think the '83 kids have "kicked major butt and been game breakers" in these worlds? The 2 games we needed a game breaker were Russia (lost 5-4) and Sweden (lost 1-0)
Ukraine 0-5 Finland
Finland 6-2 Denmark
Switzerland 0-2 Finland
Finland 3-0 Italy

Ive got nothing against these kids, but i think its hard to get really excited about anything so far.
IF Finland gets knocked out against USA/Can on Thurs, how many positives will there have been?
IF however Finland beats USA/Can and could well get to the final (which i still think is a good possibility) then we can re-assess these kids contributions.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Seriously, this game was so boring............................

I mean what is Finland's game plan?
<snip>
Do they even have a game plan?

Both teams had the same gameplan.

Secure your defense, try to exploit mistakes and don't make any mistakes yourself.

The lone goal scored by sweden (or rather by finland for sweden) made it a boring game.

If the finnish team can be said to still have a weakness it's when they have to drive the game.

The can deliver stunning games against the other big 6, and they win against the 'lesser' teams, but they normally don't (or can't) turn on the steamroller like the others tend to do.

And that becomes a problem when you're down a goal and the opposition is playing the game that you would like to do, and they're about as good at it as you are.

IM(nv)HO.

Madness

Feb 7, 2007
The lone goal scored by sweden (or rather by finland for sweden) made it a boring game.

Well I personally don't care how many goals are scored when all we see is stickwork (in a non hockey entertaining way).

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Do you think the '83 kids have "kicked major butt and been game breakers" in these worlds? The 2 games we needed a game breaker were Russia (lost 5-4) and Sweden (lost 1-0)
Ukraine 0-5 Finland
Finland 6-2 Denmark
Switzerland 0-2 Finland
Finland 3-0 Italy

Ive got nothing against these kids, but i think its hard to get really excited about anything so far.
IF Finland gets knocked out against USA/Can on Thurs, how many positives will there have been?

And it's their fault we lost? Sure, they didn't score against Sweden and didn't outscore Russia, but they're hardly the only players on the team. Yet they are the ones there playing the best hockey. I don't care if guys like Peltonen and Kontiola is outscoring Koivu and Ruutu, since they did it mostly against these weaker teams you mentioned.

I'm not looking at the scoresheet. I'm not judging them based on the teams success. I'm judging them based on what they look like out there. And they're looking goooood. Just because they've been unlucky and haven't been scoring that much, doesn't lower my opinion on them at all.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Ukraine 0-5 Finland
Finland 6-2 Denmark
Switzerland 0-2 Finland
Finland 3-0 Italy

IF however Finland beats USA/Can and could well get to the final (which i still think is a good possibility) then we can re-assess these kids contributions.

Well in the context that I wrote it, I was thinking of them in filling roles in the olympic roster. T.Ruutu in the second line with OJ, Mikko Koivu being the 3rd line center... when have we had that kind of depth? the answer of course is never. Koivu and Ruutu were doing what they wanted, except scoring against sweden. Can't really blame them for not taking the italys and ugandas seriously. They dominated against sweden, and that is a nice ADDITION to our olympic roster that has never seen even 2 really good lines, let alone getting offense from 3 lines. Next time it could be possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->