WC: May 6 GDT - Russia vs. Switzerland

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
A really ugly tackle from Ovechkin. He did not try to hit anything but Wirz's head with his shoulder. :shakehead

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
That's the problem with Ovechkin. That is how he plays in NHL too. He is not disciplined.
I remember the game when he had a very dirty hit on Daniel Brier and was ejected from the game.

I hope Bykov kicks his star butt after this game.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
That's the problem with Ovechkin. That is how he plays in NHL too. He is not disciplined.
I remember the game when he had a very dirty hit on Daniel Brier and was ejected from the game.

Ah, cmon. The thing with Briere was an accident.. and the check against the swiss guy... i wanna see Kyle McLaren with one of his nasty hip checks... the IIHF would probably ban him for lifetime

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005

Errr... Ovechkin was skating perpendicularly to the path of Wirz. He had little, if any, intention of hitting him. I hate how the penalty get called, and the extent of the penalty gets changed after the fact depending on the "condition" of the player who suffered the hit - this almost encourages simulation.

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Ah, cmon. The thing with Briere was an accident.. and the check against the swiss guy... i wanna see Kyle McLaren with one of his nasty hip checks... the IIHF would probably ban him for lifetime

I don't think it was an accident with Brier. and that was just an example. I paid attention to Ovechkin and noticed he likes sneaky hits from the back.
I agree on IIHF rules though. Today's hit would be simply ignored if it was NHL game and all of the NHL tough guys would be banned for life not just McLaren. :biglaugh:

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
I don't think it was an accident with Brier. and that was just an example. I paid attention to Ovechkin and noticed he likes sneaky hits from the back.
I agree on IIHF rules though. Today's hit would be simply ignored if it was NHL game and all of the NHL tough guys would be banned for life not just McLaren. :biglaugh:

Well, Ovi seems to like it from behind :sarcasm: Dont judge him!

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Much better played 1st perioud for team Russia compared to the previous game and that was with 9 minutes of penalty time.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Errr... Ovechkin was skating perpendicularly to the path of Wirz. He had little, if any, intention of hitting him. I hate how the penalty get called, and the extent of the penalty gets changed after the fact depending on the "condition" of the player who suffered the hit - this almost encourages simulation.

well, i thought at first that it was a clean check. but the camera from behind the penalty box showed another truth. ovechkin's elbow went intentionally to the head of wirz and that's a game misconduct, no doubt about it.
but i think the ref did not see the elbow and that's why he decided to give a penalty that is depending on the condition of wirz.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
That's a BS call. That was not a penalty, but because of the swiss players condition, the ref blew the whistle.

EDIT: Anyone got a picture of Ovechkin hitting the swiss with his elbow? It looked like he where hitting him with his shoulder, IMO.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
but i think the ref did not see the elbow and that's why he decided to give a penalty that is depending on the condition of wirz.

I personally did not see any replay angle that showed an elbow, but the referee did, in fact, tell the Russian bench that he did not see the incident.

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
After scoring 3rd goal russians changed the name of this game from hockey to figure skating. Too much individual game buy their forwards skating around and trying to pass all 5 swiss players. :rant:

miccim

Jan 4, 2005
Great save from Hiller on Frolov during a Russian powerplay.

And goal from Streit on a Swiss powerplay. Although Malkin should not have been penalized alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->