WC: May 3 GDT - Denmark vs. Sweden

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah of course i know Sweden can play a lot better, but i'm just exciting about our young players...beating Sweden in hockey would of course be the best thing that could happen :)

My heartbeat was just 250 when the score was 3-2 and Frans Nielsen got the breakaway...and when we were dominating the Swedes in the end of the game...

Oh well, stil la game to remember :)

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Danes weren't bad at all, but they should've kept their game simpler, shot more and tried keeping the puck among themselves longer than a few seconds when they started their breakouts. Way too much puck thrown out in hazard passes after the 1st period. Madsen was decent in goal, that last one looked a bit silly, but he was screened. Denmark needs more playmaking, calm defensemen on their side. Nielsen, Starkov, Regin n Staal looked confident. Just bugged me how they (as a team) were going out to the boards or passing back to defensemen once they established in the offensive zone... oh and the penalties killed em. 5 on 5 they held their ground well. Special teams drained them off momentum. Chincy calls, yup, but many of them were due to frustration and poor discipline rather. Imo that last breakaway attempt that resulted a Holding(?) minor on Sweden could've been a Penalty shot... it'd made the game more interesting ;)

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Yeah of course i know Sweden can play a lot better, but i'm just exciting about our young players...beating Sweden in hockey would of course be the best thing that could happen :)
I actually have to agree.

Denmark beating Sweden in hockey would indeed be a very good thing, for hockey in general, for hockey in denmark and in some wierd way for hockey in sweden.

It'll take a while until Sweden-Denmark in hockey is as classic as the same in football. In hockey (and athletics) the archenemy is still Finland :)

But you are here, in the second round, and I for one like it :)

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
It would make Expressen and Bengt stop calling us blueberry nation and donald duck team, that's for sure :)

I think it was Bengan behind the blueberry thing only, and Wikegård behind the Donald Duck thing.

But be proud of the Donald Duck reference, remember the "Huey, Dewey and Louie line" (aka Peltonen,Koivu,Lethinen).

If you are at their level you're good, very good :)

Last edited:

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
Oh we can take it :)

Actually i have a question. What is the general oppinion about Danish hockey? I know that most Swedes on these boards has respect for our hockey because you know how extremely talented prospects are playing in the Swedish junior system. But what does the general Swede who might not know those players think? Are they still laughing when it comes to Danish hockey?

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm

Actually i have a question. What is the general oppinion about Danish hockey? I know that most Swedes on these boards has respect for our hockey because you know how extremely talented prospects are playing in the Swedish junior system. But what does the general Swede who might not know those players think? Are they still laughing when it comes to Danish hockey?

In general terms we're laughing our ass off.

Just image the headlines of the tabs after losing a hockey game to Denmark.

But those who are a little bit intrested is a tad more impressed.

SEL teams are employing danish players, sure SEL isn't NHL, but they're payed to play. So it's happening, it'll take time but it will happen.

It's all down to national interest, football, handball and hockey?

Denmark is at least bloody good at football (soccer) and handball, what number three? Biking?
(I feel a bit ashamed, I should know that).

But you did a good game, and germany beat czechia, who knows what your upset will be :)

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well yeah and players like Lars Eller and Mikkel Bødker has a shot at becoming real NHL stars.

It depends on how you measure the interest. If we look at attendance hockey is actually second over handball - believe it or not.

But it's the third biggest sport in Denmark. The oddset league is also getting better and better. Players like Jesper Damgaard and Jens Nielsen are returning to play in Denmark. Rumours even say that Kim Staal is on his way home. I don't believe that for a second though, he could still be a solid Elitserien player.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Well yeah and players like Lars Eller and Mikkel Bødker has a shot at becoming real NHL stars.

It depends on how you measure the interest. If we look at attendance hockey is actually second over handball - believe it or not.

But it's the third biggest sport in Denmark. The oddset league is also getting better and better. Players like Jesper Damgaard and Jens Nielsen are returning to play in Denmark. Rumours even say that Kim Staal is on his way home. I don't believe that for a second though, he could still be a solid Elitserien player.
Go Denmark go.
I look forward to the loss.

Denmark is moving forward, and the national team having a secure place in group A is making it better.

We will still consider it silly, until the first game is lost :)

But go Denmark go :)

We need more national teams, which means more national leagues. We need you to have a good run.

klappklapp

Apr 29, 2007
I must say it was a real treat watching Regin in yesterdays game, not very surprising considering his performance in timrå. Denmarks future looks interesting and something id rather read about in the swedish media than the spewings about lower ranked nations. :shakehead

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

I can't speak for the avrage Swede hockey fan, but I'm not looking down at danish hockey my self.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Speaking of Danish hockey, I'm glad to see that it's improving. Teams like Germany and Switzerland aren't a walk in the park to play against anymore and today, Denmark impressed me. Looks like the Danes want to be at the German/Swiss level.

Smaller hockey nations growing is good for hockey. If a smaller country like Slovakia with 5 million inhabitants can have a strong core of players, so can Denmark if the effort and determination is there.

LeafsrGods*

Speaking of Danish hockey, I'm glad to see that it's improving. Teams like Germany and Switzerland aren't a walk in the park to play against anymore and today, Denmark impressed me. Looks like the Danes want to be at the German/Swiss level.

Smaller hockey nations growing is good for hockey. If a smaller country like Slovakia with 5 million inhabitants can have a strong core of players, so can Denmark if the effort and determination is there.

Slovakia:bow:, they have amazed me of how many quality players they have produced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad