WC: May 21 Bronze Medal GDT - Canada vs. Finland

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I never said we lost because we had auld..i just said we had auld, again! i know some were not his fault but some he shoulda had.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Congrats to the Finns, they played great and Canada didn't show up. Canada has lost every bronze medal game on every level except one in the last 10 years or so. Canada doesn't play for bronze.

The Finns played so good it wouldn't have mattered anyway, they looked better today than Canada has been at any point this tournament. Crosby wasn't the same player today, for whatever reason. No time, no space. First time all tournament he was shut out. Still a jaw-dropping and record breaking tournament for the kid. Clearly the best player in Riga.

I said going into the tournament that with no short of four first year pros playing very important roles, that Canada would probably not play for a medal and they managed to do it. It was a hair away from possibly being the gold medal game, which would have been a miracle for this young group. Canada should be very proud of what they accomplished it was a good tournament for them, despite what happened today.

And as always, the Finnish posters (except one) are all class and congrats to you all on a great performance today. I was hoping you'd win gold at the tournament and had you won yesterday I bet you would have with the way you came out today.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ah "the Lordi effect", I knew it. :madfire: Finlands future will from now on be refeered to as BL and AL, and the year 2006 will become year 0000. From now on Finland will sail on the waves of Lordi, I think the finns will be leathal in next years WCH.

Finland winning the ESC is bigger upset then Canada winning the World Cup of soccer.

turnbuckle*

The Finns played a solid game and were fully deserved of the victory. Congratulations to the Suomi, I like their style of play.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Caz said:
I agree. We were the second most
penalized team in the tournament.

Have to correct myself.
We were the most penalized team by far.
Unfortunately we could not grow to play
according to the new way of calling the
penalties and we can only blame ourselves
for that.

But I'm proud of our team.
Shows guts and SISU to swallow the
bitterness of yesterday and go out
the tournament with a devastating win.

Doesn't make the pain go away, but
clearly eases it.

U18 - silver
U20 - bronze
OGs - silver
WC - bronze

It's not perfect but it could have
definitively been a worse hockey
year for us.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Full marks to the Finns for playing a great game, but Canada defenitly was not in it...we never show up for any other games when we are no longer in contention for Gold. There is something very wrong with that..yes we know Anything else but Gold is a failure but they gotta start thinking about world rankings and stuff...this is starting to get embarassing...I mean look at all the other events where we did not make it to the gold medal game.(besides world juniors.....except for the one year we finished in 8th) The Olympics and the World Championships....we lose a game in the quarter finals or semis...then we lose every one after that...we figure if were gonna lose...were gonna lose bad! :help:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Caz said:
Have to correct myself.
We were the most penalized team by far.
Unfortunately we could not grow to play
according to the new way of calling the
penalties and we can only blame ourselves
for that.

But I'm proud of our team.
Shows guts and SISU to swallow the
bitterness of yesterday and go out
the tournament with a devastating win.

Doesn't make the pain go away, but
clearly eases it.

U18 - silver
U20 - bronze
OGs - silver
WC - bronze

It's not perfect but it could have
definitively been a worse hockey
year for us.

I also like your style of play! You guys play with heart all the time, from the first game to the last game, which is more then i can say with some of our ``millionaires`` who if they can`t win gold then completely don`t care at all...... :shakehead

MMX

Aug 3, 2005
Minsk
66-87-29 said:
BTW to the above, getting put to the penalty box all the time does change the way your team plays, they were pretty even at the start of the game, Canada came out jumping at the start. How do you not know that penaltys can change the way your team plays? it's common sense, or atleast it should be.

No need to state the obvious buddy. Penalties had nothing to do with the fact that Finland totally outplayed Canada today.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Hey come on. Ref was terrible both ways so that wasn't turningpoint for this game.

We did shutdown BBC-line, we did drive to the net. All 5 goals were done from the front of the net.

I was surprised how bad was Canada's defence, and their "supposed" to be leader Shanahan was terribly lost.

Great job guys.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Harold_Snepps_Rocks said:
I also like your style of play! You guys play with heart all the time, from the first game to the last game, which is more then i can say with some of our ``millionaires`` who if they can`t win gold then completely don`t care at all...... :shakehead

You know, as fans of the sport I
guess we should be thrilled that
there is no clear favourite in
tournaments anymore and the
games between the "big" ones
can go either way.

I mean, there REALLY are several
teams capable of winning.

But as a fan of one's own team
it's also quite painful. Because
it means one's chances of winning
are smaller, as there are several
good ones.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
congrats to FIN, you guys are pretty classy fans. i'm not too worried about CAN not winning the gold, if anything this fine tunes the youngsters for next year or for the 2010 Olympics. good run CAN, it was a well assembled team they just came up a tad short. :handclap:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Shack said:
Hey come on. Ref was terrible both ways so that wasn't turningpoint for this game.

We did shutdown BBC-line, we did drive to the net. All 5 goals were done from the front of the net.

I was surprised how bad was Canada's defence, and their "supposed" to be leader Shanahan was terribly lost.

Great job guys.

Your right, and I think myself and most Canadians will agree with you...we just didn`t show up and our defence and goaltending in this tournament were really lacking some talent. You guys played great and shut down our best line...you guys deserved the victory for sure, as mentionned out of all the European countries i`m always impressed with the Finns the most because they play all out every game...you can`t help but respect that....

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Caz said:
You know, as fans of the sport I
guess we should be thrilled that
there is no clear favourite in
tournaments anymore and the
games between the "big" ones
can go either way.

I mean, there REALLY are several
teams capable of winning.

But as a fan of one's own team
it's also quite painful. Because
it means one's chances of winning
are smaller, as there are several
good ones.

Well it makes things more interesting, which is great. I mean look at soccer, there are obviously a couple of favorites but in reality there are like 10-12 teams that have a pretty good chance and you never know who will take it. Canada i still feel has the most talent and by a fair margin...but if we can`t come together as a team then we can`t win...Kind of like Brazil in soccer...lots of stars...but if they don`t form a good team, then they won`t win...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
66-87-29 said:
Yeah well you didn't watch the game i presume so you got no say in the matter.

I watched the game and I can say the same as the poster you were quoting, Canada simply got owned by Finland.

Referees had absolutely nothing to do with the loss.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Anyways,

I do sympathize with the CANs
today. They have hearts out of
pure hockeypucks.

As we all know, both of us
will have their revenge in time.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
If Canada's not playin for gold, then they wont put any emotion into the game.

Sad but true, obviously they didnt care if they got shutout 5-0 today.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
SergeiK said:
Then you just don`t love the game.

You have to always play with heart when you are wearing our country`s jersey.

thats why i said its sad but true. they dont want anything but the best.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Good game for Finland. Canada's effort obviously wasn't top notch, though better than I thought before the game. However, they lacked both finishing and luck today.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Harold_Snepps_Rocks said:
Your right, and I think myself and most Canadians will agree with you...we just didn`t show up and our defence and goaltending in this tournament were really lacking some talent. You guys played great and shut down our best line...you guys deserved the victory for sure, as mentionned out of all the European countries i`m always impressed with the Finns the most because they play all out every game...you can`t help but respect that....

Your team was realying too much on BBC-line. And I like your style of hockey, but still I'm surprised that it seems like Canada doesn't respect bronze medal, they only play for gold.

Well you have great youngsters so I see no worries on team Canada. Just get some talented youngsters to your own end and we all are in trouble.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
SenorDingDong said:
If Canada's not playin for gold, then they wont put any emotion into the game.

Sad but true, obviously they didnt care if they got shutout 5-0 today.
I'm pretty sure they cared. They just couldn't do it, that's it. Congrats Finland!

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
66-87-29 said:
Can't always rely on your first line, in this case Canada was only a 1st line atleast for Offense.

BTW to the above, getting put to the penalty box all the time does change the way your team plays, they were pretty even at the start of the game, Canada came out jumping at the start. How do you not know that penaltys can change the way your team plays? it's common sense, or atleast it should be.
Stop that, you're embarrassing me.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Pushkin said:
They juste don't care ahahah what a lame excuse... So they didn't care in Torino vs. Russia and yesterday vs. Sweden as well ??? Face it they simply got badly outplayed by better teams!
I think they cared. They wanted to win but at the same time, not quite there a 100%. You can see the difference in the intensity and the urgency against Russia in Torino and against Sweden yesterday; they were just not good enough to beat Russia and Sweden. Today, I didn't see the same drive and determination but it's NOT like they threw the game away. It's like playing the best you can while being depressed, you know what I mean? I think Europeans handle Bronze-medal game better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->