WC: May 2 GDT - Sweden vs. Switzerland

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
5:0?

Well, this current score justifies Latvian 8:2 loss to Sweden. If Swiss can't pull it off now, then we couldn't do it either.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
I don't see the game (no broadcast here), but from what I have seen on IIHF, Davidsson could be named as the player of the match for the Swedes

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As usual, the Swedes bombarded with goals in the 2nd period when it's far to make a line change. They tire out the opposition on the ice and holds it in the zone so they can't change.

Now the Swiss got a 2 min penalty for saying something improper. I think it was their coach. 2 min for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I think it's hilarious that Aebischer got a 10 min personal penalty and then had some other poor guy sit in the box. ;)

6-0 after a 5on3 PP.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The Swiss players look a little grumpy. I guess it isn't much fun being crushed on the scoreboard, especially not when they should hold their own better than Italy and Latvia did.

What I thought would be a weakness may actually be a strength. With no stars on the team, every player is supposed to step up and contribute. It's a team machine we're seeing this year and the players we have aren't exactly bums.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Although he could be the softest player around, I cannot help to be impressed with Davidsson's play in this tournament. So smart, so good with the puck and quick feet. Looks really confident out there. (and yeah, he is averaging 3 points per game too...)

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
To bad that we don't face Slovakia in the qualifying round, a loss to them would make me certain that we would win the gold. ;)

Anyway, solid, solid game, im still worried about goaltending though. Backlund doesn't look good at all. Really hope that Henriksson plays against both Russia and Finland.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
WARG - that is a very Vikingish surname, isn't it?

Don't know, it means "wolf". I believe Vikings did the 'son thing.

I got to nitpick a bit. Vikings sometimes used double "surnames". One of them were always a patronymicon (sson/dottir, determined by the name of your father) the other could be given to the person for a number of reasons. Like personal appearance or some skill. An example would be Erik Thorvaldsson Raudi (raudi means red) also known as Erik the Red, father of Leif Eriksson.

The original word for wolf was "ulv". In old norse, varg means "thief", not "wolf".

Snoil11

Aug 30, 2006
Germany
May someone give a brief sum-up of Backstrom's game? He has been held off the scoresheet, although the Swedes have scored six goals and even in the first two games, he and Steen were not the dominant players, they had been supposed to be, weren't they?

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I thought Bäckström played a good game, he was the best guy on that line. Alex Steen hogged the puck on a bit that line and the other winger, Fredrik Emvall, was pretty much invisible.

twelve

May 19, 2005
Ah well, better to loose now than later on...

I just hope the team SUI can step up from here. The second period was terrible to watch :P

SWE looked good, great passing especially. The logical winner in that game. Congratulations!

LeafsrGods*

Ah well, better to loose now than later on...

I just hope the team SUI can step up from here. The second period was terrible to watch :P

SWE looked good, great passing especially. The logical winner in that game. Congratulations!

Congratualtions, Swedish fans, your team is officially in the finals against the Russians.:sarcasm: :naughty: :win:

Lee Van Cleef*

I got to nitpick a bit. Vikings sometimes used double "surnames". One of them were always a patronymicon (sson/dottir, determined by the name of your father) the other could be given to the person for a number of reasons. Like personal appearance or some skill. An example would be Erik Thorvaldsson Raudi (raudi means red) also known as Erik the Red, father of Leif Eriksson.

The original word for wolf was "ulv". In old norse, varg means "thief", not "wolf".

In the 17th century when Sweden was in constant wars they changed the soldiers surnames because no one could have the same surname in the same company or whatever, so they usually took an object or ability that was nearby and simple, like Svärd/Sword, Stolt/Proud, Oxe/Oxen etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad