WC: May 13 GDT - USA vs. Latvia

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Kel Varnsen said:
Yeah, but there should have been one on LAT just before they scored 1-1. So i guess its even out now. :)

Fair enough. However, I seriously dislike the way some of the US players are playing, especially Alberts, Gill and Brown. Basic goons. Hopefully this team will get REALLY schooled by more skillfull opponents...ala Finland yesterday.

Telecaster

Aug 18, 2005
Stockholm
Boucicaut said:
Fair enough. However, I seriously dislike the way some of the US players are playing, especially Alberts, Gill and Brown. Basic goons. Hopefully this team will get REALLY schooled by more skillfull opponents...ala Finland yesterday.

True, i dont get why Dustin is playing like this in this game, he has some serious skills. Gill i can understand.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Boucicaut said:
You said they were too slow for fast skating teams. If people are upset about them being a little too nasty, that means they're doing their job. You can't be a big slow defenseman and play a finesse game against small, fast skaters.

Though, maybe it isn't necessary against a lesser team like Latvia.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
dafoomie said:
You said they were too slow for fast skating teams. If people are upset about them being a little too nasty, that means they're doing their job. You can't be a big slow defenseman and play a finesse game against small, fast skaters.

Though, maybe it isn't necessary against a lesser team like Latvia.

I really wonder why guys like Gill and Alberts were chosen. Makes no sense really. Surely there are scores of much faster D-guys available? These guys are just brutal on the big ice. With a faster D-corps this US squad might actually medal.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
It is ironic. USA don't really care about IHWC, while for Latvia it's a hockey event of the year. US NT have almost an unsaid apathy about this event. The result should have been 4:2 in favour of Latvia.

We are going home... oh wait, we are home! How painful

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Like Wall said:
It is ironic. USA don't really care about IHWC, while for Latvia it's a hockey event of the year. US NT have almost an unsaid apathy about this event. The result should have been 4:2 in favour of Latvia.

We are going home... oh wait, we are home! How painful

Well, it didn't look too good even before the tourney with key guys refusing to play due to issues with the coaching staff. Astashenko leaving in the middle of the tourney wasn't a sign of good things either, although teams can sometimes get through things like this (Finland & Niinimaa at WCH2004).

So, considering how much bad blood there was behind the scenes, I'd say that the Latvian squad didn't too particularly badly. Slightly disappointing still of course.

burgundynblue

Aug 7, 2005
Boucicaut said:
I seriously dislike the way some of the US players are playing, especially Alberts, Gill and Brown. Basic goons. Hopefully this team will get REALLY schooled by more skillfull opponents...ala Finland yesterday.
I am totally with you on this one. :clap:
However, rather interesting 2 final periods of play. Still, there is a distinct possibility that Latvia will get 9th place. Ain't that bad, I would say...

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Boucicaut said:
I really wonder why guys like Gill and Alberts were chosen. Makes no sense really. Surely there are scores of much faster D-guys available? These guys are just brutal on the big ice. With a faster D-corps this US squad might actually medal.
Talent pool is pretty thin this year. Alberts is pretty good, younger guy, usually a good skater, and Gill plays in a lot of these tournaments, god knows why since he's one of the slowest skaters you can find. The better skating defensemen ended up making the playoffs, but even the USA Olympic team this year had a bunch of slow D.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
dafoomie said:
Gill plays in a lot of these tournaments, god knows why since he's one of the slowest skaters you can find.

He was interviewed in a Finnish magazine and he told that he likes to travel. He told that because of these tournaments he has seen many cities which are unknown to most Americans.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
TORRUS said:
I'm impressed by 17 year old Daugavins! Such a great player for his age. He's not intimidated at all and plays very hard! Can't believe nobody was talking about him before. But I'm sure that will change very soon though... :yo:

Kid looks great, much better than i thought. So strange that theres no scouting report for this guy and only after WHC U-18 he made some scouts turn their heads.

Oh yeah, this was good game, enjoyed every second of it, well we lost our chanche to battle for q-finals but for such young squad we had this year, thumbs up :clap:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Sakaarnis said:
Kid looks great, much better than i thought. So strange that theres no scouting report for this guy and only after WHC U-18 he made some scouts turn their heads.

I was actualy more impressed with him than with Kessel (first time I saw him).

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
TORRUS said:
I was actualy more impressed with him than with Kessel (first time I saw him).

Yeah, he looks very promising. Didn't seem to have a problem with physical play despite being targeted by some US players all game long. Redlihs was similar in this respect (e.g. the T. Ruutu hit) and also quite promising.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
I'm verry happy that Latvia didn't make the play-offs, because if there was Russia - Latvia quaterfinal it wouldn't be just hockey game :shakehead

I haven't watched the whole game, but I saw some moments.. I saw how Sutter (or who?) has hited that young latvian guy (who plays in mask) and then (when young latvian has fallen down) struck him with stick. And nobody from latvian team even tried to defence their young team mate.. :shakehead

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->