WC Group E: May 1 GDT - Latvia vs. Switzerland (1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumjoo Wang*

We have to win the Swiss - 4:2, I say (last goal an empty net - They need the point too)

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
0:0 after the first period. Switzerland controlled most of the game 5 on 5, which forced the Latvians to take many penalties. But the swiss PP sucked so far. Great save by Irbe in the last minute of the period.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
boring game after 2nd, still 0-0. switzerland is a bit better, but their PP sucks big time. and latvia with some nice break-aways, but they need to do more to earn a win. so far the tie seems to be fair.

the 3rd starts, it can't get worse. :)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
very nice goal by latvia. the swiss defense looked horrible.

10min to go now and i don't think switzerland will be able to come back.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
zecke26 said:
10min to go now and i don't think switzerland will be able to come back.

ok, they proved my wrong just a few secs after i wrote this. but latvia seems to be better now and they want the 2nd goal. switzerland seems to be happy with a tie.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone explain me why there was no penalty shot called when Irbe shot the puck over the glass within the last 2 minutes? He got 2min for delay of the game, but I thought that it should also be a penalty shot when this happens within the last 2 min. Does anybody know the exact rules for this case?

Bumjoo Wang*

Don't know about the rules, but I think the penalty shot wasn't given because it was not intended - it was just poor play by Irbe - the result should have been 2:1 - the refing was a real comedy!! :banghead:

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
rockstar1984 said:
Don't know about the rules, but I think the penalty shot wasn't given because it was not intended - it was just poor play by Irbe - the result should have been 2:1 - the refing was a real comedy!! :banghead:
Come on, you can't be serious about this. It was clear cut intentional, and even the ref saw this (otherwise he would not have handed out the 2min penalty).

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Strizzi said:
Can anyone explain me why there was no penalty shot called when Irbe shot the puck over the glass within the last 2 minutes? He got 2min for delay of the game, but I thought that it should also be a penalty shot when this happens within the last 2 min. Does anybody know the exact rules for this case?

AFAIK, and I can't find anything that suggest otherwise, there is no rule like that. I think that deliberately moving the goals is the only delay of game penalty that causes a penalty shot during last two minutes.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
MaV said:
AFAIK, and I can't find anything that suggest otherwise, there is no rule like that. I think that deliberately moving the goals is the only delay of game penalty that causes a penalty shot during last two minutes.
Ãt may very well be, that's why I ask. It's just that myself, as well as the swiss commentator and apparently the swiss captain thought that it should have awarded a penalty shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->