WC Group D: Apr 25 GDT - Austria vs. Canada (2-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
I've never seen an austrian team play like this. This was unbelievable. The first few minutes Canada was able to put Austria under pressure, but somehow Austria managed to turn that around.

A big problem for Canada were the penalties. Whenever they started to show up in the austrian zone, they got a penalty and Austria was on the pp. And this powerplay was incredible. Fast passes, creative moves - from time to time they really fooled Canada.

I wanted to watch canadian players closely, because I've never seen anyone of them play except on tv, but after austria started to come through, the austrian in me came through :).

Best players on Team Austria:
Andre Lakos (one of the best stickhandlers on the team, incredible skater for his size)
Oliver Setzinger (kept hitting in his own zone and set up rushes)
Thomas Vanek (some world-class actions, but I always had the feeling he is just scratching the surface)
Thomas Pöck (good work without the puck, incredible powerplay quarterback)
Dieter Kalt (His expierience really helped)
Matthias Trattnig (He is there every shift and has the ability to beat guys one on one, fine passing skills)
Trattnig, Kalt and Vanek formed a very good first line.
Daniel Welser (a quite important part of Team Austria, because he played a very physical game, he also had some good actions in the offensive zone)

Last but not least Reinhard Divis. He made some unbelievable saves to keep Team Canada off the scoresheet. Equally important is his coolness under pressure.

The real strength of Austria was, that there was no line who could not keep pace with the Canadiens. Good overall Teamwork.

Let's see what Austria can do in this tournament.

I have still high expectations for Canada. In the third period they showed their extra-class. My prediction is, they will not play a game like that anymore but go all the way to the gold medal.

Btw, guys, this Arena in Prague is awesome :yo:

Last edited:

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
PantherboyHTR said:
I didn't catch the game today, so could someone kindly tell me how Luongo and Bouwmeester played?

Should Luongo still be the #1 guy for the tourney, or do you think he is done?
I'd say Luongo played a good game. He robbed Austria on a few occassions and there was nothing he could do about the goals. (I couldn't see if the first one was a deflection, if not, he is to blame)

Bouwmeester played with a lot of poise and focused on defense. His skating abilities really turn heads.

Remember, that's just coming from an excited austrian :)

Last edited:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Fan.At said:
Bouwmeester played with a lot of poise and focused on defense. His skating abilities really turn heads.
I wish that Bouwmeester will be more offense oriented than he is now. With such skating abilities, he can be dangerous offensively. I've seen glimpse of that, but unfortunately, not enough.

The Austrian

i was also in the arena. sitting next to Giguerre... He first smiled a little, when we shout "quack quack quack" .. after the 2:0, i can´t see a smile on his face... *gg*

it was really a great game. the best i´ve ever seen by an austrian national team. i´m so proud of this young guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->