WC Group B: Apr 28 GDT - Slovakia vs. Finland (5-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Robertsson 4-ever said:
I personally rank Noronen ahead of Nurminen, don't like him. Kiprusoff though, is Finland's best goalie at the moment.

I think Lehtonen (just won the series in AHL 4-0 and the team they won was better during the regular season) is Finland's best goalie, but Kiprusoff has been playing really well also. I think Nurminen is a little better than Noronen, but not much.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Gaborik10 said:
What's Gaborik looked like so far?

Very good. He is creating scoring chances by himself, he is really good. Will be back in old good shape next season in Minnesota. He is really talented.

BTW, it was a fantastic game. So many good players, good speed, this is the best tournament for some time IMO.

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
tommi462 said:
Nurminen would've saved that one.

Maybe. For some reason Finnish goalies turn into "imuri" goalies when they play for the national team. That first goal by Noronen was disastrous. You cannot give the Slovaks the gift of allowing them to play a counterattacking game. They love to play that style and are simply too good at it.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I think it's pretty clear we won't be getting the gold medal this year. Might as well save my time and not watch the remaining slaughters.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
tommi462 said:
I think it's pretty clear we won't be getting the gold medal this year. Might as well save my time and not watch the remaining slaughters.

Why is it clear? It was a decent game for both sides. Tournaments are long and usually teams lose at some point.

Niinimaa was HORRIBLE today. Noronen went down too fast on 2 goals and slovaks just went round him and put it in empty net.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Well, the better team won. Slovakia played smart after the 3-2 goal, not allowing Finland to use their speed and 4-line tactic to the fullest. One Koivu-Selänne duo, please - stirred, not shaken.

Btw, I thought Mäntylä played easily his best game of the tournament so far. Which isn't saying much, but you can still call it progress!

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
ZeroTheHero said:
The 95 win was a result of the other teams having even worse rosters.

That and they played together as a team but I wouldn't say it was a fluke. Team Finland has won medals after that and that clearly shows signs of continued progress imo.

Today the best team won. I still wonder a little bit why Team Slovakia chose to use two lines that much and why the ref let Hossa carry the puck in his hands. Maybe he didn't see it. Well, we lost the game so no need to cry about it. Next game against arch rivals Sweden. That game is a must win.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
tommi462 said:
It's kinda easy to be pessimistic when the team always screws up. The 95 win was a fluke.

A bit of changed lyrics from the song Three Lions by The Lightning Seeds featuring Baddiel and Skinner: "but Finland's gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away, but I know they can play". Pretty much sums up my thoughts about our team some times. :banghead: :mad:

FinnoHab

Dec 21, 2003
Thailand
ZeroTheHero said:
Kiprusoff has too bad fundamentals. I wouldn't bet on Summanen even choosing him for the world cup. And considering Kipper has said no to the national team before I wouldn't be too sure he'd accept playing.

Bad fundamentals? He's sure putting up some decent numbers for someone whose fundamentals are unsound. OK, perhaps Lehtonen has even better fundamentals, but I don't think your criticism of the Kipper is entirely justified.

As for turning down an invitation to play for Team Finland, I doubt anyone would decline a chance to play in the World Cup. It's a step up in importance from this little annual spring-time WC Tourney, and pretty much every NHLer wants to play for their country there.

Lehtonen and Kiprusoff as the goalie tandem for the World Cup.. It's got to be that way.

Last edited:

Max Denby

Jul 28, 2003
Oslo
Visit site
Padawan said:
It is. Bad Jyssy, shame on you...

Anyway, I think it will be a tight match that ends in 3-3 tie. Three goals is done in PP.

Yeah, very bad...he should have gone with : EI SAA PETÄÄ or something :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad