WC BRONZE MEDAL GAME: MAY 9 GDT - Slovakia vs. USA (0-1 OT PS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Congratulations USA!

Big mistake by Frantisek Hossa to select a 20-year old Gaborik for the 4th shot. Was he nervous or what?

For those of you who couldn´t watch the game, you didn´t miss anything. The players were too tired or just mentally dehydrated to generate any offense.

Edit: The swedish commentators said that Conklin and Cullen were the best players in USA, I agree completely. Drury and Park seemed to have a hangover.

Last edited:

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Kronblom said:
Congratulations USA!

Big mistake by Frantisek Hossa to select a 20-year old Gaborik for the 4th shot. Was he nervous or what?

For those of you who couldn´t watch the game, you didn´t miss anything. The players were too tired or just mentally dehydrated to generate any offense.

Edit: The swedish commentators said that Conklin and Cullen were the best players in USA, I agree completely. Drury and Park seemed to have a hangover.

Gaborik seemed to be tired the whole game, same at the penalty shot. He tried to deke the puck to the right side and then couldn't catch it again with the stick so it just slid by the net...

Cullen not only showed great offense in this game he also fought his way through the slovakian defense, there could have been some goals if Lasak had not kept his coolness.

Conklin made some great saves throughout the game, but on some easy saves he was lucky that the puck did not find his way into the net...

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
Do you know what the reason was that he was tired? Did he play a lot throughout the game? Because he's really not good at all when he's all alone going in on goal...he never scores in that situation, just ask us Wild fans....he's got the talent, but he just doesn't have the confidence I guess...been like that for a while now.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Dan Galvin said:
Congratulations Team USA!!! To win a bronze with a lot better players sitting at home doing nothing shows the character of the team there. Nice job boys and thanks for giving a shi^%$ :)

Yeah, you've got to wonder how much the effort these guys put in will count when the World Cup team is announced? I wouldn't be too surprised to see some strange names then.

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
Nah, 3/4 of these guys won't be there. Modano, Geurin, Tkachuk, and the rest are gonna go instead. The injustice of it...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jussi said:
Yeah, you've got to wonder how much the effort these guys put in will count when the World Cup team is announced? I wouldn't be too surprised to see some strange names then.

These are the guys I think have a good shot of being considered for the U.S. World Cup team:

Chris Drury
Aaron Miller
Paul Mara
Ty Conklin
Mike Dunham

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Rabid Ranger said:
These are the guys I think have a good shot of being considered for the U.S. World Cup team:

Chris Drury
Aaron Miller
Paul Mara
Ty Conklin
Mike Dunham

Dunham and Conklin are probably a given, as is Esche, those are about the only US goalies in the NHL. I thought Malone looked good in the Sweden game, as did Park, those 2 should get a shot.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
guinness said:
Dunham and Conklin are probably a given, as is Esche, those are about the only US goalies in the NHL. I thought Malone looked good in the Sweden game, as did Park, those 2 should get a shot.

Not really a given. Here are the American NHL goaltenders:

Esche
Dunham
Conklin
Johnson (Brent)
Boucher
Andersson
DiPietro
Snow
Grahame

Personally, I think Esche is the starter with Dunham getting the back-up job based on his NHL experience. There will be a young guy in the 3rd spot, with that coming down to (IMO) DiPietro or Conklin. I think they'll go with DiPietro as he's the "future" of U.S. goaltending. As for the forwards you mentioned. No chance. There are several more viable options.

Sparky

Feb 19, 2004
Virginia
Hopefully they'll give Steve Konowalchuk a slot. He had to miss the Olypics in his home town of Salt Lake City due to injury, but he'd make an excellent 3rd liner/special teams player for the WC squad. That and he plays very well next to Jeff Halpern... :)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Sparky said:
Hopefully they'll give Steve Konowalchuk a slot. He had to miss the Olypics in his home town of Salt Lake City due to injury, but he'd make an excellent 3rd liner/special teams player for the WC squad. That and he plays very well next to Jeff Halpern... :)

Halpern won't make the World Cup team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mobey said:
Halpern won't make the World Cup team.

True, although now that I think about it, Konowalchuk could get a long look. Gritty, and good enough skill level to finish, especially on the PP. The U.S. team will need another gritty type now that Deadmarsh is out of action.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Rabid Ranger said:
True, although now that I think about it, Konowalchuk could get a long look. Gritty, and good enough skill level to finish, especially on the PP. The U.S. team will need another gritty type now that Deadmarsh is out of action.

He'll get a look, but there are better options than him.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Rabid Ranger said:
Any ideas? To me Konowalchuk fits a certain role.

I just think there are better options, myself nothing against Kono as he is a good NHL grinder but I dont think he is one of the 14 or 15 best Americans in the NHL.

It's just too bad Deadmarsh had to suffer severe concussions, he filled a role on Team USA that I'm not sure anyone else is capable of right now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Herby said:
I just think there are better options, myself nothing against Kono as he is a good NHL grinder but I dont think he is one of the 14 or 15 best Americans in the NHL.

It's just too bad Deadmarsh had to suffer severe concussions, he filled a role on Team USA that I'm not sure anyone else is capable of right now.

The one guy I think that's similar is Erik Cole. I don't know if the U.S. brass will consider him though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mobey said:
What role do you envision him taking? I think Conroy could play a similar role, yet offering far more offensive skill.

Well, Conroy's a center for one thing, and I think the U.S. is fairly deep there. He could play wing, or another player could change positions to make him, doesn't really matter I guess. I like Konowalchuk because he's hard nosed, plays the boards, and can finish. He'd be my replacement for Adam Deadmarsh.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Rabid Ranger said:
Well, Conroy's a center for one thing, and I think the U.S. is fairly deep there. He could play wing, or another player could change positions to make him, doesn't really matter I guess. I like Konowalchuk because he's hard nosed, plays the boards, and can finish. He'd be my replacement for Adam Deadmarsh.

Yeah, but it's easier for a center to switch then vice versa in my opinion...especially with Roenick showing he's very capable of playing wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->