WC: Apr 30 GDT - Latvia vs. Sweden

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Gonchar, Markov, Phaneuf, Zidlicky that's off the top of my head, without looking at any of the rosters...all better (might be on the offensive side xcept the canadien)

Gonchar? No way. Markov? close but no cigar. Phaneuf? Not yet, but he will be better. Zidlicky? Better than anyone? :D

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Gonchar? No way. Markov? close but no cigar. Phaneuf? Not yet, but he will be better. Zidlicky? Better than anyone? :D

Way to go homer style. While Kenny Jonsson is a good player, he don't stand anywhere near Gonchar or Markov as an overall player, Zidlicky is much better offensively. Oh yeah and that face, it's just got to go. At least give him a tinted visor so kids don't see him on TV:)

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia
And what exactly did u hope for all these years? You have exosted all the players brought up by the Soviet Junior system. Now it's what Latvija can really do at this stage, should be lucky to keep a place in Division A.

Especially knowing how the hockey business is done in Latvija (cutting equally or slightly more talented players with non latvijan last names, and I didn't make that up, heard it while in Riga 2 years ago).

Typical thinking influenced by Russian media. This is completely biased and not true - Both Latvian Latvians and Latvian Russians cherish the Latvian team without distinguishing between the nationality of the players. Sergey Zholtok, who was a Latvian Russian, is still one of the most loved players in Latvia - a school has been named after him and every year players and fans go to put flowers on his grave. Latvian main coach is Russian as well - Oleg Znarok - who is well respected and is the one responsible for choosing players to play on the national team. Although most of the younger players are in fact Latvian Latvians (Daugavins, Karsums, Galvins, Bartulis, Redlihs' brothers, Darzins), this is only because there are no younger Latvian Russians playing at a sufficient level to crack the national team (except defender Alex Jerofejev, who is not even the best candidate!). Most of the 30 year olds are however Russian Latvians (Semjonov, Tambijev, goalie Sergey Naumovs, Alex Nizivijs (one of the leaders), Pantelejev, etc.). It is all about player's will to play for the national team and profficiency and nothing about nationality.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Typical thinking influenced by Russian media. This is completely biased and not true - Both Latvian Latvians and Latvian Russians cherish the Latvian team without distinguishing between the nationality of the players. Sergey Zholtok, who was a Latvian Russian, is still one of the most loved players in Latvia - a school has been named after him and every year players and fans go to put flowers on his grave. Latvian main coach is Russian as well - Oleg Znarok - who is well respected and is the one responsible for choosing players to play on the national team. Although most of the younger players are in fact Latvian Latvians (Daugavins, Karsums, Galvins, Bartulis, Redlihs' brothers, Darzins), this is only because there are no younger Latvian Russians playing at a sufficient level to crack the national team (except defender Alex Jerofejev, who is not even the best candidate!). Most of the 30 year olds are however Russian Latvians (Semjonov, Tambijev, goalie Sergey Naumovs, Alex Nizivijs (one of the leaders), Pantelejev, etc.). It is all about player's will to play for the national team and profficiency and nothing about nationality.

Well I don't know who's stereotyping here, but something is telling me that it is you, 'cause I was in Riga, went to a party where some national team (Latvija) players were present, and also managed to talk to some Russian Latvijan parents who's kids play hockey in Latvija, and that's why I wrote that up, not because I read Russian papers. As a matter of fact, I have never seen anything like that in Russian papers.
And the fact that all the young players are true Latvijans only proves it. The ratio didn't change much, it's the politics that have.
Now the 30 year olds are Russians, 'cause like I said in my earlier posts, they were brought up by the Soviet junior systems and Russian coaches who made Latvijan hockey (Tihonov, Jurzinov), during the times where they were picked due to their talent, unlike it is now. I hope I don't have to remind you who promoted Dynamo (Riga) from 2nd division beer/vodka drinking team, into premiere League during the Soviet times, and tought it to be competetive with the big Moscow clubs.

Now inspite of all that, I usually support Latvijan hockey team, just 'cause we were one country back in the day, unless they play Russia, Belorus' or Ukraine, unlike your counntrymates who support anyone playing against us.

You can disagree, but I think my opinion has some weight to it, like it or not.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
And I will support Latvijans today against Italy, despite the fact, that they have history with us and have more chances of beating us, than the Italiens.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Way to go homer style. While Kenny Jonsson is a good player, he don't stand anywhere near Gonchar or Markov as an overall player, Zidlicky is much better offensively. Oh yeah and that face, it's just got to go. At least give him a tinted visor so kids don't see him on TV:)

And I can say that it is you, who is homer, cause Gontchar is horrible defensivly, and is nowhere near Kenny.

And stop talking about points, we are talking who is the best Defenseman, not miedfielder.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
And I can say that it is you, who is homer, cause Gontchar is horrible defensivly, and is nowhere near Kenny.

And stop talking about points, we are talking who is the best Defenseman, not miedfielder.

Today's defensman has to be able to do both, if you are talking stay at home defensman, then you must clarify that. Gonchar is not horrible defensively, it's just his defens is average and his offense is superb...

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Today's defensman has to be able to do both, if you are talking stay at home defensman, then you must clarify that. Gonchar is not horrible defensively, it's just his defens is average and his offense is superb...

Well, you can't say that Kenny does not do anything at offense. Let's say he's great defesivly, and alright offensivly.

For my team I would have chosen Kenny over Gontchar without a doubt. I think Defense for D-man>Offense for D-man.

Still I will say that the statement about Kenny being the best in tournament is debatable. For me, he is, because he's used to big rinks, unlike Markov and Phaneuf who are the other contenders for this title. You may think otherwise, that's your opinion.:)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
People seem to forget that Kenny Jönsson was voted the best defenseman in the entire Olympics tournament in 2006. He's no bum just because he doesn't play in NHL anymore, he moved home to Sweden for family reasons.

Madness

Feb 7, 2007

Have you seen Kenny play?

Gonchar is only like top 3 ppg d-man in the NHL over the past 5-6 years...

McCabe.;)

You said it yourself, his defense is average, he makes mistakes from time to time. There's nothing average about Kenny Jonsson, he can do it all, every thing he does looks so easy yet most NHL D-men can't even do these things.

Kenny Jonsson would be a #1 D-man in the NHL.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Have you seen Kenny play?

McCabe.;)

You said it yourself, his defense is average, he makes mistakes from time to time. There's nothing average about Kenny Jonsson, he can do it all, every thing he does looks so easy yet most NHL D-men can't even do these things.

Kenny Jonsson would be a #1 D-man in the NHL.

I've seen the guy play, god, B's play Islanders like million times a year. He's a good D-man I'll give you that much, calling him the best D-man of a tournament is an overstatement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->