WC: WC 2018 - Team Russia

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
weakest russia team in 15 years...but its still a good team, some good nhlers mixed with very good khlers. any chance players from round 2 in stanley cup will show up ?

Gusev - Datsuyk - Dadonov
Buchnevich - Anisimov - Kaprizov
Mamin - Grigorenko - Barabanov
Andronov - Shalunov - Soshnikov

Nesterov - Zaitsev
Gavrikov - Tryamkin
Yakovlev - Bereglazov

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
final roster

Goalkeepers: Vasily Koshechkin (Metallurg), Ilya Sorokin (CSKA), Igor Shestyorkin (SKA).

Defenders: Nikita Nesterov, Bogdan Kiselevich (both CSKA), Nikita Zaitsev (Toronto), Vladislav Gavrikov, Dinar Khafizullin, Yegor Yakovlev (all - SKA), Alexey Bereglazov (Metallurgist), Nikita Tryamkin (Automobilist) .

Forwards: Pavel Datsyuk, Nikita Gusev, Alexander Barabanov, Ilya Kablukov (all - SKA), Kirill Kaprizov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Sergey Andronov, Maxim Shalunov (all - CSKA), Evgeny Dadonov, Maxim Mamin (both of Florida), Artem Anisimov (Chicago), Pavel Buchnevich (Rangers), Nikita Soshnikov (St. Louis), Alexey Byvaltsev (Amur), Ilya Mikheev (Avangard).
I'm sure I heard Zadorov was taking part in this tournament... Injured?

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
No Belov, Zub, Tkachyov, Telegin, Kalinin and Shirokov ???

and what style of players are Alexey Byvaltsev and Ilya Mikheev?

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow

Belov spent a bad season. Tkachyov, according to the coach, is tired and he has no emotions after winning the KHL. Telegin and Kalinin are injured, Shirokov is simply not needed.

Byvaltsev is a creative central forward, I think he will be in reserve at the start of the tournament.
Mikheev is a player of the same type as Soshnikov and Mamin.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
DcGWee0X4AAxfTp

Pile of shit. Worst roster since 2005 and as mentioned before in here - not even the best from KHL either.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
DcGWee0X4AAxfTp

Pile of ****. Worst roster since 2005 and as mentioned before in here - not even the best from KHL either.

Overall, I agree, but thank God at least Datsyuk is there to provide some leadership. It will be sorely needed. And maybe Kaprizov can at least provide some highlight reels. They will be needed also!

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
What about Dadonov, the guy has had a great season in Florida. He will be one of the team's leader. Buchnevich, Grigorenko, Shalunov will be fine too....I think they should have taken Galiev/Tkachyov though. Let's see what happens.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What about Dadonov, the guy has had a great season in Florida. He will be one of the team's leader. Buchnevich, Grigorenko, Shalunov will be fine too....I think they should have taken Galiev/Tkachyov though. Let's see what happens.
Are you kidding? Grigorenko? Shalunov? Seriously?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Belov spent a bad season. Tkachyov, according to the coach, is tired and he has no emotions after winning the KHL. Telegin and Kalinin are injured, Shirokov is simply not needed.

Byvaltsev is a creative central forward, I think he will be in reserve at the start of the tournament.
Mikheev is a player of the same type as Soshnikov and Mamin.
You can defend all you want, but what will you answer to the simple fact that Byvaltsev signed with SKA? There is no other reason for him being on this roster. Not even close. Mikheev, Soshnikov, Mamin... WTF really?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Shirokov is not that good. Not by a long shot. Telegin and Belov are injured. So there is that.

But guess how many AkBars players are on this roster? That answers why there is no Tkachyov. And the question abot Byvaltsev. You are some decent player and you are never NT material, but you signed with SKA? Welcome aboard!

This roster is built on medoicrity and will get exposed. Mamin,Soshnikov, Kablukov, Mikheev, Khafizullin, Yakovlev. It's a bad joke.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Verdict on Vorobiev is conclusive: no balls, no self respect. This is not a NT coach.

I wonder if Rotenberg is seriously that stupid that he doesn't understand that with this roster he is going to drive the whole thing against the wall and World Championships are not the place for his idiotic SKA country club antiques? This is not the Olympics without NHLers where his arse was saved last minute by Gusev, Datsyuk and Kaprizov. It won't be enough.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I definitely think they should have taken Tkachyov. He was so effective in the WC last year. I thought he should have been named to the Olympic roster as well.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Practice line-up today

Koshechkin (Shestyorkin, Sorokin);

Nesterov - Zaitsev, Kaprizov - Datsyuk - Dadonov;
Gavrikov - Kiselevich, Grigorenko - Anisimov - Buchnevich;
Bereglazov - Yakovlev, Mamin - Andronov - Shalunov;
Tryamkin - Khafizullin, Byvaltsev - Kablukov - Mikheev;
Extra: Soshnikov, Barabanov.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Practice line-up today

This team needs at least Gusev, and the trio Ovi, Kuzi & Orlov as reinforcements, don't they?

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
Practice line-up today

What about Gusev ?

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Practice PP lines today

Khafizulin-Shalunov-Kaprizov-Datsyuk-Dadonov
Zaitsev-Nesterov-Grigorenko-Anisimov-Buchnevich

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Practice PP lines today

Khafizulin-Shalunov-Kaprizov-Datsyuk-Dadonov
Zaitsev-Nesterov-Grigorenko-Anisimov-Buchnevich

Kind of odd 1st PP line? There should be Zaitsev as right-handed Dman.

Khafizulin is in odd place lol.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I guess it should be even less surprising that Vorobyov is starting Koshechkin than when Znaroks did. Doesn't make it the right decision though. Koshechkin nearly lost Russia the Gold Medal in the Olympics with how bad he played.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I agree with most of the comments saying that the lineup is certainly not optimal. Some of these players don't have any serious experience on the international stage, for eg. Byvaltsev. The team doesn't seem to have any real 'leader', except Datsyuk. We'll see how things go. Once Gusev starts playing, the team will get a boost. In terms of the SKA and CSKA 'bias' in player selection, it's becoming somewhat apparent. Not sure what's behind it. If the team gets knocked out in the 1/4 finals, they better change something about the 'system'.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I agree with most of the comments saying that the lineup is certainly not optimal. Some of these players don't have any serious experience on the international stage, for eg. Byvaltsev. The team doesn't seem to have any real 'leader', except Datsyuk. We'll see how things go. Once Gusev starts playing, the team will get a boost. In terms of the SKA and CSKA 'bias' in player selection, it's becoming somewhat apparent. Not sure what's behind it. If the team gets knocked out in the 1/4 finals, they better change something about the 'system'.

Looking at the Group in which Russia is placed, the teams to compete with are Sweden, the Czechs and the Slovaks. It looks like Sweden will have about 17 NHL players, mostly top level, and they have to be favored to win the Group. To have a good chance to survive the Quarter Finals, it is important to beat the Czechs and the Slovaks to finish in 2nd place, which would match them against the 3rd place team from the other Group, likely the United States, in the QF. If they finish 3rd, then they would likely face either Canada or Finland in the QF. With this lineup, it is hard to see them surviving either of those matchups.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Looking at the Group in which Russia is placed, the teams to compete with are Sweden, the Czechs and the Slovaks. It looks like Sweden will have about 17 NHL players, mostly top level, and they have to be favored to win the Group. To have a good chance to survive the Quarter Finals, it is important to beat the Czechs and the Slovaks to finish in 2nd place, which would match them against the 3rd place team from the other Group, likely the United States, in the QF. If they finish 3rd, then they would likely face either Canada or Finland in the QF. With this lineup, it is hard to see them surviving either of those matchups.

Yeah, as mentioned earlier, if they reach the 1/2 final, one can say that they did "well enough". Winning the WC with this kind of line-up, coaching and system seems improbable.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad