WBS Penguins 2017-18 Season Thread: Pens out in first round, black aces are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
How does he look?
He's playing with great poise, skating really well and honestly he's looking better than Johnson who I thought would be our best offensive C. I know he has scored in every game so far but the best aspect of his game isn't even scoring, he's an even better playmaker. I'm thinking he makes the team next year or gets called up during the season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's playing with great poise, skating really well and honestly he's looking better than Johnson who I thought would be our best offensive C. I know he has scored in every game so far but the best aspect of his game isn't even scoring, he's an even better playmaker. I'm thinking he makes the team next year or gets called up during the season.

Hey, since you watch with some regularity, how has Sprong's play away from the puck, especially defensively looked. Everyone is thrilled about the scoring, but I think it's the play away from the puck that will dictate when he's first guy to be recalled in their eyes.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hey, since you watch with some regularity, how has Sprong's play away from the puck, especially defensively looked. Everyone is thrilled about the scoring, but I think it's the play away from the puck that will dictate when he's first guy to be recalled in their eyes.

Not that this says much, but he was held off scoreboard tonight and yet he was a +1. I think he's on the + side of the equation so far for the season

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

He's looked decent I'd say. I think there's still room for improvements but he doesn't look out of his element without the puck. I like that he always backchecks, gets in shooting lanes, but he does cheat from time to time. His high IQ allows him to do so. I don't know if he could get away with it at the NHL level but he is certainly making it work in WB. So overall I'd say he's more than fine. Could still improve though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's looked decent I'd say. I think there's still room for improvements but he doesn't look out of his element without the puck. I like that he always backchecks, gets in shooting lanes, but he does cheat from time to time. His high IQ allows him to do so. I don't know if he could get away with it at the NHL level but he is certainly making it work in WB. So overall I'd say he's more than fine. Could still improve though.

1. How much of that improvement can be realized in the minors?

2. I look at playing style and see a fit with Geno IF you've got a really responsible two way guy, preferably with some speed, on the left side (probably a pretty natural fit in terms of playing styles actually). Thoughts?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
1. How much of that improvement can be realized in the minors?

2. I look at playing style and see a fit with Geno IF you've got a really responsible two way guy, preferably with some speed, on the left side (probably a pretty natural fit in terms of playing styles actually). Thoughts?

1. I'd say most of it. He's already got the skillset, size and strength. All he needs is a couple tweaks, mosty positioning. He could be called up now if need be.

2. I agree with you. I think a line with Malkin and Rust/Hagelin would certainly work. I believe Sprong could replicate what Neal used to do with Geno. Geno would be the perfect playmaker for a guy like Sprong.

What I'm most excited to see is Sprong on the PP. Every time I see him he reminds of Ovechkin on that left side.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Our goalies each with 3 games played on the young season.

Jary, 1-2, with a 3.96 GAA, and a .883 save %

DeSmith, 3-0, with a 0.98 GAA, and a .965 save %

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
How has DiPauli been? I see he's passed his point total from last year already, which is good. :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah, that kind of throws a wrench in the works. Especially with Niemi looking like Spring 2012 Fleury.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm curious if getting rid of Bales was a smart move or not, Buckley is the guy and they have another new guy there, but man...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Bengtsson has 5 points in 6 games and he's tied for 2nd in team scoring. That's nice to see.

I'm curious if getting rid of Bales was a smart move or not, Buckley is the guy and they have another new guy there, but man...

Maybe it is but I think it's way too early to tell or, imo, get a hint about that. Niemi has a history, is acting as a backup for the first time in forever and gets the 2nd game in back to backs. As someone who thought he could be passable in the preseason, it's not exactly a surprise. Murray hasn't been at his best but in his 5 game win streak he's got a .924 sv% and 2.4 GAA while the team f***s around. Jarry has had a statistically rough start in 3 games but DeSmith has had a phenomenal start. Murray is the only one who's played more than 3 games and he's improved from his first start and the Chicago debacle that he shouldn't have played 50 minutes of.

Maybe you make an argument that if Niemi doesn't get a start then on merit DeSmith deserves to be the call up over Jarry.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Bengtsson has 5 points in 6 games and he's tied for 2nd in team scoring. That's nice to see.

Maybe it is but I think it's way too early to tell or, imo, get a hint about that. Niemi has a history, is acting as a backup for the first time in forever and gets the 2nd game in back to backs. As someone who thought he could be passable in the preseason, it's not exactly a surprise. Murray hasn't been at his best but in his 5 game win streak he's got a .924 sv% and 2.4 GAA while the team ****s around. Jarry has had a statistically rough start in 3 games but DeSmith has had a phenomenal start. Murray is the only one who's played more than 3 games and he's improved from his first start and the Chicago debacle that he shouldn't have played 50 minutes of.

Maybe you make an argument that if Niemi doesn't get a start then on merit DeSmith deserves to be the call up over Jarry.
Yeah, it's not about pedigree or the guy you wish was playing best, but who actually is, and if current trend continues here and in WBS, then you give DeSmith a shot, and let Jary find his game.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, it's not about pedigree or the guy you wish was playing best, but who actually is, and if current trend continues here and in WBS, then you give DeSmith a shot, and let Jary find his game.

Yeah, but it's harder to call when you're not actually watching them play. For all I know DeSmith has amazing luck and team defense in front of him while Jarry gets the WBS version of bad Pens. I assume DeSmith is outplaying Jarry and on a hot streak. If that holds until Niemi runs out of leash then I'd go with him... could be as soon as Rowney goes on ir or ltir if he does. 28th/29th

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Well Desmith made the all rookie AHL team last year, and his play earned him a contract. So he looks like he is continuing his good play.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm genuinely just happy for Bengtsson, it's been such a tough go for the guy with his lyme disease thing and now he has it under control and for the first time since forever, he's feeling like he's able to show the kind of player he really is without having anything mysterious holding him back.

I hope LB gets his taste of the NHL soon too.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Desmith may surprise some people. His stats every single year at all levels seem pretty dominant.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Then you got Niemi at 0-3 7.50GAA and .797% LMAO!!!!!!! I dunno what's worse...his GAA or his save% almost the same as his GAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->