WBS Penguins 2017-18 Season Thread: Pens out in first round, black aces are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The AHL scheduling is a POS! only play on the weekends? why are weekday games so hard to come by? WBS play tonight and tomorrow then nothing untill next weekend. :/

Reflection of attendance. If they could easily sell out the games, they'd have a similar schedule to the NHL. Easier to sell out a weekend game.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Looks like I was more right than the Pens FO when I suggested he should make the club from the start of the season. It's a waste letting him score in the A when he could be helping the big club out.

There's nothing about him in the A that's a waste. Proving yourself in the AHL when your parent club is already overflowing with capable NHLers is exactly what should happen.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
IMO the big club doesn't need Sprong at the moment, they need to get a system going. Once the rest of the team knows what they're doing they can get Sprong involved. At the moment we're too much of a mess.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sprong shouldn't spend more than say another month in the AHL, but him starting the year in the AHL really isn't a negative in any way. Worst case scenario is that he tears apart a league he's clearly overqualified for.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Gage Quinney with his 5th point already. Took him a game and a half. 1 goal 1 assist so far.

Sprong just added an assist on Quinney's goal. He's got 2 goals and an assist so far tonight.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sprong shouldn't spend more than say another month in the AHL, but him starting the year in the AHL really isn't a negative in any way. Worst case scenario is that he tears apart a league he's clearly overqualified for.

Move Sheary as part of the deal for 3C. 3C to center Hags-Kessel. Horny to L1 RW with Sid and Jake. Then, there's an opening on RW with Rust and Geno, the center who's style Sprong best complements.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Move Sheary as part of the deal for 3C. 3C to center Hags-Kessel. Horny to L1 RW with Sid and Jake. Then, there's an opening on RW with Rust and Geno, the center who's style Sprong best complements.

What kind of C do you think we could get with sheary?

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I like Sheary as trade bait too. If the plan is to trade a winger then he would be the best option for optimizing return and minimizing cost.

Can't believe how open Sprong was on that second goal. He could be a dangerous option on the PP down the road. Sprong Schultz Malkin firing squad.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't think that's necessary. I think you can add a 3C without trading anyone off the roster and then just have Hagelin or Sheary (ideally Hagelin) on the 4th line. You could run with something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-3C-Hornqvist
Hagelin-McKegg-Reaves

Sprong also got an assist tonight, he got an assist on Quinney's goal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Question for all: I haven't watched WBS. Obviously, Sprong is everything expected offensively. But, how has his play been without the puck? Forechecking? Transition defense? Positioning in the defensive zone?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Question for all: I haven't watched WBS. Obviously, Sprong is everything expected offensively. But, how has his play been without the puck? Forechecking? Transition defense? Positioning in the defensive zone?

Wouldn't that be like Jimmy Page asking Robert Plant; "How good are you on the Bass Guitar"?

LOL

To be honest, I haven't a clue to your question. I can only go by what I'm hearing and it sounds like Sprong is a constant threat on the ice.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Saw one game last week where he looked good. He's got good positioning and backchecks when needed. Obviously he's more focused on scoring, but he's pretty good without the puck. Can still improve defensively but it's not like he's a liability out there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Classic Sprong goal:

So that doesn't really sound new, he's still cheating offensively a little bit, but he's backchecking for sure.

God I wish the Pens had a 3C for Kessel because Sprong would be golden with Geno.

This is why I have always stated Sprong can be a LW.... he scores so much from the center to the left side.

Wonder if they'd try it, especially given the defensive concerns.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So Sprong leads AHL in points along with Danick Martel who's also got 7 goals and 3 assists but has 1 more game on Sprong. Dominate the scoresheet tomorrow and get a week off...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->