WBS Penguins 2017-18 Season Thread: Pens out in first round, black aces are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens need to focus on the latest additions and see what they can do. I think the Pens need to move on from some guys who have or don't have a future due to the lack of openings on the parent club.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Not sure if mentioned, but Olund has signed an ATO with WBS. In a corresponding move, Lafferty was released from his, so his season is presumably done..

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Pens need to focus on the latest additions and see what they can do. I think the Pens need to move on from some guys who have or don't have a future due to the lack of openings on the parent club.

TK is retiring. Sestito should probably be let go. But you do need some vets to keep.the team competitive which helps our prospects

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
TK seems to want to get into coaching, probably as an AHL assistant. I’d keep him and Forrest on the staff and find a head coach like Gulutzan or Arniel.

Wilson & Summers are signed through next season so they’ll have those vets returning. I kinda like Sestito though. He’s pretty effective by AHL standards and there have been a couple instances where some scrub took a run at one of our prospects and he went absolutely berserk on them. But yeah aside from a couple D, a couple forwards, and maybe the backup goalie the roster should ideally be all prospects, or at least guys 25 or under.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Clearly I need to go to bed. Just jumped to last post and did a double-take thinking yinz were talking about Tyler Kennedy. Definitely not my proudest moment.

Tyler Kennedy is doing personal coaching now in Cranberry/Wexford. He worked a little in group practices with kids in ADM where my daughter plays, and now there are signs up at the rink offering his personal 1-1 services.

“You get better, or you get your money back!”

My wife wants to sign my daughter up but I’m still mulling it over TBTH.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is next year going to be the worst WBS team we have seen in the Crosby era?

Maybe? I can't really do a great comparison but it doesn't read as that strong to me. Deep with the okay and useful and potentially interesting, but not many guys you'd point at and say "They'll make a difference in the AHL". But then, I'm sure the team will be looking to sign a few guys to fill the gaps.

I think the big question mark would be whether they get Jarry and whether he brings it regularly. A dialed in goaltender would go a long way to keeping WBS strong. Hope for some of the forwards to hit their ceilings and you're in business.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Guys like Blueger, Dea, Johnson, DiPauli, Pedan, Summers & Wilson will be returning with either Jarry or DeSmith in net. Then incoming rookies like Miletic, Angello, Olund, Lafferty.. And they always end up signing more vets than they need, they’ll probably be good like always.

Maybe give Quinney and Haggerty two-way NHL deals to round out the forwards, sign a handful of veteran D-men since the prospect cupboard is pretty bare there, a veteran goalie like Zatkoff or McKenna for a backup and they’re set.

There’s always UFAs in that 24-27 age range that’ll take a two-way deal in NA rather than go to Europe, and we have the selling point of easy AHL travel plus a short distance to Pittsburgh, and having the reputation of calling up whoever is most deserving regardless of whether they’re a prospect or a journeyman.

Summers probably gets the C from Kostopoulos.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Angello with 2 goals (the second G unassisted). Almari was a +3 to lead the team. Glad both those guys had the chance to get in there, and hoping they each get to go to Pittsburgh -- if not as actual Black Aces, at least to participate somehow.

With Angellos size...he could be someone to look forward to. Almari as well. We need a swede dman

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
When will the Black Aces squad be announced? Saw WBS is cleaning out lockers today, or maybe yesterday. ( I saw the post today, but did not check when it was posted.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->