Wayne Simmonds (Owen Sound Attack fans please respond)

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Kings picked him with the 61st pick. The team obviously knows this guy with the new scout from Owen Sound (Michael Futa) and from watching Trevor Lewis play. He is 6-1 162! He is really skinny but he said he will be in Los Angeles this summer working on gaining some weight. Does anyone have any info on him? Owen Sound fans?

He looks like he could be a real steal. He was playing a tier 2 league last year to save his college eligiblity and then he came to the OHL this year and was the real deal. McKeens had him as a sleeper.Simmonds recorded 49 points (23-26=49) and 112 penalty minutes in 66 regular season games with Owen Sound. Simmonds started the year on the 4th line and was bumped up to the 2nd as the year progressed. Simmonds really finished the regular season on a tear. Had 20 points (11 goals, 9 assists) in the last 12 games.

Attack fans like Simmonds a lot. Very few negative posts about him on the Attack message board. They say he is a good skater but he needs to improve his footwork. They say that once he puts on some weight he will be very scary for opposing defenders. Post by an Owen Sound fan -

SIMMONDS: I would like to see him go top 3 rounds but since he wasn't on the mid season draft report, I expect a team will try to "steal" him late, say 5th or 6th.

Here are some posts made after Simmonds was selected as OHL Player of the Week and before Michael Futa (former Attack GM) joined the Kings-

Congrats Wayne, well deserved.

I can't remember where I read that scouts are probably drooling over this kid but this is just more emphasis that he has been overlooked for many things, i.e. All-Star team, Prospects game, draft listings, etc.

Wayne has been a big part of why the team has been winning lately. He always worked hard but not with the points he is getting lately and it really gives the Attack some balance they never had after Bailey was traded.

Now think of this....put 30 pounds on this lean, mean, hockey machine....and if Futa is as smart as I think he is....you build the franchise around Simmonds.

m_d8d4eb1d067b9a53cc7781958a498ccd.jpg

waynesimmonds.jpg

Simmonds

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
i had never heard of the guy before until he netted a hat trick one night against the generals....seems like a solid all around player, I'd expect him to put up bigger numbers next year as he increases his role with the Attack, they'll most likely be one of the worst teams in the CHL....I definitely thought he would get drafted he just needs development.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Not an Owen Sound fan but an OHL fan. I love this guy's game. He wasn't overly impressive against the Knights in the playoffs but I think he is a great prospect. He's a good two-way player who could use some polishing but he's got a competitive desire and will always stick up for teammates and is pretty tough. He's pretty skinny and he's kinda got a funny looking stride but I think it's a good pick at 61.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
I went to elementary school with this guy and played against him basically my whole life except for this year. I posted thoughts on the Kings board.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
As a season ticket holder for the Attack, I was really surprised to see Simmonds go that high, but the kid is really good.

He's really skinny, has an awkward but effective stride, a fantastic shot, and loves to mix it up with guys (he destroyed this one poor fellow in a fight during the pre-season). If he gets heavier, he has a chance, because he has all of the skills and what not. He wasn't used much in Owen Sound because if Stothers had his way he'd have 2 lines the whole game (and I'm serious here too), so often Simmonds was left without a chair, but he made the most of his opportunities.

About time Futa did something decent for a hockey team outside of Lewis.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
As a season ticket holder for the Attack, I was really surprised to see Simmonds go that high, but the kid is really good.

He's really skinny, has an awkward but effective stride, a fantastic shot, and loves to mix it up with guys (he destroyed this one poor fellow in a fight during the pre-season). If he gets heavier, he has a chance, because he has all of the skills and what not. He wasn't used much in Owen Sound because if Stothers had his way he'd have 2 lines the whole game (and I'm serious here too), so often Simmonds was left without a chair, but he made the most of his opportunities.

About time Futa did something decent for a hockey team outside of Lewis.

Thanks for the info.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->