OT: Watcha reading?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I just finished Equal Rites, one of the Discworld books by Sir Terry Pratchett.

One passage in particular stood out, I think @HankAnger will appreciate it.

Fury rose like bile. She turned and set out after the noise, fighting the seductive forces that kept telling her how nice it would be just to relax her grip on her mind and sink into a warm sea of nothingness. Being angry, that was the thing. She knew it was most important to stay really angry.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Just about to finish up a sci fi trilogy (The Bobiverse) by Dennis E. Taylor. "We Are Legion", "For We Are Many", and "All These Worlds". I read on kindle, so I'm not sure if it's available other than digital. It is some of the best sci fi I have read in a really long time. Very enjoyable and not the formulaic stuff that is constantly put out. Some really funny stuff in it too.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm reading The adventures of Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin: A Carolina Hurricanes tale of two 5th overall picks.

It has a promising beginning but by the time you get to the middle it starts to lose interest, then the ending is just disappointing. I think the author could have done better.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I'm reading The adventures of Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin: A Carolina Hurricanes tale of two 5th overall picks.

It has a promising beginning but by the time you get to the middle it starts to lose interest, then the ending is just disappointing. I think the author could have done better.

You should try Charlotte's Web.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
"Big Machine" by Victor LaValle. I am about 1/2 way through the novel. It is part detective story, all social commentary. It is the first book I have read by LaValle. He has a unique style, both literary and street-smart. Definitely recommended.

ManiacCaniac

Nov 7, 2005
At the moment, I'm reading Seabiscuit. It's the true account of the great race horse of the 1930's.

For those of you in the Raleigh area, there is a great used book store on Hillsborough Street between NC State and Meredith. In front is a wall of books at 10 cents each. I can get a month of good reading for 50 cents. Can't beat it for cheap entertainment.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
also I'm reading a book called A Certain Loneliness, a memoir by a writer who shares my experience of living with the effects of polio, which she contracted during the 1950s epidemic, and I contracted from the Sabin oral vaccine in 1980. it's honestly eerie to learn of all the small experiences, challenges, and sensations that she and I share. I'm very accustomed to having that sort of stuff all to myself. I still haven't figured out exactly how I feel about experiencing it in book form.

ManiacCaniac

Nov 7, 2005
Yes, it's Readers Corner. The high $ books are inside, the cheap ones are out front. There are two sets of book racks; the books to the left of the entrance are a quarter each and those to the right are a dime. There must be 50-60 running feet of shelving with hundreds or maybe thousands of books of EVERY category. They're under an awning and are never taken inside. You can drop by at 0200 and make your selection, then drop the change in the honor box. Best deal ever.:)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yes, it's Readers Corner. The high $ books are inside, the cheap ones are out front. There are two sets of book racks; the books to the left of the entrance are a quarter each and those to the right are a dime. There must be 50-60 running feet of shelving with hundreds or maybe thousands of books of EVERY category. They're under an awning and are never taken inside. You can drop by at 0200 and make your selection, then drop the change in the honor box. Best deal ever.:)

4adc5f5c-a914-488a-a29f-8c3fe5c0ee6a.jpeg

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
House of Leaves

I’ve heard it’s a good horror novel. I’ve only read the forward and first chapter, but I can already tell this will probably be the most difficult book I’ve ever read.

Reactions: Identity404

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Used to live in the Wilmont back in the day, and basically lived my whole life walking the triangle between Nice Price and Readers Corner and Cup A Joe.

Just finished reading Baracoon by Zora Neale Hurston. It's the story of the last living surviving slave brought from Africa to the United States. Powerful stuff.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Counter-counter point: If you read faster, or if you just renew your loan if you need more time, you don't have to pay fees. Our local library lets you renew online so you don't even have to go back in.
I thought I did renewed the books I got online, but one book apparently escaped my attention whilst doing it.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Just about to finish up a sci fi trilogy (The Bobiverse) by Dennis E. Taylor. "We Are Legion", "For We Are Many", and "All These Worlds". I read on kindle, so I'm not sure if it's available other than digital. It is some of the best sci fi I have read in a really long time. Very enjoyable and not the formulaic stuff that is constantly put out. Some really funny stuff in it too.

I enjoyed the first book most...the second book was OK...and was disappointed in the third. He wrapped up the story, but it became less Sci-fi and more drama.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I enjoyed the first book most...the second book was OK...and was disappointed in the third. He wrapped up the story, but it became less Sci-fi and more drama.

I loved the way the Bobs embraced their geekness. I thought the premise was fresh. He's doing a 4th book, "The Search for Bender" or something like that. There are so many directions he could take the story. I obviously enjoyed it more than you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad