OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That QOTSA album is awesome, a few really good songs on there. Definitely give the Districts a shot. May take a bit to feel it out but it's fantastic. They're a bunch of young guys from Lititz too, so basically local boys.

Not a fan of that Arcade Fire album at all. Listened like once or twice and haven't been back since.

I just listened to the new Districts album. It's fantastic!

Reactions: TroutHockey

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Listening to The Bronx album now. Nice to hear legit punk still being made.

Hell yea dude! If you're into it I'd suggest checking out their entire discography. Probably my favorite punk band ever. Unbelievable live too. Playing the church in Philly October 6th I think.

Believe it or not, they also have a mariachi band called Mariachi El Bronx. It is actual legit mariachi music. Total opposite end of the spectrum from the Bronx, but awesome in it's own right.

Reactions: Rebels57

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
The album I listened to would qualify based on my definition of legit punk (not pop-punk/emo/etc). Maybe yours differs?

My bad... Thought you were talking about The Horrors.

Still, I'd say that there is a ton of good punk music that's out, and it's incredibly eclectic; just have to look for it. Most innovators in music nowadays are either off label or on smaller labels.

To be an annoying contrarian, I'll say that indie mainstream is pretty trash. Mostly soulless, watered down revival garbage. Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Tame Impala, et al sound just like the Beatles or the Beach Boys. It's old music that's just been updated for the next Target commercial.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I’ve been rocking a lot of Nick Cave, Tom Waits and Murder By Death, heavy on Cave’s Murder Ballads album, some Alabama Shakes sprinkled in there and ZZ Top is always on as well, pre ‘78 ZZ Top, afternoon and drive home is a playlist consisting of Bison BC, The Sword, Mastodon, Black Tusk, and Red Fang, and I’m thoroughly impressed with Unleash The Archers newest Apex

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’ve been rocking a lot of Nick Cave, Tom Waits and Murder By Death, heavy on Cave’s Murder Ballads album, some Alabama Shakes sprinkled in there and ZZ Top is always on as well, pre ‘78 ZZ Top, afternoon and drive home is a playlist consisting of Bison BC, The Sword, Mastodon, Black Tusk, and Red Fang, and I’m thoroughly impressed with Unleash The Archers newest Apex

Saw Alabama Shakes live back in 2015. They were sensational. Her voice was as big as a mountain.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

I saw Murder by Death live once due to a band I enjoy opening for them. Their fans were the most boring, insufferable group I've ever had the displeasure of attending a concert with. I ended up leaving early. I can't really comment on the music as I've never listened to them.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I saw Murder by Death live once due to a band I enjoy opening for them. Their fans were the most boring, insufferable group I've ever had the displeasure of attending a concert with. I ended up leaving early. I can't really comment on the music as I've never listened to them.

I've never known what to do with myself at concerts and just get really self-conscious. It's stupid, but it's just the tip of the iceberg. To me, music is like eating - it is to be done in the privacy of your own home, where no one can see you go hog wild.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Boo. No fun.

Concerts are the place to let loose and have some fun.

I know, bud, it's really stupid. I tried (and totally succeeded) getting super shwasted before an REM show in like 1991, but I was a ****ing mess, couldn't stand straight, couldn't think, couldn't stop trying to find more drinks. And the damndest thing was that I could hear perfectly and they were just awful that night.

Reactions: CodyTheHuman

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

My cousin showed me these guys about a month ago, these are probably my favourite songs of them.

I've seen them criticized for sounding like Zeppelin, which seems like a deeply stupid criticism.

"Bah! You compose like Beethoven! Copycat!"

"Bah! You play guitar like Hendrix! Loser!"

Macleish 1974

Sep 28, 2017
Post-Post Garage: Dead Ghosts Post Garage: Dream Syndicate Garage: Back FromThe Grave series
Also Muddy Waters , Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, and of course the Rolling Stones;
Saw the Rolling Stones 3 times in the 1960's, opening act was BB King on the '69 tour in Philly; a week later was Altamont. Also saw the Yardbirds 3 times as well. Jeff Beck twice and Jimmy Page once.
The original guitarist was Eric Claption of the group.

Cool question: who was a regular at Tony Mart's place or The Dunes till Dawn [ opened at 3am to dawn] in Somers Point, in the late 60s early 70s? And if you did not get lucky ;-)), ate at the Circle diner with all the other losers on a Saturday or Sunday morning......;-)). Best house band at Tony Mart was Mace. Best house band in Avalon was Sky Band.

Last edited:

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'm still tinkering with my Spotify Halloween channel. I so love that John Carpenter has decided to start making albums instead of just movies. He still has the sound that he had back in the day too!

And just over a month until my Gary Numan show!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->