Mar 1, 2002
LI
We should start a board shot for every NYR goal
NYR score, do a shot and post..Cheers! Lol

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
The timing of this thread could not be worse. I’m about to run a 45 day clean bulk and I decided to cut alcohol entirely for the duration. Today is day one since I’m back to work tonight after spending Monday/Tuesday in Dallas to catch the Rangers game (and have a final huge cheat meal).

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Man I'm usually a beer drinker. I like burbon and whiskey for sure . My favorite is Jack. Any kind but usually single Barrell. But when out regular. Had me some Corona premium. Best Corona I ever had .taste like I'm on vacation . I m a Budweiser guy

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

member 116805

Stopped drinking beer a couple of weeks ago. Now im on the white wine, and started going to the gym again.
Turned 40 this week, midlife crisis engaged.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Yeah bourbon, scotch whiskey, good to go if I'm sipping for awhile. But beer it's Budweiser. I live 20 minutes from a packaging plant so it's always fresh. Always loved Jack no matter the kind. Dabbeled in Dewar's makers mark Jim beam bullets etc etc. But most of my friends drink beer. So beer it is

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I'm a simple primate. I take whatever is available, even if it requires an explosive rush through hot sand on the beach.

Midlife crisis you say? A crisis of age? Meh, we're totally f***ed as a society and with our foundations of systematical thinking, that's my crisis and that is heavy.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I’m about to head out for a couple of high abv brews at my local hangout to blow off some steam with the couple of local hockey fans I know from base. Then I’ll continue with some bourbon at home.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I used to drink more, not alcoholic binge-level, but a fair amount where at one point as I was getting older I just decided to slow my roll. Same with sugary drinks, or unhealthy snacks etc.

Anyway, point is, when I do drink I go for quality over quantity. I care about what I'm drinking. So this isn't me posting snobbery, it's me posting things I like. I can still hang out in a backyard BBQ and drink a bunch of Coors or Buds or whatever, but it's not what I'm going to go for when I do feel like having some booze since it mostly doesn't taste like much of anything, to me.

Yes, I drink craft beers. But I'm not much of a beer guy anymore because Quebec doesn't come close to offering the goodness I can get when I visit friends and family back in NY, NJ, PA. I bring cases back up with me sometimes but once they're gone I kinda just stop beer for a bit. I do like some of the sours produced here in the Summer. There are a few good IPAs that aren't too aggressively hoppy. I love a good NEIPA from VT like Heady Topper or Sip of Sunshine. I like Ballast Point Sculpin Grapefruit, and the Dorado. Troegs has some great stuff. Still enjoy Dogfish Head. For a casual sipper, like I said, I'll take what's there but if I'm buying I'll try to get something like Urquell (an affordable Pilsner) or a Stella or whatever. I did drink a Grolsch tonight.

Mostly I'm a Gin or Bourbon guy. I *can* do the standard Tanqueray/Bombay with a can of Canada Dry or whatever, but once you experience real G&Ts, it's hard to go back. So I mostly use better tonics. Fever Tree is decent. Fentiman's is, to me, the best pre-bottled. Overall I prefer using the syrups (mix X amount of tonic syrup with X amount of club soda/carbonated water) and my go-to there is Jack Rudy syrup with Gerolsteiner Sparkling mineral water. Sounds fancy but really isn't and isn't hard to find. Otherwise I'll add a dash of lime cordial or Crème de Violette, or Elderflower (St-Germain, or the ultimate cheap trick of just buying the $5 Ikea non-alcoholic syrup) to make it interesting for base gins/tonics.

My favorite gins vary, I run a rotation depending on what's available locally (in Quebec it's all controlled through the government SAQ, in Ontario through the LCBO) or what I've brought back from the US. Right now I'm loving Dillon's Unfiltered 22. Four Pillars Rare (Australian) is great. Oxley. Distillery 209. Quebec makes good gin. St-Laurent is fantastic if you appreciate more spice. Hard to explain unless you know gin, but they vary SO much from one to the next.

Bourbons I can do the basic, mix it with coke (coke zero now!) or even cherry coke. For that I just use whatever's decent and cheap here. Usually that'll be Canadian Club's Rye or their 12 year old classic.

If I'm sipping straight I like Basil Hayden's, Sazerac Rye, Dad's Hat Rye, or Blanton's. Four Roses as well. Can't get all of those here, though I can get some in Ontario.

I used to be more into Scotch, single malts. Specifically from Islay, so the smokey/peaty stuff. Ardbeg, Lagavulin etc. The best I've had personally was either Ardbeg Uigeadail, Lagavulin 16, or Laphroaig 18. I had a decent "collection" for a while, but now it's just one bottle usually with a variety of bourbons and ryes, and then 4-5 gins. Plus all the various mixers needed to make things for myself when I feel like it or guests. I have some decent Tequilas, Rums, Vodkas... but I don't touch them often. And then some fun liqueurs etc. Decent bar. I try to have most things so I can cater to all but the fussiest of guests!

edit: And beer just makes me pee so much that it's annoying. So unless we're in a backyard of friends or family or our own... if I'm out somewhere on a patio, forget that. I don't wanna have to go the bathroom constantly. In that scenario I'll have maybe ONE beer and then switch to Gin Tonic, Old Fashioned, Negroni, or Tom Collins etc.

I do love black velvets though, I make those periodically. Will drink Prosecco/white wine with my gf, or partake in her fruity Summer stuff. Malibu with pineapple, etc. We have some pretty awesome Summer cocktails actually. Red wine with nice dinners involving meat, otherwise not really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gino Odjick

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Tried New Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA at the bar the other night. Thought it was pretty decent

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Had a couple of Trojan Horse barleywines clocking in at 13.5% and a cedar creek IPA. Heading home to drink bourbon and cry about the bygone era.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
How are barleywines? I've seen them mentioned a lot, but never had the chance to try one

I like them. Some are too yeasty but aside from those few I like them a lot. Like a beer whiskey hybrid. Carbonated, not as alcoholic. Some of the toastiness of a brown ale with the boozy sweetness of whiskey. I don’t drink them a lot but I tend to like them.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I used to drink more, not alcoholic binge-level, but a fair amount where at one point as I was getting older I just decided to slow my roll. Same with sugary drinks, or unhealthy snacks etc.

Anyway, point is, when I do drink I go for quality over quantity. I care about what I'm drinking. So this isn't me posting snobbery, it's me posting things I like. I can still hang out in a backyard BBQ and drink a bunch of Coors or Buds or whatever, but it's not what I'm going to go for when I do feel like having some booze since it mostly doesn't taste like much of anything, to me.

Yes, I drink craft beers. But I'm not much of a beer guy anymore because Quebec doesn't come close to offering the goodness I can get when I visit friends and family back in NY, NJ, PA. I bring cases back up with me sometimes but once they're gone I kinda just stop beer for a bit. I do like some of the sours produced here in the Summer. There are a few good IPAs that aren't too aggressively hoppy. I love a good NEIPA from VT like Heady Topper or Sip of Sunshine. I like Ballast Point Sculpin Grapefruit, and the Dorado. Troegs has some great stuff. Still enjoy Dogfish Head. For a casual sipper, like I said, I'll take what's there but if I'm buying I'll try to get something like Urquell (an affordable Pilsner) or a Stella or whatever. I did drink a Grolsch tonight.

Mostly I'm a Gin or Bourbon guy. I *can* do the standard Tanqueray/Bombay with a can of Canada Dry or whatever, but once you experience real G&Ts, it's hard to go back. So I mostly use better tonics. Fever Tree is decent. Fentiman's is, to me, the best pre-bottled. Overall I prefer using the syrups (mix X amount of tonic syrup with X amount of club soda/carbonated water) and my go-to there is Jack Rudy syrup with Gerolsteiner Sparkling mineral water. Sounds fancy but really isn't and isn't hard to find. Otherwise I'll add a dash of lime cordial or Crème de Violette, or Elderflower (St-Germain, or the ultimate cheap trick of just buying the $5 Ikea non-alcoholic syrup) to make it interesting for base gins/tonics.

My favorite gins vary, I run a rotation depending on what's available locally (in Quebec it's all controlled through the government SAQ, in Ontario through the LCBO) or what I've brought back from the US. Right now I'm loving Dillon's Unfiltered 22. Four Pillars Rare (Australian) is great. Oxley. Distillery 209. Quebec makes good gin. St-Laurent is fantastic if you appreciate more spice. Hard to explain unless you know gin, but they vary SO much from one to the next.

Bourbons I can do the basic, mix it with coke (coke zero now!) or even cherry coke. For that I just use whatever's decent and cheap here. Usually that'll be Canadian Club's Rye or their 12 year old classic.

If I'm sipping straight I like Basil Hayden's, Sazerac Rye, Dad's Hat Rye, or Blanton's. Four Roses as well. Can't get all of those here, though I can get some in Ontario.

I used to be more into Scotch, single malts. Specifically from Islay, so the smokey/peaty stuff. Ardbeg, Lagavulin etc. The best I've had personally was either Ardbeg Uigeadail, Lagavulin 16, or Laphroaig 18. I had a decent "collection" for a while, but now it's just one bottle usually with a variety of bourbons and ryes, and then 4-5 gins. Plus all the various mixers needed to make things for myself when I feel like it or guests. I have some decent Tequilas, Rums, Vodkas... but I don't touch them often. And then some fun liqueurs etc. Decent bar. I try to have most things so I can cater to all but the fussiest of guests!

edit: And beer just makes me pee so much that it's annoying. So unless we're in a backyard of friends or family or our own... if I'm out somewhere on a patio, forget that. I don't wanna have to go the bathroom constantly. In that scenario I'll have maybe ONE beer and then switch to Gin Tonic, Old Fashioned, Negroni, or Tom Collins etc.

I do love black velvets though, I make those periodically. Will drink Prosecco/white wine with my gf, or partake in her fruity Summer stuff. Malibu with pineapple, etc. We have some pretty awesome Summer cocktails actually. Red wine with nice dinners involving meat, otherwise not really.

I like this post. Agreed with almost every word except for the G&T because I’m just a whiskey guy. But the overall outlook.

So I mentioned earlier I went to my local craft hangout and had a couple of heavy hitting barleywines. Came home and got into the barrel proof bourbon and started watching some McDonagh highlights, which led me to some older highlights of Dubi, Cally, Gaborik... even Prucha, Kotalik, Drury. Now I’m sitting in my favorite armchair watching highlights with my Girardi jersey on, working on finishing what’s left of this bottle and reminiscing a really good decade of Rangers hockey. Got ugly here the last year and a half-ish but we had it pretty darn good for a while. No Cup sadly, but I had a lot of fun. Especially when I still lived in New York and got to go to the Garden regularly. The one damn thing I don’t like about the military, not being able to live where you want.

Love this team, although I’ve had my moments over the last few seasons where I lost interest and dedicated more focus to the league in general. I think it was partially just seeing the writing on the wall and being ready for this rebuild a year or two before it happened. There’s a strange sense of satisfaction now that it has begun. It was necessary. A bitter sweet end to one period but a bright hope for another. Gonna watch some Howden, Chytil, Lias and Libor clips while I finish this bourbon and look forward to the future. I’ve watched enough Shestyorkin clips already; can’t bring myself to watch him right now and think about the day Hank isn’t in net any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->