OT: Watcha Drinkin'?: Part I

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
If you like KBS try and find some Epic Big Bad Baptist. It’s cheaper and in my opinion just as good.

Be careful with their Baptista variant this year if you find any. They had a small infected batch make it out by mistake.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
If you like KBS try and find some Epic Big Bad Baptist. It’s cheaper and in my opinion just as good.

Be careful with their Baptista variant this year if you find any. They had a small infected batch make it out by mistake.

I do like KBS a lot but I’m no loyalist/snob for certain breweries. I love trying new brews so I’ll keep an eye out for this one. I don’t believe KBS is any kind of holy grail but I love a good, pitch black barrel aged stout.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Here's where I'm at tonight.
100 proof is more than adequate for my needs.
Super smooth
Happy Monday ;)

Attachments

• 20180205_151255.jpg
    20180205_151255.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 5

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Now you guys are talking my language. And thanks for the tips on Burbons. I've been thinking of trying a few and the perspectives help. I fully agree with higher proof equaling better flavor and here's why...

Current rotation:
Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 2016 D.E., Glenlivet 16yr French Oak.

In my near future if my buddy with the military ID comes through:
Ardbeg Uigeadail, Balvenie Double Wood, and Highland Park 12

Gotta say, Ardbeg 10 is my go-to scotch, I can't stop buying this stuff and the 2017 bottlings have been excellent. Have bought a couple Highland Park bottles. Laphroaig is okay, I prefer the Ardbeg more, I think it has more hidden flavors once you get accustomed to the Peat and Smoke plus I prefer the mouth feel, but, that wouldn't stop me from buying more Laphroaig if the price is right. Started out with blends years ago, moved up to Singles a little over a year ago and haven't looked back.

As for beers. Two Roads Road 2 Ruin DIPA is my favorite. Lagunitas when I'm looking for a 12pk or something to bring to a party. Dogfish 90min is good too but I find it can vary in quality sometimes. Ommegang Abby Dubble is fabulous and the New Belgium mixer pack that was out in December was awesome with the dubble, tripel, and sour. I've been know to hit up Sierra Nevada as well and Yuengling black & tan when I'm a little tight in the wallet.

I don't go out of my way to buy Stouts, but if they are in a mix pack I will chose them over the lighter stuff once I polish of the IPA's, and I do like Keegan Ale's stout offerings.

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I do like KBS a lot but I’m no loyalist/snob for certain breweries. I love trying new brews so I’ll keep an eye out for this one. I don’t believe KBS is any kind of holy grail but I love a good, pitch black barrel aged stout.

If you like the motor oil then I highly recommend oskar blues ten fidy. The barrel aged versions are tougher to find but just regular ten fidy is a classic.

Also recommend
Cigar city marshal Zhukov
Deschutes abyss
Sierra Nevada narwhal (super underrated)
Foothills BA peoples Porter or stout. They use buffalo trace barrels and occasionally pappy gets sent to them as a gift.
Evil twin even more Jesus
Prairie bomb
Goose island bourbon county (AB InBev hasn’t messed with it yet)
Firestone Walker parabola

On the bourbon side. Big buffalo trace fan and old forester birthday bourbon when I can find it.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I'm definitely a "I like what I like" kind of guy. Big into

Witbiers/White Ales/Wheat Beers/Hefeweizens:

Allagash White
Celis White
Hoegaarden White
Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat
Einstok Icelandic White
Schneider-Weisse
Paulaner Hefe-weizen
Franziskaner Hefe-weizen
Weihenstephaner Hefe-weissbier
Hofbrau Munchen Hefe-weizen

Pilsners

Jever
Wiseacre Tiny Bomb
Pilsner Urquell Nefiltrovany
Budejovicky Budvar Czechvar

and Red Zins - specifically out of Lodi, CA

Plungerhead
Cigar
Predator
Zen of Zin (fantastic considering it's $8/bottle)

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
If you like the motor oil then I highly recommend oskar blues ten fidy. The barrel aged versions are tougher to find but just regular ten fidy is a classic.

Also recommend
Cigar city marshal Zhukov
Deschutes abyss
Sierra Nevada narwhal (super underrated)
Foothills BA peoples Porter or stout. They use buffalo trace barrels and occasionally pappy gets sent to them as a gift.
Evil twin even more Jesus
Prairie bomb
Goose island bourbon county (AB InBev hasn’t messed with it yet)
Firestone Walker parabola

On the bourbon side. Big buffalo trace fan and old forester birthday bourbon when I can find it.

I’ve had the ten fiddy and the barrel aged Oskar blues, as well as the bourbon county varieties, parabola and prairie’s bomb/Xmas bomb, etc. I’ll keep an eye out for the others.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Now you guys are talking my language. And thanks for the tips on Burbons. I've been thinking of trying a few and the perspectives help. I fully agree with higher proof equaling better flavor and here's why...

Current rotation:

Gotta say, Ardbeg 10 is my go-to scotch, I can't stop buying this stuff and the 2017 bottlings have been excellent. Have bought a couple Highland Park bottles. Laphroaig is okay, I prefer the Ardbeg more, I think it has more hidden flavors once you get accustomed to the Peat and Smoke plus I prefer the mouth feel, but, that wouldn't stop me from buying more Laphroaig if the price is right. Started out with blends years ago, moved up to Singles a little over a year ago and haven't looked back.

First time I ever tasted Ardbeg 10 might be the single most eye opening and memorable drinking experience I've had in maybe forever. Looking forward opening my Uigeadail and Corryvreckan.

Reactions: x BEUKEBOOM x

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

Current rotation:

As for beers. Two Roads Road 2 Ruin DIPA is my favorite. Lagunitas when I'm looking for a 12pk or something to bring to a party. Dogfish 90min is good too but I find it can vary in quality sometimes. Ommegang Abby Dubble is fabulous and the New Belgium mixer pack that was out in December was awesome with the dubble, tripel, and sour. I've been know to hit up Sierra Nevada as well and Yuengling black & tan when I'm a little tight in the wallet.

I don't go out of my way to buy Stouts, but if they are in a mix pack I will chose them over the lighter stuff once I polish of the IPA's, and I do like Keegan Ale's stout offerings.

I’ve really moved on a bit from the scotches since I dipped into the higher proof bourbons but I have to agree with you on the peat and smoke and growing accustomed to it. Once you acclimate there’s just more flavor and complexity to single malts. I personally find it’s the same with higher proof bourbon. Much more of the wood comes through since it isn’t distilled down with water. But just my personal preference.

Reactions: x BEUKEBOOM x

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don’t care what distinction they want to make. Jack is a variation of bourbon, so feel at home in all this talk!

You know what? Despite how much I love bourbon, I HATE scotch.

Cheap bourbon>Cheap Scotch

Mid range Bourbon=Mid range Scotch

Expensive Scotch>Expensive Bourbon

I put mid priced things like Maker's Mark and Johnnie Black pretty evenly, although very different. Cheap scotch tastes like rust and has nothing on a simple bottle of Evan Williams. But I had a few drinks of Macallans 18 on a trip once and have never had anything quite like it since. So it may be that you're just having shit scotch like passport and smuggler.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I put mid priced things like Maker's Mark and Johnnie Black pretty evenly, although very different. Cheap scotch tastes like rust and has nothing on a simple bottle of Evan Williams. But I had a few drinks of Macallans 18 on a trip once and have never had anything quite like it since. So it may be that you're just having **** scotch like passport and smuggler.

I was drinking scotch for the first time in a while the other night. It was Glenfiddich 12. Hated it.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I was drinking scotch for the first time in a while the other night. It was Glenfiddich 12. Hated it.

Glenfiddich is like the Sam Adams of single malts. Popular because it's readily availabe and they pour tons of money into marketing. I'd put them at the bottom of the high end single malt range with glenmorangie. Slightly better than middle level stuff. A company more concerned with quantity than quality.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Glenfiddich is like the Sam Adams of single malts. Popular because it's readily availabe and they pour tons of money into marketing. I'd put them at the bottom of the high end single malt range with glenmorangie. Slightly better than middle level stuff.

More than likely I’d grow to like it if I drank it a lot. Pretty much what happened to me with bourbon. This was way before the bourbon craze started.

But given that I can just drink bourbon, I don’t think the scotch thing will happen.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

I put mid priced things like Maker's Mark and Johnnie Black pretty evenly, although very different. Cheap scotch tastes like rust and has nothing on a simple bottle of Evan Williams. But I had a few drinks of Macallans 18 on a trip once and have never had anything quite like it since. So it may be that you're just having **** scotch like passport and smuggler.

I don’t know if I agree. I inherited a bottle of Johnny Walker blue King George when my grandpa passed but I prefer a solid $70 bottle of bourbon to the JW Blue, Mac 18, Balvenie 16, Glen 16 and all of the other high end scotch I’ve had. Scotch has some great depth of flavor, and I appreciate scotch but I personally prefer good bourbon over exquisite scotch.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don’t know if I agree. I inherited a bottle of Johnny Walker blue King George when my grandpa passed but I prefer a solid $70 bottle of bourbon to the JW Blue, Mac 18, Balvenie 16, Glen 16 and all of the other high end scotch I’ve had. Scotch has some great depth of flavor, and I appreciate scotch but I personally prefer good bourbon over exquisite scotch.

JW Blue just doesn't taste very good to me at all. In fact I would rather drink Buffalo Trace to any batch in the JW line. They're really not that good tasting too me, my opinion.

I will say that the Dalmore King Alexander III I mentioned earlier is amazing and would stand up to the Pepsi challenge against pretty much anything I have tried, it's fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad