OT: Watcha Drinkin'?: Part I

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I’m here for the whiskey talk...

I was a scotch drinker for several years, though I never cared for blends. I’d rather drink Glenlivet than a JW. I rarely drank anything other than Balvenie doublewood though. When I got stationed in TX a few years ago I had a superior who was a big bourbon drinker and ridiculed me for being a snob and preferring scotch. I couldn’t ever really get into bourbon at 80 proof. I drank it plenty but it just didn’t really do anything for me that I would stock it over scotch for the house. Then I started getting acquainted with some 100-107 proof ryes and they started to turn me. Pikesville Rye, which is either 100 or 110 proof is one of my absolute favorite whiskeys to this day. Now, however, I pretty much only drink barrel strength, which is typically 130-140 proof, so I like my bourbon at about 65% alcohol. Everything else tastes watered down now, regardless of how fine a bottle it is. There’s something about the intense heat and body warm of a seriously strong whiskey that can’t be beat.
Balvenie cask strength is amazing.

When I go to Scotland I bring it back w me.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Where can I find this 140 proof bourbon I am hearing of? I love the 120 Knob Creek but 140?

Bulleit makes a 137.6 barrel strength. It’s usually around $55. Bookers makes a barrel strength that comes in around 139 proof, anywhere from $60-80 when I see it. Jack Daniels makes a barrel proof that’s about $55 but I think it’s the worst of the bunch. It’s 134 proof. Elijah Craig barrel proof is like 139.8 and is the best if you can find it, IMO.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I’m here for the whiskey talk...

I was a scotch drinker for several years, though I never cared for blends. I’d rather drink Glenlivet than a JW. I rarely drank anything other than Balvenie doublewood though. When I got stationed in TX a few years ago I had a superior who was a big bourbon drinker and ridiculed me for being a snob and preferring scotch. I couldn’t ever really get into bourbon at 80 proof. I drank it plenty but it just didn’t really do anything for me that I would stock it over scotch for the house. Then I started getting acquainted with some 100-107 proof ryes and they started to turn me. Pikesville Rye, which is either 100 or 110 proof is one of my absolute favorite whiskeys to this day. Now, however, I pretty much only drink barrel strength, which is typically 130-140 proof, so I like my bourbon at about 65% alcohol. Everything else tastes watered down now, regardless of how fine a bottle it is. There’s something about the intense heat and body warm of a seriously strong whiskey that can’t be beat.

I've heard good things about Pikesville but haven't tried it yet. I agree with the enjoying the high octane stuff. I'm a fan of Blanton's Straight from the Barrel, my current bottle is 64.9%. Weirdly enough, while it's made in Kentucky you have to import the stuff. One of these days maybe I'll be able to track down a bottle of George T. Stagg...would love to try that bruiser.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I've heard good things about Pikesville but haven't tried it yet. I agree with the enjoying the high octane stuff. I'm a fan of Blanton's Straight from the Barrel, my current bottle is 64.9%. Weirdly enough, while it's made in Kentucky you have to import the stuff. One of these days maybe I'll be able to track down a bottle of George T. Stagg...would love to try that bruiser.

I’ve had Blanton’s only once. Coworker brought me a small flask from his bottle. Enjoyed it a lot. I think the Elijah Craig barrel strength is the unicorn for me right now, but I am with you. The high octane whiskey is really the only way to sip now.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Bulleit makes a 137.6 barrel strength. It’s usually around $55. Bookers makes a barrel strength that comes in around 139 proof, anywhere from $60-80 when I see it. Jack Daniels makes a barrel proof that’s about $55 but I think it’s the worst of the bunch. It’s 134 proof. Elijah Craig barrel proof is like 139.8 and is the best if you can find it, IMO.
Have to find it. Tnx

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I’ve had Blanton’s only once. Coworker brought me a small flask from his bottle. Enjoyed it a lot. I think the Elijah Craig barrel strength is the unicorn for me right now, but I am with you. The high octane whiskey is really the only way to sip now.

The ECBP is quite tasty. I gifted a bottle to my cousin on a special occasion but he gave me a few ounces. Maybe we should get a NYR Whiskey swap going at some point. I've got 1 and 2 oz boston rounds. :)

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Yeah, the alcohol content really isn’t what makes for good bourbon.

I’ve had high proof bourbons. Lots of them and enjoy them. Still like Makers Mark better.
Makers is my regular but I like to try the higher power once in a while. Place near me now has airplane size Makers. Haven't seen it anywhere else.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Yeah, the alcohol content really isn’t what makes for good bourbon.

I’ve had high proof bourbons. Lots of them and enjoy them. Still like Makers Mark better.

I’m not saying that the higher alcohol content automatically makes the bourbon good. But my favorites are all barrel strength varieties. I enjoy that Pikesville Rye (100 proof?) immensely and at $47 a pop, I would buy it over and over again. But I also love a good barrel strength and I have a really hard time with anything under 100 proof at this point. Granted 100 proof is still nice and mellow compared to a 138, but the 80 proofs taste thin and watered down to me. They’re too mellowed. I feel the higher proofs have some viscosity and a greater mouth feel, plus I like the oak and pepper that you get along with all that heat.

Reactions: E-Train

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I’m not saying that the higher alcohol content automatically makes the bourbon good. But my favorites are all barrel strength varieties. I enjoy that Pikesville Rye (100 proof?) immensely and at $47 a pop, I would buy it over and over again. But I also love a good barrel strength and I have a really hard time with anything under 100 proof at this point. Granted 100 proof is still nice and mellow compared to a 138, but the 80 proofs taste thin and watered down to me. They’re too mellowed. I feel the higher proofs have some viscosity and a greater mouth feel, plus I like the oak and pepper that you get along with all that heat.

I think sometimes it depends on the purpose of the drink. Higher proof glasses, counterintuitively, are something I’ll drink when I’m not getting a buzz going... almost as a dessert. It’s a one off kind of thing. If I’m going to be drinking for a while (though I rarely drink enough to get drunk), I prefer something smoother.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I think sometimes it depends on the purpose of the drink. Higher proof glasses, counterintuitively, are something I’ll drink when I’m not getting a buzz going... almost as a dessert. It’s a one off kind of thing. If I’m going to be drinking for a while (though I rarely drink enough to get drunk), I prefer something smoother.

It’s definitely just a preference thing. If I’m planning to drink for a while or socially, I’ll usually go with a stronger beer (currently Dogfish Head Indian Brown Dark IPA). I’m not saying I won’t sip on a mellower whisky, but if I am drinking whiskey I prefer to just have a few smaller pours of the strong stuff and savor it a bit. I just really enjoy it. But that’s not an argument for it being superior in some way, just a personal thing. I don’t find it to not be smooth, per se. Just robust. Good to see some fellow whiskey drinkers.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It’s definitely just a preference thing. If I’m planning to drink for a while or socially, I’ll usually go with a stronger beer (currently Dogfish Head Indian Brown Dark IPA). I’m not saying I won’t sip on a mellower whisky, but if I am drinking whiskey I prefer to just have a few smaller pours of the strong stuff and savor it a bit. I just really enjoy it. But that’s not an argument for it being superior in some way, just a personal thing. I don’t find it to not be smooth, per se. Just robust. Good to see some fellow whiskey drinkers.

Right.

Oddly I’m drinking a Kentucky bourbon barrel ale right now. It’s alright. Like the Blue Pants Chocolate Oatmeal porter I also bought better.

On a slightly different note, I really need to catch back up on Turn.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Right.

Oddly I’m drinking a Kentucky bourbon barrel ale right now. It’s alright. Like the Blue Pants Chocolate Oatmeal porter I also bought better.

I think I’ve had the Kentucky bourbon barrel ale. I agree it’s just alright. I really enjoy certain barrel aged beers, but it doesn’t always do it for me. Typically stouts and porters do better in the barrel.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Dragons Milk Stout...

New Belgium has a few good brews. I’m a big fan of Founders KBS/CBS limited releases and lately I’ve been drinking a lot of the TX beers since that’s where I’m living and the Bourbon Barrell Hellfighter from Karbach is pretty good.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
New Belgium has a few good brews. I’m a big fan of Founders KBS/CBS limited releases and lately I’ve been drinking a lot of the TX beers since that’s where I’m living and the Bourbon Barrell Hellfighter from Karbach is pretty good.

Dragons Milk is New Holland, but of course you can be forgiven for the confusion! Ha

There are breweries everywhere in NC these days. Lots of people complain about the distributor restrictions (produce a certain number of bottles and you aren’t allowed to distribute yourself), but I think it keeps things local, which is a good thing in my mind.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Right.

On a slightly different note, I really need to catch back up on Turn.
Careful man... that stuff will get on top of u lol

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Can u guys please stop the talk about alcohol? No offense or anything but half the past few pages have been on that. I don't care about it..I'm sure there's an off topic place to go talk about it...but stop cluttering this thread with it.

I honestly thought we were in the post game thread for most of that.

Although, there’s really nothing to talk about in here right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->