Watch out for Spezza this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
This guy has become the "lost prospect" after all the hype when he was a junior but he could be poised for a huge year. After an extremely respectable first full NHL season in 03 (22g, 33a) he followed up with an amazing year for the baby sens. (32g, 85a) I think this could be the first of many years for Jason Spezza as a first-tier NHL player.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He'll be in the top 10 points no question in my mind. This past year he made huge strides and will be getting the #1 center spot in Ottawa. So yeah, not much of a prospect when he's a #1 center on a top team :P

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Im really excited about watching Ottawa this season, they are going to blow teams away! Insanely good top 6, even more so now in the cap world.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Spetz tied for 2nd on the Sens in 03-04 for even-strength scoring (42 ES pts, tied with Alfie. Hossa edged them out with 43) playing on the third line and second power-play unit. This season he'll get top line minutes playing, first power play duties, and better wingers. In a recent interview he did, when asked of the Sens' expectations of him, he said "I've only talked to [head coach Brian Murray] a little bit, but I think there are going to be high expectations of me. Not as high as the expectations I have for myself, though."

It's true that Spezza has been flying under the radar for some time now. Being a top prospect drafted by a deep team like Ottawa will do that to ya. I can't wait to see what he can do now that he'll be let loose offensively and have tons of minutes and great wingers to play with.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
theBob said:
Im really excited about watching Ottawa this season, they are going to blow teams away! Insanely good top 6, even more so now in the cap world.

Yeah, hopefully they actually start using their talent. Ottawa Senator games are lackluster when compared to the Lightning and Canucks, even though they have as much or more talent then both those teams...they're a great team, but a waste of so much talent. Let's hope Bryan Murray makes things happen.

The Fuhr*

jin said:
Yeah, hopefully they actually start using their talent. Ottawa Senator games are lackluster when compared to the Lightning and Canucks, even though they have as much or more talent then both those teams...they're a great team, but a waste of so much talent. Let's hope Bryan Murray makes things happen.

I don't know if you can call one of the Top 5 goal scoring teams over the last 3 years lackluster.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
the sens were boring to watch (although a great team), they put me to sleep one game :madfire:

i'm just hoping Murray changes that

Vipers

May 17, 2002
Visit site
I respect everythings that have been said up there, but be careful.
Lehoux was on pace to win AHL championship if you look only the statistics,
he signed up in Russia for good money because the team wasn't convinced that he
was a certitude to play NHL. That's go for everyone and it's not a criteria to evaluate a player. Statistics means that you have good hockey sense, stickhandling, vision and scoring ability. But doesn't show your work ethic,
your physical aptitude, if you're a go to man, if you play in traffic and your character and determination. Also, depends with who you're playing( the line).
You're playing with Thornton that's help.
You're playing with Odjick you make less points, it's almost 99% sure that you will make less points. This is an evidence.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Vipers said:
I respect everythings that have been said up there, but be careful.
Lehoux was on pace to win AHL championship if you look only the statistics,
he signed up in Russia for good money because the team wasn't convinced that he
was a certitude to play NHL. That's go for everyone and it's not a criteria to evaluate a player. Statistics means that you have good hockey sense, stickhandling, vision and scoring ability. But doesn't show your work ethic,
your physical aptitude, if you're a go to man, if you play in traffic and your character and determination. Also, depends with who you're playing( the line).
You're playing with Thornton that's help.
You're playing with Odjick you make less points, it's almost 99% sure that you will make less points. This is an evidence.

Spezza is 1000 times the player Lehoux will ever be...He just needs to play in the top 6 and not get benched for his rookie mistakes. Last yr was about confidence for him. He has loads of talent.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
jcorb58 said:
Spezza is 1000 times the player Lehoux will ever be...He just needs to play in the top 6 and not get benched for his rookie mistakes. Last yr was about confidence for him. He has loads of talent.

Exactly..and this year he'll be in the top 3 on the team. His confidence sky rocketed this year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I saw him live in a game in binghamton in February and he has improved his skating tremendously. He is so much faster then he was before its amazing, he has put alot of work in to get stronger and faster.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
To start let me say Spezza is one of my favorite players due to his incredible vision and hands.

I think he'll get 90 pts this year, I really think he's that good especially playing with top line mates like Hossa and Alfredsson.

On a side note I think he'll be in the top 10 in the league in rye and cokes bought at the bar as I saw him downing them friday and saturday night lol

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
ktownhockey said:
To start let me say Spezza is one of my favorite players due to his incredible vision and hands.

I think he'll get 90 pts this year, I really think he's that good especially playing with top line mates like Hossa and Alfredsson.

On a side note I think he'll be in the top 10 in the league in rye and cokes bought at the bar as I saw him downing them friday and saturday night lol

hahaha. he is nasty, im expecting big things from his this year, even though im a flyers fan. looking forward to seeing him play.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I like Spezza's game. Though I'm a caps fan I have to say Ottawa has some great players and is fun to watch play hockey.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I expect big things from Spezza in Jacques Martin less Ottawa Senators. I expect him to break the 100 point barrier within the next 5 years.

Barring injuries, he will have 70-85 points this season.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Hmmmm.

Does anyone else find it curious that a lot of us scream for more entertaining games and look for the solution in that via higher scoring......but I'm also seeing people on here talk about how boring the Sens are to watch. But they are one of the top scoring teams in the league each of the last few years.

Could higher scoring possibly NOT be the solution to more entertaining games then?

p.s. Can't wait to see what Spezza can do under a new coach, with top line minutes and (not holding my breath because just like always, once Halloween rolls around back comes the ghost of obstructions past.....) the new rules that will increase scoring chances by reducing obstruction.

p.p.s. If the Sens were near the top of the league in scoring each year the past few years....what will that core group of forwards and D-men do with a new coach, new rules designed to increase scoring?

This could be very, very interesting.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Spezza has so much talent. He'll be a top 10 scorer and go up from there. I think he'll become better then Lecavalier and maybe even Thornton for pure offense.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Nope, not at all. The Sens were boring to watch at times under Martin because of the modified trap they used which took away flow from the game.

This is true for the 97 (?) Red Wings and the Devils Cups also. Both teams were in the top 5 of scoring but their games were not that exciting. There's more play-stoppage when teams play the trap, etc etc etc

I personally could care less if every game is 3-2 like they were two years ago as long as they don't last three hours, have equal sog in the mid 20's with most sog are from the point with a prayer.

TexSen said:
Hmmmm.

Does anyone else find it curious that a lot of us scream for more entertaining games and look for the solution in that via higher scoring......but I'm also seeing people on here talk about how boring the Sens are to watch. But they are one of the top scoring teams in the league each of the last few years.

Could higher scoring possibly NOT be the solution to more entertaining games then?

p.s. Can't wait to see what Spezza can do under a new coach, with top line minutes and (not holding my breath because just like always, once Halloween rolls around back comes the ghost of obstructions past.....) the new rules that will increase scoring chances by reducing obstruction.

p.p.s. If the Sens were near the top of the league in scoring each year the past few years....what will that core group of forwards and D-men do with a new coach, new rules designed to increase scoring?

This could be very, very interesting.

luv_canadian_hockey

Jul 1, 2005
Mississauga
im so excited to see what jason spezza will do this year in the nhl...plus hes from mississauga...so its nice to see someone from here having success in the nhl..go jason :handclap:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Love Spezza, would like him better on Nash's right side..

course we don't have the juice to pull something like that off, or we would be Nash or Z less... and I don't like that scenario either. Glad the Sens are in the East - love the talent on your team.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm looking forward to watching the Sens play. A line of Heatley-Spezza-Havlat reminds me in a lot of ways of a young version the LA's AtoZ line. the AtoZ was one of my favorite lines to watch until everyone got broken. If the cap doesn't force it to break up, it should be a great line for a long time.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Ottawa is simply incredibly strong, Spezza should put huge numbers, unless the sens cant put all the ice time on one line only..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->