Watch Media Eat Their Words

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Was debating making this a thread or not, but I really think this will be a great discussion looking back at the articles that said we would be one of the worst teams in the league or even in history. With that said, one of the most glaring articles from the Expansion Draft was by Deadspin's Barry Petchesky titled "Wow The Golden Knights Are Going To Be Bad". https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-knights-are-going-to-be-bad-1796327043

Surprisingly, he posted an article in response to that titled "The Golden Knights Made Me Look Stupid". https://deadspin.com/the-golden-knights-made-me-look-stupid-1824104663

It is amazing what this team has done, so it is really fun to look back at all the times we have been thought to be jokes.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Like this quote from 2nd Deadspin article
Historically, most NHL expansion teams have needed five-plus seasons to make the playoffs. The Golden Knights aren’t merely the first expansion team to make the playoffs in their inaugural season since the NHL expanded from six teams; they’re the first expansion team in the the Big Four North American sports since 1960 to have a winning record in their first season.

Very impressive.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Editorial | Vegas Golden Knights have beaten the odds

What is the secret to the Golden Knights' success?
[Pundit 1:] But the most important factor in the Golden Knights' success has been something intangible, rather than calculable. Consider the carrots that have dangled in front of this racehorse throughout the season. You have a roster of players basically all playing for contracts, either to stay in Vegas or to impress a future employer. You have a roster of players uniquely motivated to get one over on the teams that sent them away, and every homecoming or revenge night became a clarion rallying call for the rest of the locker room.
[Pundit 2:]If you ask the Golden Knights why they've been so successful -- and I inquired with few of them recently while in Vegas -- they'll point to a combination of things, but a balanced roster is certainly among them. I'll let winger James Neal explain: "Well, we have a world-class goalie in Marc-Andre Fleury who gives us a chance every night. Our coaching staff has been unbelievable; they give us the opportunity to show what we have. Guys who haven't had chances in the past are thriving because they aren't worried about making mistakes. But it starts with the way they picked our team. They picked guys who fit in the right spots, who can play with each other, so we have a good mixture from our first line to our fourth line."

Good locker room inspiration.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad