Post-Game Talk: Washington vs tb

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah this. That whole "desperation" thing just wreaks like garbage to me. The Caps had a chance to stomp on the necks and came out flat at home twice. So what this all says is that winning a Cup is less a motivation than losing a Cup. If they play harder only when they have to, what does that really say about their desire to win, vs their desire to not lose?

I dunno. You're right, they could have used this effort in games 3 or 4. Or 5. Why save it til now?

No room here for your pissy misery today.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovi was a monster last night. You can tell he wants it so bad, and the team followed suit on his intensity hitting everything and skating hard in game 6. Lead by example, as a captain should. If he brings that same mentality to game 7 which I'm very certain he will, and holtby is simply his solid self, we'll be going to our first final in 20 years

I think he’s smart enough to realize the field is wide open and the window is closing.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Best year for Orpik as a Cap. At least in terms of postseason performance. Batya.

Not close. He was outstanding yesterday. Crushing people with clean hits that created turnovers.

What was different about last night that made it so he could play like that? Just thinking back to his idiotic hit on Maatta from two years ago, and it's hard to think the same player could be this smart, and that stupid.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Not close. He was outstanding yesterday. Crushing people with clean hits that created turnovers.

What was different about last night that made it so he could play like that? Just thinking back to his idiotic hit on Maatta from two years ago, and it's hard to think the same player could be this smart, and that stupid.

The difference is the entire team was playing a smothering game again, the same thing that won 4 in a row against columbus, the series against the pens and the first two games vs the lightning. When the game gets speedy Orpik struggles. When we smother and slow them down Orpik can play his game which he excels at.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Yeah this. That whole "desperation" thing just wreaks like garbage to me. The Caps had a chance to stomp on the necks and came out flat at home twice. So what this all says is that winning a Cup is less a motivation than losing a Cup. If they play harder only when they have to, what does that really say about their desire to win, vs their desire to not lose?

I dunno. You're right, they could have used this effort in games 3 or 4. Or 5. Why save it til now?

You can't fake desperation. And the desire to win is the same as not losing, so I think your creating a bit of a strawman.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
they better win G7. but honestly i dont know what to think about it. if tampa scores early, i can see caps in full panic mode, known from G7 against penguins last year. instant lose. if caps scores first and continue to dominate 5 on 5, well.. bring it on vegas

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Do not undersell Oshie's ability to float perfectly in that box of Pkers and get open, and then one-time the pass short side knowing Vasi would be moving the other way. He's done that before and it's clearly a set play. Pretty awesome.

Or subtle Kuznetsov who steps in front of goal and then jumps out of the way just in time. You could tell Kuzy’s presence in front caused a quick adjustment from Vasi which disrupts his timing on the shot. The whole play looks simple but there’s a symphonic quality to it all. And, man, talk about a much needed goal...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yes, it's been a great season. I've seen them get up and answer the bell all season. Nothing has come easy for them unlike previous Caps iterations. They may be the ones to get it done but even if it goes sideways Wednesday I hope everyone can still recognize through the frustration what a team this has been.

Would hope so. This is the 2nd most succesful season ever, behind 1998. If one wants to nitpick, sure...the '90 team also made it to the ECF. But they got swept. So, these 3 wins represent a larger accomplishment, IMO.

One More Game.

And again.....we all need to Stand Down and allow @AlexBrovechkin8 start the game day thread. It's ordained. And YES, I am highly superstitious.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Honestly? Because there are 2 teams here. I think Tampa came out flat in games 1 & 2, and ratcheted it up. We were hard pressed to match their play. It took 3 games for them to figure out what to do.

Your statements make it seem like you think they werent trying as hard as they could. I dont buy that. At all. Plus Tampa is really really really good.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Would hope so. This is the 2nd most succesful season ever, behind 1998. If one wants to nitpick, sure...the '90 team also made it to the ECF. But they got swept. So, these 3 wins represent a larger accomplishment, IMO.

One More Game.

And again.....we all need to Stand Down and allow @AlexBrovechkin8 start the game day thread. It's ordained. And YES, I am highly superstitious.

I accept.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
Do not undersell Oshie's ability to float perfectly in that box of Pkers and get open, and then one-time the pass short side knowing Vasi would be moving the other way. He's done that before and it's clearly a set play. Pretty awesome.

Trotz mentioned much earlier this season, that the Caps had a shot location where they had a 30% success rate. I was pretty sure then,and still am, that is indeed 'Oshie's House'.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trotz mentioned much earlier this season, that the Caps had a shot location where they had a 30% success rate. I was pretty sure then,and still am, that is indeed 'Oshie's House'.

I think we talked about it, yeah. There really isn't anywhere else on the ice that's going to be that high.

The problem is it seemed like they were trying to get all their shots from that area instead of realizing that the high numbers are due in part to the fact that a lot of those come from defensive breakdowns or rushes. If you just keep trying to feed the slot over and over then the other team will eventually stop you.

superglove39

Mar 29, 2008
The physical game last night made a huge difference. Hit Tampa early and often in G7. Those guys don’t want any more of that. You could see it as the game wore on that they were avoiding checks. Get them worried about it early on Wednesday.
Bingo! YUGE difference! Giving Tampa any time and space has shown to be a costly mistake. 39 to 19 hits last night in the Caps favor, was key. To see the head-down and vacant stare on Kucherov's face towards the end of the game was priceless. No Mas! (or however you say it in Russian).

Tampa will be all in and desperate in Game 7. Vasilevskiy will stand on his head. The Caps need to play as hard and as structured as they did in Game 6, and they have an equal chance of winning. Then, however the puck bounces--so be it.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
If they play like that again game 7 will be another blow out. Vasi played great but also got incredibly lucky last night. I don't see that happening two games in a row.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
ML.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad