OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
DRC and Scandrick are has been, washed up garbage. Again, this team wouldn't pursue Mathieu but yeah let's sign some guys who are way past their prime to take Breeland or Fuller's spot. It makes ZERO sense.

Mathieu can’t stay on the field. Chances are he wasn’t interested in us either. Breeland was barely average too often.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
LOL.

Hankins is a good player though, IMO. Far better than Scandrick (so...more costly). Sign him and we really are in a position to draft BPA at 13.

Or, again....make Ripened Fruit happy and trade back. Which, as this off season progresses, is seeming more and more like a good solution.

If we had 16m left, just used say 4m of it on Scandrick, then we have 12m left. Sign someone worthwhile for 8m (preferrably for D or OL), and then draft away......

I know I know....it’s just not a sexy signing....he’d be a nice pickup.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Mathieu can’t stay on the field. Chances are he wasn’t interested in us either. Breeland was barely average too often.

Scandrick hasn't been able to stay on the field either. He has missed 25 of the last 48 Cowboy games. He is old, and Kevin and Coolie mentioned he may not be the best locker room guy.

Few players embodied the Cowboys' defense over the last decade more than Scandrick: He was a good, hard-working pro and a decent player who did not realize he wasn't as good as he thought.

Read more here: Orlando Scandrick was the Cowboys defense, which was the issue

Reactions: G F O P

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Breeland barely average? Against Antonio and Dez that one game 2 years ago, but last seaaon Breeland was above average in most games if not excellent. He graded out higher than Norman.

He doesn't have the same reputation as his teammate Norman, but quietly Breshaud Breeland had a stellar season for the Washington Redskins. His vastly improved balance on changes in direction resulted in 19 passes defensed, a career high. He's an excellent athlete, capable of playing press-man coverage and routinely forcing tough catches.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I can't recall being as irritated or frustrated with a Redskins FA signing in a very long time. THis is one of the worst deals I've EVER seen this FO make. They better get Hankins because if they don't they would have gone cheap and signed a stopgap for a year or so. I absolutely agree, it's a damn downgrade. You let go of two 20-something backs, one of them with a bright side, and replace them with an aging veteran whose play is on the decline. Honestly I do not understand the logic here. I'm not a football guru, I'm no genius, but this is literally common sense that they got WORSE in a position they were supposed to get BETTER in. It doesn't take a ****ing genius to figure that out.

I’m trying to follow your rant here. You upset Breeland is our and Scandrick is in? Or Fuller for Scandrick?

Fuller was price to get Smith. It’s not like they wanted to lose him. Breeland is damaged goods, IMO. Head case, expensive, and simply a dim bulb. I’m not a huge fan of Scandricks, but he’s far cheaper than Breeland, both in term and cost. DCR prob want 8m plus. So Scandrick over him.

And Honey Badger wasn’t shopping himself. He could’ve gotten 10-11m people were saying. He went to Houston on a 1yr prove it deal. We weren’t ever a part of that.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Breeland barely average? Against Antonio and Dez that one game 2 years ago, but last seaaon Breeland was above average in most games if not excellent. He graded out higher than Norman.

He doesn't have the same reputation as his teammate Norman, but quietly Breshaud Breeland had a stellar season for the Washington Redskins. His vastly improved balance on changes in direction resulted in 19 passes defensed, a career high. He's an excellent athlete, capable of playing press-man coverage and routinely forcing tough catches.

He got thrown at. A lot. He gave up a lot of big plays. 19 passes defensed is 1 a game. That’s good?

Sep 19, 2008
I’m trying to follow your rant here. You upset Breeland is our and Scandrick is in? Or Fuller for Scandrick?

Fuller was price to get Smith. It’s not like they wanted to lose him. Breeland is damaged goods, IMO. Head case, expensive, and simply a dim bulb. I’m not a huge fan of Scandricks, but he’s far cheaper than Breeland, both in term and cost. DCR prob want 8m plus. So Scandrick over him.

And Honey Badger wasn’t shopping himself. He could’ve gotten 10-11m people were saying. He went to Houston on a 1yr prove it deal. We weren’t ever a part of that.

Scandrick is much older than either though. "Mathieu is injury prone" some say, but if he's that what is Scandrick? Someone above posted how many games he missed. This signing is just an attempt to get a body to fill in the corner position when Hankins hopefully agrees which is the best case scenario. Worst case scenario is Hankins goes somewhere else and Scandrick is left on the roster to either sit out injured or play subpar football.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Scandrick is much older than either though. "Mathieu is injury prone" some say, but if he's that what is Scandrick? Someone above posted how many games he missed. This signing is just an attempt to get a body to fill in the corner position when Hankins hopefully agrees which is the best case scenario. Worst case scenario is Hankins goes somewhere else and Scandrick is left on the roster to either sit out injured or play subpar football.

No one is arguing that Scandrick is better than Mathieu. But Mathieu had an agenda, and we didn’t fit it. Can’t do much w that. Let’s see where DCR signs and for how much. I think he is better than Scandrick, even when healthy. If he’s a 5m player, then that was botched by moving too fast. However, bird in hand....etc etc.

If they don’t sign Scandrick, it probably means they are forced to pick a CB in top 2rounds. Now, they are ok. He’s a slot CB, I believe. Moreau should play a lot more too. And I’d imagine there will be a slew of post draft July 1 castoffs that they can sift thru for the secondary.

It also says “up to 10m in 2years”. It may be a lot lower for this year and be based on bonuses for games played etc. He may be a lot lower than these other guys to come and add veteran depth. Wait until it all shakes out?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He got thrown at. A lot. He gave up a lot of big plays. 19 passes defensed is 1 a game. That’s good?

PD is a joke stat. Tight coverage dictates a throw away and no chance of a PD.

Do you think Norman was better? I have yet to find anywhere that grades him worse than Norman last year. Take a look at PFF. He is not a top corner sure which means he is going to take his lumps. IIRC he was graded top 30 3 years in a row at PFF.

Durability and tackling are nothing to ignore when grading corners. He did great vs the run.

Everyone knows why they don't like Breeland.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
In all honesty all this crap is because of how we handled CK going back two years. If we wouldn't have screwed that up we wouldn't be sitting here this off-season making moves just to keep the roster even with last year. The Smith trade was needed to fix the QB issue, which led to another hole, and its a domino effect. If we didn't suck at evaluating young talent and have this fear of locking up young players to a good contract we wouldn't need to be dumpster diving to fill a roster. When the dust settles I have a strong feeling were going to be looking at another 8-8ish roster. We still have holes at RB/DT/G and honestly need help at TE/WR/CB/LB as well. We are going to need a heck of a draft.

Man I hate this front office.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It is remarkable, we graduated a very good 4th round QB, and let him leave! Rookie mistake, Bruce. He should be fired for this.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
PD is a joke stat. Tight coverage dictates a throw away and no chance of a PD.

Do you think Norman was better? I have yet to find anywhere that grades him worse than Norman last year. Take a look at PFF. He is not a top corner sure which means he is going to take his lumps. IIRC he was graded top 30 3 years in a row at PFF.

Durability and tackling are nothing to ignore when grading corners. He did great vs the run.

Everyone knows why they don't like Breeland.

Bashaud Breeland | Washington Redskins RCB | NFL and PFF stats | Pro Football Focus

Ranking 54th, classification - Average

He’s had better years than last that’s for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I am not that moved by the Scandrick signing. They needed a Vet CB to play slot CB to hedge against Dr Moreau/Holsey not being ready for bigger roles. It seems clear DRC wanted a lot more than 5 mil a year so they settled. Would of rather they brought back Will Blackmon over Scandrick but whatever. Ideally Dr Moreau/Holsey take the Slot CB role and run with it and Scandrick rides the pine/mentors young CBs/contributes on teams or is cut before the season starts.

Having said that, for those counting on comp picks next year, this is the price to pay for coveting comp picks. Dumpster diving for other teams discarded crap.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Feel for the guy getting snaked out of that money in BAL, but at least he found a home quickly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Rooting for Grant.

Regarding Hurns, he's a talent you'd like to have, maybe instead of Quick. His issue seems to be staying on the field.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Signing these cut guys is genius since they don’t impact compesatory picks. They’re stop-gap JAGs and NFL flotsam, but you always need a certain amount of bodies in the modern NFL meat grinder.

Hopefully someone is listening to the arguments some of you are making about Breeland and signs him to more than a prove-it deal. We needed him to cancel out the Richardson signing. Whining about losing him hopefully drums up his value, so keep doing it. I for one am not gonna miss that bozo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->